• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm expecting delivery soon of a new Mac Pro, nicely loaded, which I purchased mainly because of all the work I do with video. Yet, I read in a review that Adobe Premiere Pro isn't optimized to take advantage of the new Mac Pro, won't run faster, and I'm better off using Apple's Final Cut.

1. Is this true?; and

2. If so, will Premiere Pro be updated any time soon to run best on a 2014 Mac Pro?

My new Mac Pro will have the following configuration:

•3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache

•32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC

•1TB PCIe-based flash storage

•Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 325 Replies 325
Contributor ,
Feb 26, 2015 Feb 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any help appreciated. should  we be reinstalling a previous version of  premiere,???  what does adobe say  please?

just can't got through another adobe chat session was just an hour to answer one simple question which they got wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware that reverting back to an older version means you won't be able to

open any projects made with the current version. I'm in that boat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with a completely fresh install of Premiere on a fresh OS.  I doubt re-installing will help you.  Adobe chat was pretty useless for me as well.  They just suggest everything you find in this thread which - as we all know - does not solve anything.

I'm kicking myself because I read the threads about the 10.9.3 update breaking GPU support before I bought the MacPro.  I  did read (and re-read) that the 10.9.4 fixed this problem, but I feel like I never really got a straight answer on that.  Even now, searching all over these forums and the internet, I've yet to find a post from someone editing 4K RAW footage on a Mac Pro, on Yosemite (10.10.1 or higher), using GPU Rendering and getting smooth playback.  I'd love to see someone post a link to refute that.  My words would never taste so good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 27, 2015 Feb 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are looking for information about adobe pro and premiere (as i did) search engines throw  up dave helms video where he shows  how amazing it is.

what i have discovered any comments (like those here)  that contradict this point of  view  are deleted almost immediately .

I think this is morally reprehensible adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dakuswolf,

what i have discovered any comments (like those here)  that contradict this point of  view  are deleted almost immediately .

I think this is morally reprehensible adobe.

That's not true. I have never deleted threads from this post. We're not in the habit of doing so.

If you are looking for information about adobe pro and premiere (as i did) search engines throw  up dave helms video where he shows  how amazing it is.

For most people, it's fine. Are you having trouble with your machine?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all my comments  on Dave Helmly you tube mac pro premiere advert have been deleted  in the last 12hours.

This is the no1 site you arrive at if you search/ask mac pro and premiere? i.e u want to know  if  it works.

Dave helm does a great ad  for  premier and mac pro and delete s anything that say s otherwise.

this is fundamentally wrong.

really wrong.

Q  does  CL work with mac pro  yosmeti?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so discouraged by these companies who take our money and tell us what we want to hear. Then, when we experience issues, they ignore us. Hey guys, we are trying to make a living here! So depressing. The answer is NOT to buy a more expensive Mac Pro (I have already upgraded once…experienced the same problems and the solution from Mac was to spend another two grand). Adobe told me I obviously had not done my homework on the MacPro before I bought it. He was right. I had not. Apple blames Adobe. Adobe blames Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2015 Mar 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's such a disappointment to be treated like this by two companies we PAY and rely on to make an income. I am seriously discourage. Returned my Mac Pro and am now talking to Dell. The GPU is the main issue. Adobe told me not to waste my money (my words) on upgrading my MacPro in terms of cores and GPU. Doing that would not solve the crashing and many other horrible issues I was having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wish that they would  give answers. what are optimum setting  for mac pro with premiere.  I like what premiere and after effects  can potentially do but is this  something  that a user can fix or not? .

i just wasted 4 hours  trying to render a 3 minute clip; crashed after an hour each time.

I turned back on mercury GPU playback and  it rendered in 6 minutes.?

should i keep mercury GPU playback on support said  turn it off but wouldn't tell me why?   need info from adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is very funny. I experienced the craziest crashes for no reason at all. No rendering, no color correction. Just playing through a green timeline. I kept a copy of the error report and message (that I had never seen before). The rep said I needed to recreate the issue. I told him I had no idea why it happened so could not recreate it. He said call back after it happens again. Can't help you now, sorry. Well, it did happen again, along with many other crashes too. I decided to send the Mac Pro back to Apple and find a better solution. I really think the Fire Pro GPU is to blame. This is what another Adobe rep insinuated. I am looking at a Dell workstation. Just need to make sure I get all the right specs. I am sure everyone who has had issues like these can relate to the time and money wasted, not to mention the intense frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Day

I emphasize with you 1000%. These experiences nowadays are the new "normal" instead of the exception! Just please make sure in your purchase of a Dell ( or other pc maker)device; that minimum specifications hardware, software wise are EXCEEDED( which I know you are aware of) also get a longer than normal return period for your device so you can test it,use it extensively!! Additionally DO NOT buy products that are made for consumers---buy from a certified reseller--the term is buying thru the channel. Sorry Apple stores but it is true!

One last thing I noticed is that CPU brand was not noted while the mac device had AMD GPU's ---PLease note that even though my next statement may sound like I am fan boy of one brand over another--I am NOT!!! I want value, use--5-10 years plus for my/our money!! Going back to when AMD bought ATI my huge (100000 users) graphic designer, publishers, jazz musicians client base has experienced TERRIBLE THINGS USING all that is adobe especially premier pro , photoshop , crap flash, reader acrobat pro, and indesign on pcs/macs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 22, 2015 Feb 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My particular frustration - general low performance and long render times using AE and Premiere together seems a lot better after turning  Multiprocessing 'on' in AE!

I still have to switch back to AE in order for a preview to render quickly in Premiere though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2015 Feb 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the dynamic linking leaves much to be desired. I usually just quit AE to render in premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save your self --money, aggravation, and the precept of pay as you use adobe premier pro -no need to be the test victim while we/adobe laughs all the way to the bank. Just use Apple's final cut!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Syronknat,

Save your self --money, aggravation, and the precept of pay as you use adobe premier pro -no need to be the test victim while we/adobe laughs all the way to the bank. Just use Apple's final cut!

Are you having trouble with your 2013 Mac Pro? Let us know specifics by creating your own post. Most people have no trouble operating Premiere Pro.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my machines are clean imac, lenovolaptops with adobe premier pro and some other adobe apps :but the apple mac pro's is another story. thankfully we have moved on. thanks for asking and for sure if I need your help and you are willing I will ask nicely. thanks have a good week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I guess it shouldn't be surprising that CC isn't optimized for dual GPU use since it's an Apple design, and Apple wants you to use FCPX.

Uh, I've been looking at a few of your comments and I'm just taking a guess you are not a mac user? I have PC and Mac, but find Mac extremely time saving in regards to film production with many of it's applications, crossover to my phone, etc.

This dual GPU problem is not an apple one where they want everyone to use FCP... Many of my 3d rendering apps and other GPU intensive software has no issues. This I can only honestly conclude it is an Adobe issue. I'm going to have to trust Apple on this one. many of Adobe's architectures for their software is a patchwork of inefficient code.  They should have re-codes at 64bit from scratch , then they would have been ahead of the game.  It's a pretty well known, especially when you start comparing it to Fusion; even the program is immensely smaller, with just as many if not more built in plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a Mac user but apple somehow manages to break their own hardware often enough for me to complain now and again.

I just assume they make it difficult for other developers intentionally because they don't seem like a very friendly company

--

Brian Nunes

Worldtree Films, LLC

www.worldtreefilms.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2015 Mar 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac Pro (late 2013) D700 OSX 10.10.2   Premiere 2014.2

Still having issues with the timeline freezing during playback and scrubbing.  Locking up Premiere and having to restart the app every 10 - 15 min. I took my mac into the apple store again and they ran their hardware test and no issues found . . .  I almost purchased an iMac.  This is pretty ridiculous.  It's been 10 months Adobe.  C4D works, DaVinci works, Final Cut X works . . .  I would feel a lot better if Adobe fully acknowledged the problem and had a plan of action to get it resolved.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2015 Mar 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a maxed out Mac Pro 2014

-12 core 2.7

- 64 GB RAM

- 2x D700 firepro 6gb video.

Premiere CC keeps on crashing!

I've reinstalled software, deleted all plugins, did a clean OSX install, reduced the projects from 4k to 1080P, deleted all rendered files, set everything to read/write, contacted customer service,

had 3 hours of watching my mac being taken over by someone from Customer Care.

Did not help at all.

I'm starting to get really disappointed.

I bought the fastest mac there is for Adobe programs. And now I have deadlines I can't even make.

Please help, I'm getting helpless

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so sickened by reading your post. I was told to delete my plugins also, but the problems persist in spite of that. Horrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok this is a partly issue I've found.

This sounds very weird but when I scroll sideways on my mouse (finger left to right, like a page forward/backward)

The project crashes. Once I dont do that often, it gets more stable.

It's doesn't completely work, because once every 10 minutes it crashes, but still it works a lot better without swiping the magic mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW! I use a magic mouse too. I am going to do some tests with this new info. Thank you!

Are you using RedGiant plugins? Not long ago I called Adobe due to crazy crashing problems and the rep told me that plugins are responsible for the majority of issues they fix. He pulled them out of my apps and set them on the desktop. I have not used them since. Asked RedGiant if they've ever heard of this and they asked for specifics. Anyway, I still have "Serious Error" crashes on a regular basis…plugins or no plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen anecdotal reports of trouble on Yosemite with the magic mouse. You might try switching to a regular mouse and see if that makes any difference.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's pretty disappointing that the latest and greatest from two of the worlds leading tech companies succumbs to something as simple as a squeaky mouse

Really Apple / Adobe?

--

Brian Nunes

Worldtree Films, LLC

www.worldtreefilms.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines