Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC crashes when I try to change the file name before export

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This issue recently started happening - Premiere Pro CC crashes when I try to change the file name before an export. Premiere runs smoothly at every part of the edit until I come to exporting a file either directly or through media encoder. I can get as far as changing all export settings but as soon as I click the filename to change it, I get an error message (attached).

Never had this before, not installed anything new on my system, running windows 10, decent specs etc.

All adobe software is up to date also.

Any ideas on this? This is my first posting so sorry if I have missed anything off that will help you guys!

Cheers in advance,

Joeerror message.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

I just found a suggestion that worked. Changing the render settings to "Mercury Engine Playback Software Only" solves the problem. I'm not sure of the impact this will have, but I'm not making many big projects, so that's okay.

I also don't know the cause - maybe I don't have the correct graphics drivers or something, but for now, this fixes my issue

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Focuspulling

Oh totally. This is Adobe's fault - no question. I'm just explaining how pernicious and persistent this problem is. The only way I was able to get past it was by literally buying a new PC. That's BONKERS. That's LUDICROUS. That's the kind of thing that makes people migrate to Da Vinci.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing the problem many times a day, really frustrating. Something two things that I have found that have worked for me:

1) Run the app as an administrator. Right click the desktop shortcut then "Run as administrator" this greatly reduces the problem but doesnt actually eliminate it. I am able to work this way.

Note: When I run as administrator, I cannot seem to drag and drop from explorer to premiere pro, i have to import footage from within premiere pro

2) Reduce premiere pro from full screen to a window. This seems to work well for me, haven't had a crash since.

Note: When I select this method, I cannot view full screen preview on the second monitor.

If anyone can try this and verify if it works on their side?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact issue, and I agree that it isn't solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced this problem with Premiere Pro 2018 and now 2019. Did anyone figure out a legit fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. Running latest version via cloud update. Turning off Mercury GPU acceleration does solve my problem but severely impacts performance. This is a major issue as I am having to toggle the Project Settings > General > Video Rendering and Playback > Renderer every time I export my files!

Premiere 13.0.1 (Build 13)

Windows 10 Version 1803 , OS build 17134.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on Windows, uninstall OneDrive and set it on fire. Premiere runs 10x more stable without it in my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the tip and yes I would love to set it on fire but I need it to transfer files in and out of my companies enterprise cloud. Also Premieres stability should not be dependent on external software like OneDrive. I would hope Adobe could work with Microsoft to remediate any stability issues with OneDrive if they do exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd hope, but you'd be wrong. This is a 2 year old problem and neither software company is taking responsibility, so users are left holding the bag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just started to happen to me at work but not at home. Two things that are different from both that allow it to work.

My PC at home uses Nvidia card but none of the drivers are installed and it works.

But at work, my PC got the issue. However, I grabbing the latest Driver for Nvidia (Version 417.01 at the time) and the issue was resolved.

Hopefully this helps a bit with those who have this issue. I don't run AMD, so unfortunately I do not have answers for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. Updating video drivers didn't not fix my issue unfortunately.

Geforce GTX 1080

was 397.31

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try doing a clean install of the drivers? If you DL the drivers from the NVIDIA site, and run the executable (rather than trusting the GeForce Experience to do it for you), and then select the custom install option, it lets you do a clean install, which seems more reliable in my experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i resolved this issue by changing my renderer to "software only" and then back to "GPU acceleration/CUDA" and then also restarting Premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip @ _yuwara. Unfortunately this did not work for me and now Premiere is also crashing when my project is set to 'Mercury Playback Engine Software Only'. My export directory is essentially stuck in the 'C:\Users\Public\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\13.0\Tutorial\Going Home project' folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating to the latest version of Premiere Pro CC has fixed my problem. I no longer crash when changing the output name in the export settings. Thank you to all who attempted to help me with this issue.

Premiere Pro CC Version 13.0.02 (Build 38)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens to me too. I actually EXPECT it to happen so often that I save my project before clicking the link to rename the file.

Windows 10 / GTX1070 / SSD's

If I restart Premiere the problem goes away, but then returns after a while of using Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah i do the same

yet it still manages to surprise me sometimes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add another me too - this bug has plagued me over the last year. I am still on v12 as I am on a big project and I don't trust upgrading it. I hope v13 fixes this for others. I certainly don't want to have to have software only render on. I don't want to stop using OneDrive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem, caused me to quite often lose work.  Very annoying.  All it's doing is browsing the file system!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

I also have the same problem, caused me to quite often lose work.  Very annoying.  All it's doing is browsing the file system!!

It's incredible that Adobe has totally ignored this issue for many years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it's still happening....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem, and downgrading to software rendering isn't acceptable.  Come on Adobe.  This needs sorting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rich,

Try checking permissions for the folder where you are trying to save. Make sure they are set to Read/Write. Did that help? Need help with that? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That has absolutely nothing to do with it, Adobe Employee (but sure, I just checked).

Instead of sending questions back to us, perhaps finally do something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines