• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC Support for Sony's XAVC S (not XAVC)

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this asked in various places however nobody from Adobe has addressed the issue so the result is a bunch of speculation from other users.  Could someone from Adobe PLEASE tell us if there are plans to support Sony's XACV S codec in Premiere Pro CC and if so when we can expect to see this support added.  Sony's had a couple of really great 4k camera's available for some time now however if there's not going to be support for the codec there's really no point to buying one.  I really want to start adjusting my workflow to support 4K but I can't really begin to do that without knowing if or when Adobe will support XAVC S.  An answer from someone at Adobe would be greatly appreciated or if other users have an info I'll take whatever I can get.  Thanks!

-Chuck

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 26, 2015 Feb 26, 2015

Hi Chuck,

I really want to start adjusting my workflow to support 4K but I can't really begin to do that without knowing if or when Adobe will support XAVC S.  An answer from someone at Adobe would be greatly appreciated or if other users have an info I'll take whatever I can get. 

Support for XAVC-S was added in Premiere Pro CC.1 (7.1). Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carsten, here is a screen-grab of my FDR-AX100 100 Mbps XAVC-S.  I see no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer - and nice for you:-) I can also get clear image in

the viewer (most of the time) - the problem is worst in the browser. Most

time I can click the thumbnail at se the material, but I miss out the good

overview. And when I export, I sometimes get red frames

2016-11-08 17:44 GMT+01:00 Bill Gehrke <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Premiere Pro CC Support for Sony's XAVC S (not XAVC) created by Bill

Gehrke <https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bill+Gehrke> in Premiere Pro - View

the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/9123085#9123085>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the problem I’m facing is that I set the recording in sony a7s to be XACV-S file format, but all the files on my SD card (sony 64GB class10) all appear to be in MP4, both in Quicktime and Premiere Pro CC. I’m confused as to whether I’m benefiting from the XACV-S recording file format or not or what I have is just MP4 file. Do I need to convert the MP4 files that appear in my card to something else?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I record 4k using XACV-S codec with Sony ax100 and ax1 and it is mpeg4 (3840x2160) and work in both CS6 and CC14 with Blackmagic presets

and it is a smooth and beauty to see.  You can also use the red 4k presets for your XACV-S-100-150 editing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

parindaw85648790 did you ever get a reply to this? i'm using a7s footage for the first time, and having similar issues, and i'm shocked at how hard it is to find a straigthforward workflow explanation online... i've shot XAVC S, 60fps footage, and upon importing into premiere (via media browser, maintaining the original file structure), it shows up as 23.976 H264 files. I can't find any sequence settings that allow me to edit the sequence natively, everything involves rendering.

i'm sure there's an operator error on my end but if anyone has a useful workflow post out there i'd much appreciate it-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XAVC S is a special format that i have never it before, i am not sure weather it can supported by Premiere Pro CC. But it has claimed the XAVA formats was supported on the latest version, so, i think the XAVC S format you said will be supported on the last update version. Maybe this is not the best solution. If you are eager to solve this issue, you coule try to convert XAVC S to other format such as MP4,MOV,FLV,etc.And then you can edit it derectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sony FDR ax 1 shoots in that format likewise the smaller one ax100 and ax 33. The XAVC S is the camera format (Codec) and the video formats

are MP4 and MP2 The AX1 record in these specs

XAVC-S: MP4 (4:2:0, 150 Mbps, 4K 3840 x 2160/60p)

XAVC-S: MP4 (4:2:0, 150 Mbps, 4K 3840 x 2160/50p)

XAVC-S: MP4 (4:2:0, 60 or 100 Mbps, 4K 3840 x 2160/30p)

XAVC-S: MP4 (4:2:0, 60 or 100 Mbps, 4K 3840 x 2160/25p)

XAVC-S: MP4 (4:2:0, 60 or 100 Mbps, 4K 3840 x 2160/24p)

XAVC-S: MP4 (4:2:0, 50 Mbps, HD 1920 x 1080)

So PPro handles that easily but the 4k is the problem as the only template is the red.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2016 Feb 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest Premiere CC update.  When I film in the file format, "XAVC S HD/4K", my computer or Premiere CC won't recognize the file.  Please advise. Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 11.03.55 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the looks of your screenshot those are not the video files so it's normal to get that "not supported" if you import those folders (which are AVCHD...more on that later). I have shot 4K stuff in both XAVCs flavors on my A7RII and haven't had issues editing the footage in Premiere. Now I have the last version of CC, not the latest update because I'm still working on older projects started in the previous version, but I'd imagine they still work fine or you'd hear it a lot more in these forums. As for the AVCHD folder thing from your screenshot...It also looks like from your screenshot you're in an AVCHD folder there which isn't where you'll find the XAVCs files...there in the PRIVATE>M4ROOT>CLIP folder...Anyway, hope all this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny thing I just downloaded a Cinema DNG file and initially on import I got the same error message but being persistent I got the folder they were in to the Project window.and magically got them to "Automate to Sequence" and appear in the timeline and played beautifully.

Another surprise is I have a Sony FDR-AX100 which can produce 4K 100Mbits/second XAVC S files.  It edits in CS6 beautifully even on this laptop.

Also I see a no-no, you apparently have your media files on your boot drive in the "Users Folder",

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To successfully import Sony's XACV S codec in Premiere Pro CC, it is better to convert XAVC/XAVC S to HD MPEG-2 to import to Premiere Pro CS3/CS4/CS5/CS6;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kandym33747408 wrote:

To successfully import Sony's XACV S codec in Premiere Pro CC, it is better to convert XAVC/XAVC S to HD MPEG-2 to import to Premiere Pro CS3/CS4/CS5/CS6;

I do not understand your statement.  For CS6 and CC there is absolutely no need to convert the unconverted media plays smoothly and I am recording the 100 Mbits/second data and editing on my high end laptop without any problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 16, 2016 Apr 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no problem too. It is all about selecting the right preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2016 May 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to import XACVS on my CS6 it does not recognize the files. Does it work on CS6?  How do you get it to recognized those files? What preset are you referring to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2016 May 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no need to select a preset.

1. Open CS6
  2. Cancel select preset
  3. Import your XAVC S media
  4. Drag the media down to "New Item" icon
  5. It will create a sequence with the proper preset and put the media in the timeline for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It won't allow me to import the xavc s media.  It says "Unsupported format or damaged file." An suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Premiere CS6 do you have?  The last version is 6.0.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to 6.0.5 and still get the same "unsupported format of damaged file" when I try to import the xavc s files. I go into roots>clips>and then I see the mp4 files with the thumbnail. I can open them on VCL or Quicktime, but they won't import natively. Any other recommendations -- maybe find a way to transcode them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard my previous post.  I reimported the card into the computer and it worked! I guess the upgrade to 6.0.5 did the trick. Bill, you're a life-saver.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've got Mainconcept plug-in working with Premiere CS6 but updated with 6.05 update or even 6.03.

I can read AVC-I 100 MXF files from Sony which seems to be an improvement to your last message.

However for the moment, I still have an activation problem, meaning that Mainconcept logo is still visible.

This might be of interest for some of you.

Regards

Dominique

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Contact Mainconcept.

Please do not post same question in multiple posts. Deleted some of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard my last post. Success! I reimported the card this morning after the upgrade to 6.0.5 and it worked just as you said it would! (Maybe I had a bad import the first time)  Bill, you're a life-saver. Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jay,

please tell me which editing mode is the most suitable for XAVC-S when creating a new sequence? I cannot find it in the list of preconfiguration:

I assume that one of these format is better for XAVC-S

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did what a previous response to be suggested:

There is no need to select a preset.

Open CS6

Cancel select preset

Import your XAVC S media

Drag the media down to "New Item" icon

It will create a sequence with the proper preset and put the media in the timeline for you.

So you are not using any of the preconfigured ones. I think if you do set up a sequence with one of them, but there first bit of video you drag to the timeline you drag to the “new Item” icon (it’s in a lower left box and looks like a piece of paper folder over) it will set the correct sequence.

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe premiere has a bug. When I try to work on Adobe Premiere CC 2017.0.1, with XAVC S UHD files from Sony A7R II (firmware version 3.30, the latest firmware on the camera), the system doesn't allow me to import both audio and video stream of the XAVC S file. For example, I start a new project, I drag and drop one of the XAVC S files on a new sequence button, then I try to drag and drop other files into the new sequence created before, and Premiere import only video or audio stream of a clip that contains both information! BUT!! If i try to create a new sequence for each XAVC S files, then at the time of creation of a new sequence with the drag and drop function, then it import both information, audio and video. That's a serious bug, from CC 2016, PLEASE FIX IT BECAUSE I'M GOING CRAZY BECAUSE OF YOU, or I'll go to other software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines