Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CS5 Quicktime Import Problem

Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2010 Sep 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I am having a problem importing Quicktime .MOV files into Premiere Pro CS5.  When I import .mov files (I've tried several; some I've created myself from AE5, others are purchased from third party libraries) the file shows up in the PPro CS5 project bin, but can't be previewed by dragging into the Source Monitor (system spins for 1-2 minutes, then PPro Source Monitor just shows a gray backround, no video present).  If I drag the file to the timeline, the system will again spin for 1-2 minutes and then the Program Monitor will just display a black video frame.  If I try to play the timeline, the audio will play (if present), but the Program Monitor will show black with occasional "flashes" of a frame from the .mov file.  If I try to render the timeline nothing really happens except the estimate time to finish increases with no end in sight (3 minute clip was showing 20+ hours remaining before I killed it).

On the same machine, I can view the .mov files just fine using Quicktime 7.6.8, AE 5, and even PPro CS4.

I am running Windows 7 x64, 9GB memory, Core i7 Processor, Multiple HDD's (per Adobe recommendations), and a nVidia GFX740 card.  I've updated PPro CS5, Quicktime, and nVidia drivers all to the latest version this week.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Any ideas of how to fix this problem?

/BILLW

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2011 Feb 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@eddiem100 I agree with you 100%

I should aslo mention that I create motion graphics in AE that I bring into Premiere and as far back as I can remember Quicktime .mov is what you export animations to. Can anyone give me a better format to out put to???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2011 Feb 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@eddiem100 Best answer to anything ever.

I never use mov simply because it seems to degrade the colour quality, no matter the codec used inside.

For AE, i either SOMETIMES export to the avi uncompressed, or mpeg2 which to be honest seems to be the most versatile format their is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but as said, if its mov or nothing well i'll obviously choose mov anytime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Premiere on the movie sets as a record / playback device. I'm basically a instant replay guy aka Video Assist. I use Windows based systems with a AJA LHI card. I record in DVCPro HD to save space and the AJA option is quicktime mov files. It really works well in Premiere CS3 and that is why it is so frustrating with CS5. CS5 has corrected many issues but the quicktime recording or importing issue keeps me from using it. That's okay though, all these issues are being fixed. I'm done whining. Thanks for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2011 Feb 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be fine if I was just editing but I capture video from HD cameras on the set using Premiere Pro. I use the AJA LHI capture board and I capture in AJA Quicktime DVCPro HD format. I rarely import the Quicktime files. I just capture in the Quicktime format so your suggestion (even though it is a good one) will not work. Bottom line is that I still use Premiere Pro CS3 for my system and it works fine with Quicktime. This is a Adobe problem and it should be fixed in CS5. Thanks for the info though. I appreciate it.

Charlie Westfall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie,

I do not know the AJA LHI card, but does it have the option to ingest DVCProHD in a non-MOV (QuiRcktime) format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harm,

I don't know the answer to that but I believe it is just MOV. I looked at my CS3 setup and it records fine in MOV. I am going to test the new beta this week and see what happens but from what I have been reading on the forums, it doesn't look good for my application. I'm sure I will be posting bug reports soon. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem too, ive spent the whole day in this forum and seen many posts regarding this issue

Im running

Windows7 64 bit

i7 processor

12 gb ram

2gb radeon hd

when i try to import action essentials 2 footage, which are PNG in .mov wrappers it displays a msg

The file has no audio or video streams.

i have quick time installed i dont have cineform, so could Adobe be so kind as to let me know why CS4 works fine and CS 5.5 does this to me,

on top After effects too gives me issues, it lags when loading and when i use certain effects crashes my computer.

it feels to me like you release software before fully testing it and the end user ends up being your guinea pig........

I could really do with some help, i am extremely frustrated with this issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might help, I know you don't have cineform installed but it might be a simmilar issue.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/729183?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines