Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CS6

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

I'm trying to achieve a highlight moving left to right over 3 lines of coloured text with a black background in Premiere Pro CS6, is this possible? I've found plenty of videos showing how this can be done using CC and above but no videos for CS6?

Kind regards

B

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Formats , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

V1 dark text

V2 light text with track matte set to V3.

V3 shape animated.

You can drop a Gaussian Blur on the shape for feather.

AnnBens_1-1648806484641.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MotionP,

Sorry for your frustration trying to achieve this effect in CS6. Without any visual references, it's not easy to give you precise instructions, but I think I know what you want. You need two pieces of media: the text and the fill for your "highlight."

• Text: I would set this up as a track matte effect on the text and make the highlight play in the alpha channel. 
  • Fill: Create the highlight piece from a shape 
    • Create a graphic looking like a "slash" in the Title tool or with a garbage matte applied to a color matte.
    • Animate the slash with Position keyframes.

I hope this gives you some ideas on how. to proceed. If you need help setting up the effect or creating the assets, let us know!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another idea in addition to what Kevin suggested:

Create the same text with different colors, apply the crop with keyframes on one of them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin

Many thanks for replying so quickly. I hope the following link will take you to a YouTube video which shows how to create the effect I'm after. The problem is the tutor is using Premiere CC and not CS6.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_SFBgEk1y8

Kind regards 

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christian 

I have been trying your method but alas I'm not experienced enough to make the methodology work? I can get an angled coloured line to move from left to right but the edges are very sharp and not feathered? I've used the track matt to get the line to move over the text but I can't get my head around how to achieve the effect as shown in the YouTube link I provided for Kevin?

Kind regards 

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to see if the crop effect is available in that version. If it is you might be able to mask a slightly transparent color matte and animate the mask openining with keyframing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To have it feathered you may want to create a gradient fill on the shape that you're track matting. Have the outer edges of your highlight layer black and the inner portion white. Instead of track matting alpha channel track matte using luma. This will cause the white to be the brightest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

The progress I've made is as follows:

1. (Title 01) I pressed Ctrl t to get up my text editing screen - I input my text and coloured it.

2. (Title 02) I pressed Ctrl t to get up a new text editing screen - I input the exact same text and in the same x and y coordinances and coloured it white.

3. (Title 03) I pressed Ctrl t to get up a new text editing screen - Using the rectangle tool I drew a rectangle, coloured it so it was a much lighter colour than Title 01 text, rotated it, applied a radial gradient to it and to test if my theory worked for now just placed it centrally over the text.

4. I then placed Title 1 in the Video 1 position within the timeline; Title 3 in Video 2 and Title 2 in Video 3.

5. I then applied a Track Matte to Title 1 and 3 and have them talking to Video 3 (the white coloured text layer).

6. My thought is that the top layer is the mask layer with the lettering being transparent therefore allowing us to see the coloured text base layer. Then the Title 03 layer can travel from left to right over the coloured base text and only show when the transparent characters in the top most layer allow it to be seen therefore giving the illusion that the highlight is just travelling over the coloured text.

7. This seems to work!!!???

8. I then placed the angled rectangle to the left of the text (not over it) and under the Motion tab I created a key frame at time zero. I then moved the time indicator to 1.5 seconds and moved the angled rectangle to the right and passed the right edge of the colour text. This automatically created another key frame.

9. I put the time cursor back to time zero and hit the space bar. Nothing seemed to happen ie I couldn't see the coloured rectangle move from left to right between the base coloured text and the top mask layer.

10. What am I doing wrong or is my thinking/methodology not sound?

Kind regards

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

V1 dark text

V2 light text with track matte set to V3.

V3 shape animated.

You can drop a Gaussian Blur on the shape for feather.

AnnBens_1-1648806484641.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh you are an angel Ann, that is exactly what I require. Thank you very much for your input it is greatly appreciated.

The order of the various layers is illogical to me but it works and that's the main thing. I don't fully understand the method compared to my logic and explanation in the above post I made but hay ho I have a solution. 

Kind regards

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Haha that make two: I dont understand your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines