• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Icon View Previews are Black on Subclips - can't scrub - blank thumbnails v13.1.5 2019

Participant ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy community, 

Well, been searching the forums high and low, and while this seems to be a common problen, I haven't seen a proper solution to this. 

In my Project Panel in Premiere Pro CC 2019, if I put my clips into "Icon View", all the clips show a blank black thumbnail icon. The first frame of every clip definitely has beautiful color video. I am not able to scrub or preview my clips in the Project Panel at all. INTERESTING NOTE: Seemingly all the problem clips are SUBCLIPS from a master clip that was created from a master color export with master mix attached. From that, I created subclips (I'm cutting a trailer), and those subclips in Icon Mode all appear black. 

Anyone experiencing this as well and/or found a solution?

Things I've tried:

• Restarted computer
  • Deleted cache folder (yes, I deleted the full Library folder and had it regenerate)
  • Tried changing my video playback engine (Metal, Open CL, Software only, etc)
  • Upgraded Premiere Pro to the absolute latest version (v13.1.5 (build 47) - problem occured in previous version as well)

None have solved the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Setup Details

• Adobe Premiere Pro CC v13.1
  • iMac MacOS Mojave 10.14.5
  • Processor: 4ghz Intel Core i7
  • Memory: 32 GB 1600 MHz DDr3
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M295x 4 GB 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you are on the latest version 13.1.5 build 47 (lots of bugfixes).

Does the issue occur with regular clips?

FAQ: How to reset (trash) preferences.

clipboard_image_0.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Ann Bens, thanks for the reply. Forgive me, I am on 13.1.5 (Build 47). 

This does not seem to be the case with regular clips. Just the subclips. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is something different about these subclips. Guessing the were made in Premiere?

You will have to compare them to regular clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ann Bens yes the subclips were made in Premiere, from the "regular" clips (which have normal preview thumbnails). In what way should I be comparing them to regular clips? When creating the subclips, I would have a regular clip in the source panel, set my in and out points, then select "Make Subclip," name the clip, then it would create the subclip in my Project panel. the clips work fine, I can edit with them. They just don't have the Previews. Would be pretty surprising if this were an ongoing bug in the app.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you trash preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I followed the instructions in that video and "trashed" preferences (that method doesn't actually trash preferences, it just opens the project by resetting all the preferences. The preference files themselves still exist on the machine). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a woraround to get a subclip to show its thumbnail (instead of a blank black thumbnail):

1. Double-click the "black" subclip

2. Make sure the playback head is at the beginning of the clip inside the source monitor

3. Tap the "I" key on your keyboard (this places an In Marker at the beginning of the clip)

4.Lather, rinse and repeat for each subclip

P.S. - if you undock your subclip bin so it doesn't cover the source monitor, you can fix about 100 subclip thumbnails in less than a minute. Don't forget to save when you're finished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pretty lame that this still happens in 2024. The workaround does work and luckily goes pretty fast - you can fix > 1 per second:

double-click, hit "i" ...x1000 or however many clips this affects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines