Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere pro lags when using external display (slow) - M1 MAX MBP

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I use Premiere Pro on my MBP 16" M1 MAX, and I like to edit on my secondary display, an LG 4K, using a USBC -> HDMI cable. For the past few days, I've noticed that, when I use PP on my external display, everything lags. Even clicking on a menu button takes 5 seconds to appear. It's not a preview problem, but more a general slowness.

When I drag/drop back my main PP window to my built-in display, everything's becoming normal after few seconds...

Do you know where this problem can come from?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card and your source properties including codec and pixel dimensions.  Are you running any other programs at the same time?  If so, try quitting them.   If you're working with high resolution material, you might consider a proxy workflow.

I was editing a music video a few months ago with 3 streams of 4k material as a multicam where I was seeing the same issue on both a mac and windows machine.  A proxy workflow with the source material downrezed in the proxy to 1080 helped somewhat.  I also found a utility that looked at ram usage and the problem did seem to be related to premiere ram usage peaking...  Can't remember the name of the utility but it did have the ability to release some of the ram and that did seem to help.  if you want me to dig and see if I can find the name of the utility, post back and I'll see if I can find it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS : 12.2 (21D49)

Premiere pro : 22.2.0 (build 128)

Computer : MBP 16" - M1 MAX with 10 cores CPU and 32 cores GPU (maxed out), 32Go RAM

I'm currently working on Sony a7iii videos, at 4K25p 100Mbit/s H264.

The fact is that I had absolutly no issue before, even with 4K files. Also, as I said, the preview is not laggy at all, it's juste the navigation in premiere pro, when I want to add cuts, when I open a sequence, when I click "preferences", everything except preview.

I don't think making proxies will solve this problem : in fact, on my native display (MBP's one), everything is normal, even if my second display is still plugged in (with just the destop showed). I'll try to reduce the amount of RAM avaible for Premiere and check.

Also, this problem is the same on all my project, EVEN EMPTY/NEW PROJECTS !!! (yes I know...)

So the question of the files that are used is not the good I think (sorry for my english i'm french)

Thnak you for your answer, tell me if you have more informations (I also already tried to uninstall and install PP)

Clément -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure I understand.  There were no issues with the second monitor previously?  If so, what changed?  If it's a premiere update, consider reverting to the previous version.    if you've got 32 gigs of Ram, I'd assign as much as possible to premiere leaving sufficient space for the OS...   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you might also play around with the screen resolution of the second monitor.  And you might consider getting a blackmagic device, I think it's called an ultrastudio something or other which converts thunderbolt to hdmi.  Seems to be working well on the M1 macbookpro that I work on occasionally...   And it's about $120 which is pretty reasonable and allows me to work with one external display for my interface and still watch video full screen as I'm editing in premiere or color correcting in resolve.   The m-1 macbookpros have a 1 external display limitation (which I don't seem to remember them mentioning before my client bought the sucker)...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem with an LG ultra wide monitor that isn't 4k, and I'm running a 16inch M1 Max.

It only started happening after I updated Monterey and Premiere to the latest versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this EXACT thing is happening to me as well. Same laptop, but i have the 64gb ram version. Please let me know if you find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with an m1 max/ 32gb ram and a m1/ 16gb ram. Premiere has a noticable input lag using a monitor connected over HDMI. Lowering the resolution and/ or refresh rate helps but does not elimanate the lag. Desperate for a solution for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you might consider trying using this

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1578062-REG/blackmagic_design_ultra_studio_monitor_3g.html?st...

working great on an m1 macbookpro (which doesn't allow connecting a second external display otherwise).  Got one external display connected via a owc thunderbolt hub via minidisplay port on the hub and a second external display play program or source via this unit.  also works great with resolve...  Don't know if it will solve your performance problem with an external display but maybe worth a shot at a very reasonable price particularly if you can return it if it doesn't meet your expectations.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good suggestion, but only supports 1080 60p, I think the problem lies with higher resolution external displays and premiere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried a usbc to hdmi adapter. Same issue. Interestly though, media encoder works fine with either the adapter or the hdmi lead plugged in direct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't think it's the same thing since the usb-c to hdmi can be an extended desktop while the blackmagic unit only is video out from either the source or program monitor...  bwdik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't confuse the issue for people finding or following this thread. It has nothing to do with io for the source or program monitor.

The issue people are having is with user input/ navigation lag on m1 macs on external monitors. That could be an m1 mac mini plugged into an external display. Or it could be a fully loaded m1 max. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is confusing the issue.   Yes, this will not help interface display but in most cases that shouldn't be a serious issue if you can monitor video playback. The blackmagic device is  not running thru the graphics card...  When I go to about this mac and click on displays, you don't see the monitor or the blackmagic device recognized but it is feeding the source or program monitor visual to a monitor attached to the blackmagic device.   It's a relatively inexpensive device which I find very useful since the 13" M1 2020 macbook pro I'm working on does not allow for using a second monitor directly attached to one of the thunderbolt ports...  and may solve someones lag problems...    Generally video plays very smoothly thru this device...  obviously if you have heavy lifting with effects, your mileage may vary.  ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reading the OP more closely I do see your point, but the subject line "Premiere pro lags when using external display (slow) - M1 MAX MBP" could attract people with bad playback which I have seen on computers with multiple displays connected...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing it is M1 related. Does this issue happen when you run Pr via the Rosetta 2 emulation?

This is user to user forum where we users help each other. The Adobe engeneers do not always read everything here. If you feel strongly about a (new)feature or (bug) fix please post it on uservoice, as it will be read by the engeneers.
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate, wasn't aware of the uservoice forum. I've posted the issue there. And yes, no issue when running under emulation.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/44975842-premiere-pro-input...

"Hi

There is noticeable input lag on m1 based Macs when using an external display. There are quite a few threads on the community forums.

I can replicate the issue on an m1 Mac mini and a m1x max MacBook Pro. Mouse clicks can take a few seconds to register.

Ive tested swapping out the cables connecting the display & connecting the display via usbc and hdmi.

The issue seems to be specific to the native version of premiere. There is no input lag when running the intel version of premiere through rosetta 2 emulation. Also, when switching back to the native version of premiere, the issue will be resolved temporarily but will reappear in a few hours.

It's also worth noting, there is no input lag when using the native version of media encoder, but there is input lag when using the same windows when exporting directly from premiere.

Hoping for a fix.

Thank you"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is feels more like a system issue rather than PP issue. double check that you have all the latest drivers installed, especially the GPU.
Try also changing the cable you use to connect to the external monitor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug is still there. Not only on M1 Max, but also on M1 Pro. Premiere runs butterly smooth on macbook but with the 4k Monitor plugged in, I can't even import a single short clip without delays and lags. I already tried PP beta, same issue. Final cut and davinci works fine with the monitor plugged in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Mac Studio with M1 Ultra, and the problem still here and it wasn't fix on the pr beta version as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sams issue here with Premiere Pro 22.5 running on Macbook Pro M1 max 64gb with external screen Dell U2720Q through USB-C. I am having this issue also with a project only filled with JPG files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue! Not cooool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys just so you know, Just turned my external monitor into the "main Screen" for the system and it works more fluidly. I would say is still not 100% perfect but it improves a lot. 😃 

My system attached below and with Ventura, and the monitor is a BENQ SW270C 27"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System here, sorry I forgot attaching above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for posting your workaround...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines