Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro - Merged Clips Crashing Project

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm running Windows 10 64bit, 16gb RAM, Intel Core i7. Premiere Pro 11.1.0, just updated yesterday after the issue I'm experiencing occurred.

The issue: I spent all day yesterday syncing my media, Apple Pro Res and WAVs. I had no problems and was able to view / use the merged clips with no issue.

Later in the day I returned to my project to begin cutting and found that whenever I double clicked any of the merged clips to open them in the source window, I would receive a "serious error" message stating that Premiere had to close with no further explanation. However, if I drag one of these merged clips directly into a timeline, there is no issue with playback. Additionally, the raw audio and video have no issue loading into the source window. I made no other changes to my project, hard drive, file structure etc. between finishing syncing and re-opening the project later. I have tried duplicating the project file but that did not fix it.

Anyone familiar with this sort of issue? Please let me know if I can provide any further info.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Hey,

I found out what the issue was in my case.

Apparently there's a bug that causes Premiere to crash if you modify the audio channels of a merged clip and then try to load it in the source window by double clicking it. The way to fix this was to load the recovery file, save that as a new project, and then remove all modifications to the audio channels.

This is a very serious bug that I assume Adobe should be fixing with the next update.

See the discussion in this thread: Adobe Premiere Pro 2017 crashes when modifying clip's audio channels

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same isssue, but on a Mac Pro, 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeion, 64 GB RAM.  Double clicking results in "serious error" and a crash.  I've put in a bug report but wanted to know if anyone knew a good workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I found out what the issue was in my case.

Apparently there's a bug that causes Premiere to crash if you modify the audio channels of a merged clip and then try to load it in the source window by double clicking it. The way to fix this was to load the recovery file, save that as a new project, and then remove all modifications to the audio channels.

This is a very serious bug that I assume Adobe should be fixing with the next update.

See the discussion in this thread: Adobe Premiere Pro 2017 crashes when modifying clip's audio channels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks i'll try it out! i've definitely been modifying the audio channels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My fix was a little different -- since I needed the modifications to the audio channels (otherwise, why would I modify them?)

My import settings for multiple channel audio are "USE FILE" and it was apparently reading extra tracks (which didn't show up in the timeline of my merged clip).  I went in to MODIFY AUDIO, deleted the ghost tracks by changing the number of tracks from 13 to 8, and voila!  No more crashing.

Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 5.10.43 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imagine that would have worked for me as well. I did notice the extra tracks showing up in the modify audio window.

Thanks for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, folks.  May 10th, 2018, still happening!  Current version of Premiere Pro CC, 15" Surface Book 2, Windows 10.  Was driving me bonkers (crashed consistently the moment I double-clicked on a merged subclip in the project pane); was excited to find this thread.  Original had three tracks; I'd taken it down to two; I just re-added the third track (which I guess I'll delete from the timeline once I'm done editing).  Much appreciated, all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

, do you know if there is a bug for this issue? I'm getting it as well, using Premiere Pro for Windows 11.1.2 (2017.1.2). I have merged clips, some of which are already in a sequence with all channels enabled. Turning off channels after the fact and trying to open them in source view or drag onto the timeline can cause an instant crash. It's unclear to me whether the problem is caused because the clips are already in use elsewhere, or if Premiere just doesn't like me disabling audio channels in merged clips (the audio I'm trying to disable is the original). I can mute the unwanted channels in the timeline or unlink and delete the channels clip by clip, but that is a pain.

Thanks,

Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact same problem on Mac with PPCC 2018, almost a year later. Apparently, the bug hasn't been fixed. I do need to modify the audio channels, I don't want to have to delete 4 tracks of scratch audio from my timeline with every clip. I'm a little confused as to ohmypro's fix of adding ghost channels, can you explain further?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't add ghost channels, I removed them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey thanks for the answer. I had the same issue with the newest version of premiere pro. I switched the audio channels and then pp crashed when merging video and audio. Tried it with unedited audio clips and it works. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines