• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with Search Panel not displaying correct results

Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I type a query into the search field, Adobe Premiere Pro cc 2018 now displays results found in Windows 10 File Explorer, not results found in the clip names of Premiere Pro.

For example: I want to find clips of shot 84, so I type "84" into the search field. But this is what comes up:

Searh_Pane_84_cropped_screenshot.png

Obviously, shot 25B is not what I'm looking for. But you will see an "84" in the description, because the search panel is displaying the File Explorer results for a clip with "84" in the original file name, specifically "MVI_2684.MOV":

Search_84_Screenshot_02.png

However, searching with the <CTRL><F> find feature brings up the correct results (i.e., the results with "84" in the Premiere Pro clip name):

Search_84_Screenshot_03_cropped.png

Why is this happening? I've never had this problem before. How do I change the search panel options back to display results of Premiere Pro clip names instead of Windows File Explorer names?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2019 Jan 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the original file-name is something Pr would have in its own meta listing, so I would not assume it was 'pinging' Explorer for this at all.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When starting a new project, the first thing I do is to copy the original file name into the "description" tab for reference. Then I re-name all the clips. So I really can't say for certain whether Premiere is finding the string in the description tab (currently set to be shown in the metadata display) or the original file name (currently set to be hidden in the metadata display).

But either way, if you type a query string into the search pane, Premiere just refuses to display results found in the clip name.

I did a hard reset of preferences by pressing ALT on startup, but no luck.

Any ideas...? Could it have something to do with the ingest settings...?

I'm really stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pr uses a very thought-through methodology in its search capabilities. However ... this is one of those things where you need to realize that thought-through engineering methodology may not be particularly obvious to all the rest of us. Ah ... well.

Are you renaming the clips within Pr, or before importing/ingesting them?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2019 Jan 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

univexv58830006  wrote

Obviously, shot 25B is not what I'm looking for.

Are you also showing incorrect results? I think you meant 28B as displayed?

I see another "Proj" tab next to the Project: U_Slicers_2018 tab, do you have more than one project file open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, just the one project open.

I mean "incorrect" in that the results displayed are never what I want!

If I am looking for all #84 shots (so-named in the clip names), instead Premiere shows 25B because the original file name as an "84" in it. It's the same no matter what I'm looking for. I search for the shot number in a desired clip name, but instead I get matching results found in the original file names.

In the past, whenever I have typed a query string into the search pane, Premiere has always displayed results found in the clip names. I haven't changed any settings, at least to my knowledge. But all of a sudden Premiere has started turning up matching metadata results seemingly for everything except the clip name.

Any ideas...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant what is in this tab here? It looks like it might be another project open...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was just a bin with the master project name. Only one project is open. If more than one project were open, could you please explain why would that cause a problem with the search panel not displaying clip names?

At first, I directly brought the folders from File Explorer into the project. But after having this problem, I made new bins in Premiere Pro and copied the files into them.

So here's a status update. I tried to work around the problem by deleting the file names in the "Description" metadata field, and by copying the clip names into the "Comment" metadata field. But this did nothing to fix the problem.

To reiterate: Premiere refuses to find/display clip name results when queries are typed into the search pane.

For example, I want to find shots from scene 43. So I type "43" into the search pane. That's a reasonable thing to do, right? But when I do that, I get ZERO results:

43_No_Results.png

However, when I remove the search filter, it's obvious that shots from scene 43 are indeed in this bin:

43_Filter_Removed.png

This is a huge project, and not being able to search/find clip names is a huge problem. Not having this feature means that I have to manually search for every shot in every bin, which slows me down about ten times at least.

So so you think this this some arcane setting that got changed somehow, or should I report this as a bug?

I could always uninstall / reinstall Premiere, but that's an extreme last resort, and I'm not even certain it would fix the problem if it's something to do with the project settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the "Name" field is grayed out in the Metadata Display options.

clip_name_grayed_out.png

It cannot be selected or de-selected. Is this normal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's your project? Some kind of minor corruption, etc? Try some things with a new project, I just tried it and it seems to be working as expected. BTW: Name is probably the default field, ie: it must be there so is non selectable (same here)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a good thought, but it doesn't seem to be the project itself.

I made a brand new test project, brought in some of the same footage, and re-named about a half dozen of the clips for scene 16.

The search pane is still not working, but this time it is not working in a different way. Instead of bringing up no results, as in the other project, this time the search pane just doesn't filter the results at all. I type in "16" and I get no more nor less listings in the bin than before. In other words, everything stays the same.

Here's a screenshot with a search for "16":

Search_Pane_Filter_16.png

And a screenshot with no search filter:

Search_Pane_No_Filter.png

I opened an old project, but the search pane isn't working for that, either. On the old project, it's not working in the same way as the current project: giving no results at all when a search filter is applied.

Bug...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IDK.

Maybe try a quick test with a Prelude project, put your clips in, see if it searches better.

Here's a link to to User Voice where Adobe actively monitors for bug reports and enhancement requests:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

I did a quick search on the word 'search' and found a few items, you might look at those, upvote, leave a comment or add a thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I'll do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines