• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with iPhone 11 4K60 video

Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just shot a 27 minute long video using iPhone 11 4k60 rear camera footage.

I can drop it into Premiere Pro, it drags onto the timeline no problem, I see the preview of the footage... but when I click play to preview the clip the entire Premiere Pro application hangs then eventually crashes out.  Sometimes it will play the audio but the video will be massively out of sync in the preview, then it crashes.  I've also tried having Premiere auto-create the sequence by dropping the video file onto the new item icon, but still it just won't handle it.  I also tried installing Quicktime.

PC is top notch, 8700K with a 2080Ti and 32GB RAM, video is on a 970 Pro 1TB drive.

Does Premiere Pro need an update to handle this iPhone footage?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming the phone stuff is highly compressed ( mp4 h264 ? ) and 27 min is a long time for 4k ( big file size in bytes). I don't have a iphone. So, you know more than me.

Usually stuff has to match your computer power and setup ( what it can do ) and what you put into it ( what you hope it will do ).

In your case I'd look at transcoding before import to cc or try some proxy thing as you 'ingest it ' or whatever the current cc semantics require.

Your storage needs a lot if you go to intermediate type editing animals. cause the original 'compression' will be interpreted and saved ( as proxy ) and will also get bigger if transcoded beforehand.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a 9GB file, 47mbps HEVC. That's not a million miles away from the input from my G7 at 4K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a halfway decent 'gaming' computer for internet and basic daily stuff ... and don't use my editing computer for anything ( not on internet ) except media related stuff. On this thing I recently installed CS6 SpeedGrade and it does the exact same thing you are experiencing... can't use it. No big deal for me, cause I don't need it.. but it is because the laptop is simply not powerful enough to handle it.

😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PC definitely isn't the issue here. You don't need a better CPU than a 8700K, a better GPU than a 2080Ti and faster storage than a 1TB 970 Pro to handle mobile phone video footage. It's only a 9GB file, that's really not that big. It isn't a million miles off the input from my Lumix G7 at 4K which is has had no problem with. This feels like a software level limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

beats me what the problem is. basically I match my source stuff specs with the project I create and put the original stuff in there. I never shoot mp4 as I have cameras that shoot better codecs and so on. So, good luck if you think you can stuff your stuff into CC and make it work when it isn't working.

Trick is to make what you got work.. I wish I could help you more.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might want to consider Proxies 

HEVC can be a bit of a pita.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann, does it move the post "reply" (interaction) to the top of the list when you get in forum ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you sure that the fps (frames per second) is consistent and is a standard frame rate?  I've seen some weird Premiere behavior dealing with 4k video shot on a new iphone.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well as sure as I can be, it's iPhone footage so it records at a set 4k60. I just changed it to 4K30 and did a 20 minute long video which Premiere handles no problem. So I suspect the high efficiency codec used for the 60fps footage isn't liked by Premiere. Which is kinda why I logged it here, hoping it gets put on Adobes radar for investigation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I experienced exaclty the same problem. I have samsung S20+ which is working perfectly in premiere pro while exporting 4k60fps footage. With Iphone 11 pro exporting 4k60 fps is a nightmare. After spending several hours looking for solution I was able to move then to timeline by uncheking the source patching. But then another problem appeared, the footage are not imported properly and several issues make premiere pro crashes. 

I stopped recording video with Iphone and I m very happy with my samsung S20+ ....so its time to say bye to Apple. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines