Hello. I have a 12-minute short film to subtitle, with many lines from various characters. I used Closed Captioning to transcribe the subtitles in Portuguese. I corrected the texts because many were wrong. I exported it to make versions in other languages in word. I can't import the other versions back into Premiere. How I do? Thanks. Mauro.
You need to have each translation in proper SRT format for import to PR. They are working on more flexible methods for import, but, for now, PR will not do this. I'll describe a workaround.
I'm going to assume these are one-line subtitles. We can deal with that later.
For each of your translations, format one subtitle per line in a .txt file. No special characters/formatting. Regular accents etc should be okay. While you might be able to do this in Word, it is better to finalize it in a simple text editor. I like Notepad++ (I'm on Windows). Just copy from Word and paste in the text editor. Save as .txt and it will get rid of any special Word coding.
I am assuming you have Closed Caption (608? 708?) subtitles in PR. If you have not, export SRT from PR. We will use that for the time codes. Normally you need something other than srt, but for our purpose, it is easier.
In Subtitle Edit (free; PC only), File -> Import -> Plain Text. Click the "Open text file..." button and pick one of the translated text files. Set the options as "One line is one subtitle." Use "Generate time codes" (but we're going to replace those).
Click OK. The subtitles should be divided just the way the Portuguese ones are. If not, you need to work with how you set up your text file or the options used for the Subtitle Edit import.
Now, in Subtitle Edit, File -> Import -> "Time Codes..." Pick the Portuguese srt you exported from PR.
Now you should have the translated subtitles with the timecodes from PR.
Export SRT from Subtitle Edit. You can either import that to PR and burn in, or use the SRT on services like Vimeo for selectable subtitles. You can have multiple language for the user to select. If you need Closed Captions to embed, just import the SRT to PR, and select the caption type you need.
I'm a Mac user...
I can use TextEdit. It works?
There's a subtitle with two lines too.
If you put it on just one line, the reading will be very fast and with little exposure time for the caption.
It has no special characters.
I can copy from Word, paste into TextEdit and save TXT.
In fact, I already tried that and it didn't work.
Closed Caption 608 / 708 I don't know what it is?
Where do I find this information?
I need to export the video with the subtitles printed.
Yes, Subtitle Edit is only for PC. What export type did you use? Do you have the timecodes with each translation?
To import the translations, each must be in an SRT file with the correct formatting. Can you paste the first 2 or 3 captions of one of the translations here?
If your translation is in the right form, then yes, you can paste into TextEdit, save as txt, then change the file type to "srt." But if it is not in the correct form, it will not work.
> Closed Caption 608 / 708 I don't know what it is?
You said, "I used Closed Captioning to transcribe the subtitles in Portuguese." PR has several "Formats" of captions/subtitles. If you are "burning in" the captions, you can use the "Subtitle" format. Right-click on the caption track header and pick "Track Settings." If you have "Subtitle" as the format, you are all set. If you have something else, change it to Subtitle. This gives you more options for styling the captions for burn-in.
Subtitle in english on TextEdit.
And Premiere with subtitles in portuguese...
Okay; the screenshot shows that your subtitles are already in "Subtitle" format.
I think you exported your captions as "Export to text file." When you do this, it formats it differently than srt. But, with some effort, you can edit the format so it can be imported.
A comparable srt file with begin and end timecodes would look like this:
1 00:00:05,042 --> 00:00:07,042 Caption text like this. 2 00:00:12,000 --> 00:00:14,000 Caption text in another caption that has two lines.
This adds a sequential caption number for each caption as the first line.
The start and end timecodes need to be separated not by a "space dash space", but "space dash dash arrow space" ( --> ).
And the timecode in srt file uses a comma and milliseconds at the end, not a colon and frames.
There is always one empty line, not two, before the next caption. (So you are okay there.)
The timecode uses colons unless it is drop-frame where it is semicolons. (And you are okay there.)
The problem is the process you need to fix it. a) Find a friend with a PC and Subtitle Edit. Or a program for Mac that will do it. b) Create some moderately extensive search/replace operation to fix it. c) Manually copy/paste to create correct versions. d) Re-export from PR as srt and copy/paste the translations in. e) Export csv from PR and get the text into the correct column. Then reformat and export srt.
So I tryed re-export srt from PR, translate on word and import to PR.
The SRT imported to 30 fps and don-t apear all subtitles on timeline, stoped on 1:12.
And the subtitles don't cut exactly on the same frame.
It was missing some hyphens (-).
Gave some frame differences in the cuts but imperceptible!
Thanks Stan! Save my life! 😉