Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with XDCAM EX Footage

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I recently upgraded to Premiere CS6, and in CS6 opened a version of a project I'd started in CS5.5.2. I'm working with XDCAM EX footage, editing natively.  I'm working with Mac OS 10.7.4, 2010 Mac Pro, NVIDIA QUADRO 4000.

When I play my there are tearing artifacts across many of the clips, and there weren't any in the CS 5.5.2 version. I opened the project in CS 5.5.2 and the same sequence plays fine.

I've tried cleaning the media cache, trashing my preferences, repairing my disk permissions, and creating a new project in CS6 and importing my sequences into it.  Same problems.

I've also had some clips go offline mysteriously, when I try reconnecting (in 5.5.2) I get an error saying there are no video or audio streams and it can't re-connect. The clips play fine in VLC player. But, if I boot from the clone of my OS drive that I created before upgrading to CS6 I don't get any offline clips.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Gerry

Gerry Curtis

savasanafilm.com

http://digitalkilnstudios.com

Message was edited by: digitalkiln

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 169 Replies 169
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately CS5 world is the only world for many of us and if what you say is true ie the update comes in a newer version of Premiere ie cs6.5 or 7 or what ever the next launch is I will change NLE on principle, I already know many of my collegues and friends share the same sentiment based on v.6 being unusable and to have to pay an extra premium to be able to use MXF and XDCAM FILES would quite franKly be an insult to the user/adobe client. A provission should be put in place for all those unable to use cs6 concerning this serious issue if its not rectified prior to a new launch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having all your eggs in one basket isn't a good business plan especially when the basket has a flimsy handle. I am a Adobe Certified Expert PPCS5 video editor and feel that having skills with whatever tool that is required for the project will bring me more work. 

Premiere Pro is building a user base but many professionals in entertainment are still standardized on Avid and some FC. This might be a good time for me to add Avid to resume.  By the time I learn it, Adobe might have a fix for XDCAM users and I'll be more professionally flexible. My budget will allow me to buy a new computer and this time I will choose hardware required for AVID.  Not because I have lost faith in Adobe Premiere Pro but it makes sense for me to have additional skills. 

I must thank Adobe for giving me a reason to build my expertise using another video editing system. CS5.5.2 is on one of my computers because CS6 is incompatible with it for who knows why? For unknown reasons, my Laptop is running CS6 Production Premium just fine  and I use it for projects that I import Illustrator files into After Effects then export the video so I can use it in Premiere Pro CS5.5.2 or soon, AVID

Any recommendations for a modest AVID configuration would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any recommendations for a modest AVID configuration would be greatly appreciated.

If you're serious, please start a new topic in the Hardware Forum.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nickdbomb,

Your guess is as good as mine. But I can't see how this can help their marketing...

Roddy Mc,
There are a LOT of beta testers that did not find this bug before release. I am one of them, and I use almost exclusively XDCAM-EX material. Blame me, not the programmers! I've edited shundreds of hours without encountering this bug. If this bug had been easy to reproduce CONSISTENTLY (as a programmer you must know how important that is) and track down it wouldn't have been there in the first place.

As a programmer you also know that you can't just put in some old code when the rest of the app has been changed and updated. So I interpret your "attack" on Adobe's programmers as frustration.

That's understandable. We all agree it shouldn't be broke. But "dissing" the people who work on this is not overhelmingly constructive. If you're better than Adobe's programmers, I salute you. They've made a piece of software that has helped me earn a huge part of my money. I'm hoping they'll fix this issue very soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Nick, I think your right, frustration is getting the better of me. Regarding old code comment, a good programmer will structure his code so he can more easily identify a problem if one arises and I think from the many comments alone in the forum the problem is being identified not that we are being told.. I think first yes you have to identify the problem then your armed to fix it! Im ex games industry and run two businesses now and if I had released some software that was causing many people a problem I would keep them informed on a regular basis as to any progress. I personally hate vague statements, they sound insincere however from a marketting/sales point of view I can also appreciate keeping information under your hat. I havent upgraded for the simple reason I can't use this software on XF100 or Xf300 MXF files due to tears in the video. I posted at the beginning of this thread with examples only to suddendly see many were in the same boat. I have been an Adobe Premiere advocate since it first came out and just roll my eyes to see others taking the lead with multicam, stabilisation etc. I can assure you there is no malice in my statements just it been a long time since launch and still no closer to a solution at least from what we have been informed. As you will see from the last statement its not been addressed properly yet?

I have many friends in thel filming business  who are also reluctant to upgrade because of the same problem from pcs to macs and common sense says fix it and more sales will follow. It doesnt cost anything to be forth coming about any progress however no official statement make you think there isnt any progress.

I dont proclaim to know everything but I do know if enough people kick up a stink about a problem it gets noticed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would keep them informed on a regular basis

You have to consider that Adobe is a publicly traded company.  The law in the U.S. is a rather twisted, asinine monstrosity that actually considers investor profits a higher priority than customer service, and so forbids certain types of communications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice if some people could at least confirm that the workaround that I mentioned works consistently at all. We need to know if we have a functioning workflow or not. At least for new projects and people transitioning to CS6.

Otherwise I'll be transcoding anything XDCAM EX to ProRes.

The whole thing sucks of course, I'm also not happy having to spend so much time troubleshooting, but somehow we need to move on...

So if some people that do have the tearing problem and BPAV folders, could they please see if this fixes the problem for them? For the moment it seems to work for me.

Why do I have a feeling I am repeating myself? Oh well.

Thanks,

Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Premiere Pro CS6 (6.0.2) update is available. There are a lot of bug fixes in this update, as well as HiDPI functionality for Retina Display, some new supported GPUs, and Windows 8 certification.

One of the fixes in this update is for tearing in XDCAM EX footage. Try the update and let us know how it works for you.

See this page for details about this update:

http://bit.ly/PremierePro602

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there also a fix for MXF files video tearing ergo Canon XF series?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not certain whether the update addresses tearing in Canon XF footage. I'll have to check. In the meantime, I recommend installing the update and seeing for yourself. There are a lot of major fixes in this update, so it's highly recommended for everyone using Premiere Pro CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roddy Mc wrote:

Is there also a fix for MXF files video tearing ergo Canon XF series?

I just triet it out. I imported some footage from scratch, that had been troublesome before. I played back several clips of a total of 1:30 hrs. and did som scrubbing real hard back and forth in a bunch of small clips, and so far it seems pretty ok with my Canon XF footage.

/Ulf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ulf thanks for the update I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 6.02 update seems to be working for my Cannon XF100 footage.

Okay Adobe..... I guess you can stay over. But you don't get a key to the house... we still have some trust to rebuild.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also applied the regedit described in this thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4680485#4680485

It supposedly can help with multitheadred performace. I don't have a comparison, but it works fine on my office system that has a Core-i7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I agree, great news for all those wanting to upgrade, any official word from Adobe what the problem was?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to me at least. I've been on tech support for 5 weeks trying to get them to give us a copy of CS5.5 until they fix the problem. They finally agrreed to supply with the software and key a week before this update came out. Tech support wouldn't really acknoledge the bug. I had to send a clip, which they said was fine( Duh, that's the point) and I had to send links to the threads of the forum to show it was a known issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Tech support wouldn't really acknoledge the bug.

If you post your case number for the support interaction that you had, I'd appreciate it so that I can follow up with the person who you talked with. You should have gotten an acknowledgement of the bug. We tell our Technical Support staff to be open about known issues like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd & everybody!

Having read a great deal of this forum I have been unable to find out anything about the current problem I seem to having.
I am editing on MacBook Pro Unibody 2009 using OS 10.6.8

4 Gig Ram 1067 MHz DD3
500Gb 7200 Rpm Hard Drive
I'm using Premiere Pro CS6 version 6.0.2

Its not the beefiest of systems I know and I plan an upgrade very soon however so far its done everything I have needed it to with no problems.

However - I have recently needed to edit some canon C300 .mxf files which worked perfectly well in Premiere Cs5.

When I bring them into CS6 however I am losing sync between audio and video. They play back fine but the pictures lag behind the sound by approximately 1 second 15 frames.
They were shot at 24fps.
I wondered if this was a known issue and if so is there anything I  can do to fix it?
Otherwise Ill be cutting this on CS5 which I really don't want to do!
Massive thanks in advance for any help you can offer.Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> any official word from Adobe what the problem was?

It was a bug in a codec that we integrate. We needed to get and integrate a fixed version, so we did. Sorry it took so long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2014 Aug 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was experiencing this as well on a new computer, when trying to import quicktime (.mov) files, quicktime was not installed, installing it fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines