• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Program monitor keeps going black in Premiere Pro CC

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2013 Jul 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PC - Premiere Pro CC - AMD Fire Pro (13.101-130604a-158071E-ATI)

I'm working on a project and the program monitor keeps going black in Premiere Pro CC while I am working on the timeline. I've got like 28 GB of memory alocated to the program and just updated the latest driver for my video card. No clue why this keeps happening, but the only way I can get around it is to restart. When I go to close down the program freezes and I have to shut it down in the system preferences.

Under a crazy deadline if you can help? Thanks

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Hi Jonathan,

We haven't seen a response from you since you created this thread. Please do let us know if you fully solved the issue. For others on this thread, a few things have been helpful in solving the "black screen" issue.

• Reboot the computer: try to do this a few times a day.
    • This helps reset, refresh hardware items, especially the RAM cache, which you need for intense timelines.
  • Perform regular system and program maintenance:
    • update drivers
    • make sure you meet system requirments
    • run

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Jeff,

Thank you so much for your tip! PROBLEM SOLVED. I updated my Nvidia drives and everything is running smoothly. Windows "said' they were fine but when I went to the Nvidia site I was SO far behind! Thank you so much for such a great suggestion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 140 Replies 140
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. Rolling back to ‘Software Only’ solves my problem as my specs were new and I was still having this problem. Thankyou so much. This project was on halt for more than 8 months. Now I’m gonna do it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software only shouldn't be the fix to this blatant problem, it's clearly nothing to do with people's hardware and specs and just a bug happening with the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here: black preview window. Need to work, will edit now in DaVinci which works flawless and cancel my adobe subscription now forever!!!

Specs:

Windows 10 Pro

Intel i9-9900K

128GB RAM 

2x RTX 2060 super

1 TB M.2

2 TB M.2 Cache

All the newest drivers and versions installed (02.11.2020)

Mod note: Your rant was deleted. Kindly keep such OT discussion to the Video Lounge forum. If you wish to give feedback to the team, use User Voice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just here to also vent. I've experienced this with pretty much all versions of Premiere with my last 3 laptops. I can't believe they haven't fixed this. Complete incompetence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thankyou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thats not a solution thats a bandaid. adobe needs to fix their bug problems and stop with all the new features that just get dropped a year later...everyone will eventually just move to resolve...so many have already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, did the "bandaid" work for you? Or do you still need more help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

turning it off works, but that’s not what I pay for.

Adobe neglects long term bugs...we pay every month..the scales are not balanced.

I appreciate your time helping people, I know this isn’t your fault but someone in power needs to make changes and rectify Adobe’s model of paying to beta test while years old bugs persist.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RF,
This is an ancient thread that may not have much to do with your current situation or the state of the application. What are the actual specs of your machine? Are you meeting system requirements? What are the specs of your media? We can help, but need more info. Sorry for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my specs:

intel i7 6900k

64gb ddr4

Asus Rog Strix O24 RTX 3090

(drivers have been updated, tried both production and game drivers and rolled back to several previous versions)

Asus Rog extreme V motherboard

win 10 pro 64bit updated to 20H2 build: 19042.746 experience pack 120.2212.551.0

all premiere drives are on Samsung EVO ssd's. c drive on crucial mx500 ssd

I've tried uninstall, clean install, I've tried removing all plugins and reinstalling, removing all extensions and reinstalling, I've tried creating new timelines, I've tried creating new timelines and importing old timelines, I've tried a normal project and production project, deleting all cache, deleting all settings, deleting saved workspaces.

it is intermittent, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. its been this way for years. I thought investing in a top of the line video card would help but it has not.i know the thread is old, its been a persistent issue since cuda was implemented in premiere, even before that from what I recall and its still an issue. it just boggles me that this continues to be a persistent issue while adobe seems to focus on features instead of bugs that have been around for ever, and then just drop those features or let them be buggy for years, its frustrating for sure. i feel like I spend more time trying to trouble shoot premiere than actually use it...and I'm paying for that...I'm getting to the point where I am constantly asking myself what the hell is wrong with me...every day I have been going to resolve and learning instead of troubleshooting with premiere. but ive been with premiere since 1.0 but I guess at v14.8 I'm getting real close to being done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue had plagued me for years. I still need to restart Premiere almost every day I'm editing and multiple times a day because of this. I always have the latest specs (this has happened across 3 different laptops now). Unbelievable that this hasn't been resolved yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with me, it's been off and on for years. I am not sure anymore why my loyalties lay with Adobe but I think this will be my final year with them unless they fix all of these bugs that bring the very nature of what Premiere is meant to be used for to a halt. I am tired of pumping money into subpar software, features are great but what's the point if they don't work. 

For example, this morning, after battling the black screen all day and getting zero editing accomplished, miraculously playback works...why? who the hell knows, but its frustrating as hell losing an entire day, the worst days are when you have a client in the room who is paying you for your expertise and you cannot for the life of you figure why something so simple is happening. It's a nightmare. Adobe expects us to be nice about it but paying them thousands of dollars over the years...we have no reason to be nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now getting error for media encoder. finally, get to finish the edit and now exporting issues lol

I guess I forgot to give info on my media, it's mostly mp4 h264, a lot of youtube videos mixed in this particular edit, mostly 1080 and below in a UHD timeline, some AE graphics not dynamically linked cause that rarely works so exported into h264 and imported one nested sequence for the opening credits sequence and couple pieces of mp3 music files. several essential graphics titles a couple of Mr Horse transitions and basic dissolves. This particular show doesn't supply the best assets but none of this seems like it should be an issue. Timeline is short around 8min. All cache files on separate ssd, all footage assets on its own ssd and all stock video and audio on its own ssd

ResurrectionFilms_0-1612037048722.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RF,

I think that given your higher-end workflow, your CPU is probably in need of an upgrade to keep up with the rest of your system. You could probably streamline your media by optimizing it, as well. Can you upgrade the CPU, try proxies and transcodes for media and see if your situation improves?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a thread about this with no resolution. I have to delete the file in the essetial graphics folder, check uncheck the import panels option and open and close AE before opening premiere. And after closing and opening the app a lot of time, eventually the image pops up. I have a 12 core AMD 3.8 processor, rtx 3070 with 64gigs of ram. I had to upgrade to get this app to work and now it is really unstable. They send out these apps, we pay money for it, and they don't test it. It is rushed and we pay the price. This wont be for too long, as I am starting to look at resolve. I called adobe and they just patched it. I am noticing the files work in another drive on my computer. I am going to transfer and copy my ssd work files to the hhd storage and reformat my work ssd. Then see if the issue goes away. But I get a feeling it will just come back, ADOBE FIX YOUR APP! or I am leaving this program, we have enought challenges then to have to trouble shoot your software for you. I wish I could diliver unfinished projects and get paid thr way Adobe just threw an untested piece of software at us and charged for it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is driving me insane and ruining my ability to get any work done, and there is zero reason why it should be happening on my system. All of the workarounds in this ancient thread DO NOT FIX THE PROBLEM. 

• Premiere Pro v 15.2.0 (build 35)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2
  • Dual Xeon Silver 4110 CPUs
  • 96 GB DDR5 RAM
  • NVIDA Quadro P4000

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Update everything you can
  • Open Pr and create a brand-new project
  • Import some footage
  • Create a new sequence and add the freshly imported footage to it
  • Work in the sequence and see if the Program Monitor works correctly
  • If it doesn't, change settings in the Nvidia Control Panel, Windows and Pr until it does

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,,

Sorry. I can see why you "might" be having trouble.

Your CPUs do not support Quick Sync. If you have a lot of H.264 footage, say at 4K, and you're scaling down with tons of GPU accelerated effects mixed with effects that are not GPU accelerated and are hitting your CPU, then that is the source of your problems. Too many resource intensive processes that indicate your hardware is not really optimized for your current workflow. You need to make changes in the form of using proxies, transcoding or you may want to "mixdown" some of these more intensive elements and then reimport them as flattened assets. 

After taking these things into consideration, my guess is that you'll not see any more "black screens." Try them!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same exact problem. Has no one fixed this yet? The only suggestion I see is to reboot every time it goes black which is COMPLETEY unsustainable and unreasonable. Everytime I add a new file to my timeline the monitors go black. What do we do? roll all the way back to Premiere Pro 2019? PLEASE if anyone has a work around please share it! (besides rebooting over and over) Thank you so much. I am running Premeiere Pro 2022 build 20.0. and I am annoyed. Every single time Premiere Releases and update there are issues. As a client, I would expect better care to NOT release buggy software! I am at my wits end and under deadline. PLEASE help! Thanks so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a multiple monitor setup?

Can you import a clip and load it into the source monitor and have it display correctly?

What graphics adapter are you using?

Does turning off hardware acceleration make a difference?

Have you updated to the latest drivers for your hardware?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clairify, I had no problems until the Premiere Pro update. Period. This is the problem. What I would like to know is if you know how far I have to roll back to get rid of the problem? to answer your questions. Yes I have multiple monitors. Yes I can import the source into the monitor and have it display correctly. No I am not using a graphic adaptor. Turning off hardware acceleration does not make a difference. Please specify steps so I can make sure I am doing the right process if you would. My graphics card is NVIDIA High DEF version 4,11,1.0. No I have not updated the driver. It is not needed according to the specs? *see attatcged. I have had  no problem with my system until the Premiere Pro Update. I just want to know how far back I have to roll to get rid of the bug. I am running Premiere Pro 20.0. I am uploading system specs under Kevin's question to me. It wont let me upload multiple pics.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, Here are my system specs. I answered your other questions above. Thanks for trying to help me. I hope you can!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I still can't tell the GPU model you have. This is driver info and isn't quite what we need. We're trying to find out if the NVIDIA GPU meets system requirements and your model needs to have at least 2 GB VRAM. 

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin. I really apprciate your help. I have 32Gigs of RAM. My system meets all the specs. I had it built for this purpose using the specs listed on the Adobe site.  AORUS-RYZEN7 is the model it was built from *listed in my attatchement. NVIDIA is a graphics card and it also meets the specs and has been working great for two years. Display Driver is GeForce GTX 1050. What other driver info do you need?   From what I can tell the Processor driver is AMD Ryzen 7 1700x Eight-core Processor and Disk driver Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500g. Monitors are Generic Pnp monitor with Driver version 10.0.19041.1151 windows system 32driver. I do know that my system cannot run on Windows 11. Is there something querky about Premiere Pro 20.0 and Windows 10? Please help. I really need to get this fixed ASAP. I will buy whatever it takes. Is there any othe driver info you need?

Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KimagesImages,

Sorry. Are you meeting system requirements? Please give us details about your system and media, including CPU, GPU, RAM, HD, plus the camera and format you are editing with.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines