Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project won't open, hangs on locating media

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone --

I have a big VR project, probably 6 TB of media involved, that I am unable to open --  it seems to hang at "LOCATING MEDIA"  after getting through about 2/3 along the blue bar.  I've left it there for a few hours and it doesn't seem to go beyond that.

The last time I was able to edit the original thing was in December 2017, and I'm not sure what version I was at at that point, but I have a feeling I  updated my version at some point and that may have confused things.  

Would really appreciate your help and guidance on this. 

Thanks!

Rory

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sounds like you learned the hard way about NEVER updating your NLE in the middle of a project.

Look through your autosaves. Try to open some of them. Do this with just ONE project open AT A TIME. See if they work. If one does, you may be able to also open your most recent project, and just copy your main sequence over.

You also might need to go download and install an older version of Premiere.

You can KIND OF bring a new sequence into an old project, if you export to XML or something.

good luuuuuuck...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also you can try this: copy half of your main sequence into a new sequence. Take just that sequence into a new .prproj. Only some of your media files will be linked.

Do the same with the second half.

See if either of them is able to load all the media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should try the "half sequence" approach by trying to import the project into a new project?  Because I still hang on "locating media" and so I can't even get into the project main even with all of the media unlinked --

I do appreciate the tips, tho.  thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I was aware of the "never update your NLE" but unfortunately I had to for other client work that used the updated VR tools.

Sometimes older projects open fine. 

Is there a way to figure out which version of Premiere it was originally created in? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whats an NLE? I cant get into my project that I have been working on for a month

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere is an NLE.

Non-linear editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing is happening but I didn't update it I tried exporting it but did that do something to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

and the bar is full

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines