• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ProRes RAW files in Premiere Pro 23.0 are black in source, program monitor, and export

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for some help with this issue. I've been working with R3D or ProRes HQ prior to this and it's my first time with ProRes RAW from the Ninja V+ so I'm unable confirm if it was working on previous versions.

ProRes RAW files in Premiere Pro 2023 are displaying a black preview (source file and program monitor) - audio is playing fine. This issue is limited to ProRes RAW files only - I have verified numerous other projects using R3D and ProRes HQ are not encountering the same issue.

Preview/program monitor shows image when using Mercury Playback Engine Software Only or OpenCL - both with extremely hindered performance.

Using Mercury Playback Engine (CUDA) in Media Encoder results in files with black screen & audio, as above Software Only or OpenCL successfully export however extremely slowly (~45mins for a 2:05 project file. Single layer 5.9K source media, one technical LUT (CLog2 > Rec.709) 4K UHD export @ 30mbps CBR. I would usually expect this to take less than a couple of minutes.)

Attempted to create 720p ProRes proxies with media encoder - same issue, black image with audio playing.

Files play back with no issue on the Ninja V+

Specs/media:

• i9-10980HK

• RTX 3070 Laptop GPU

• 32gb RAM

• Premiere Pro 2023 (23.0)

• Mercury Playback Engine (CUDA)

• ProRes RAW 5.9K/24 from R5C in Super35 mode & Ninja V+

• ProRes RAW for windows 1.3 installed

• Latest Nvidia Studio Driver version 526.98 (tried switching between Studio and Game Ready as a hail mary to no avail)
  • Verified string value of C:\Program Files\Apple\ProRes RAW for Windows\ registry entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folder

• Verified .dll files present in C:\Program Files\Apple\ProRes RAW for Windows\

I've also recreated the project from scratch and cleared the media cache with no luck.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

A few users have reported they needed to roll back to a studio driver of around 517, that the newest driver isn't working with ProRes on their system. So try that also.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

After a bit of trial and error, I've got the following results:

Premiere Pro 23.0 & NVIDIA Studio Driver 526.98 is not working

Premiere Pro 22.6.2 & NVIDIA Studio Driver 526.98 is not working

Premiere Pro Beta 23.2 & NVIDIA Studio Driver 526.98 is not working

Premiere Pro 23.0 & NVIDIA Studio Driver 517.40 is working

After all that, I think it's safe to conclude that the latest (or newer versions of) the NVIDIA drivers are the problem here, thanks for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

You're right, .29 is for games, but it was the most recent and fixing the issue, so i gave it a try.
In the meantime they issued 531.41 that is Studio driver, and should fix the issue. 

NVIDIA Studio Driver | 531.41 | Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 11 | NVIDIA

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, D, 

Sorry, this might be CPU related, since that's the only variable that is not working for others. Does anyone else on the thread run an AMD CPU?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 25, 2022 Dec 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought about it, but I had a Threadripper 2920x before and it worked. 

Or maybe it's because it's a new CPU, but still... It should be decoded by the GPU? 🤔

Maybe there is someone else here with an AMD cpu from the new series to tell us if it works for him!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm, I had the same issue, and rolling back to nVidia Studio driver 517.40 fixed it. 

I hope that Adobe and nVidia are aware of that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Seize Neuf,

Thank you for the feedback. The team is aware of the issue and a fix is being worked on right now. You correctly indicate that 517.xx is the only driver not causing issues.

Thank You,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Another user has an issue with banding in ProRes files when the Prefs option for hardware encoding/decoding is checked. Which should only affect H.264/5 long-GOP formats, shouldn't it?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your feedback.  My name is Manuel and I work for NVIDA.  This bug will be fixed in our next Game Ready Driver/NVIDA Studio Driver.  In the meantime, I have added this bug to our Open Issues list in our driver feedback thread:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/507384/geforce-grd-52802-feedback-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manuel, 

Do you have some news about the fix ? 
As 517.xx are the latest driver not causing problems with ProRes Raw ... BUT this driver is causing blue screen crashes because of "memory management error". So we have to choose between working fine 3 or 4 hours with ProRes Raw ... or working all day long without crashes, but without ProRes Raw support. 

It's been a few month with this bug ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, 

A little update : 531.29 driver has - finally - fixed that bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this version is not working for me and it is for games

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, .29 is for games, but it was the most recent and fixing the issue, so i gave it a try.
In the meantime they issued 531.41 that is Studio driver, and should fix the issue. 

NVIDIA Studio Driver | 531.41 | Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 11 | NVIDIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my PC i have same issue 😞  (Studio Drivers 531.41)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunatelly, I have the same issue even with the newest driver 531.61 ;(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I RESOLVED
REINSTALLED WIN 10 PRO 22h2
WORKING WITH PREMIERE 23.2 AND 23.3
NVIDIA STUDIO 531.41

MY PC
DELL G5
I7 9750H
GPU 1660TI
16G RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines