• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proxies - no automatic relink i 2022-update.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone

When i try to use the "Relink others automatically"-function with "Media Start" under "Attach proxies" it's doesn't seem to work.

So i'm stucked with relinking every clip individually...

Worked fine with the 2021-version.

Anyone else have the same problem or have the solution for it?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Ok so I just figured out a quick enough work around for this!

If you're on a Mac it's as easy as selecting all your proxy files in the Finder window, right clicking and selecting [Rename...] then in the "Find:" box add the extra letters or numbers you want to remove from the file name and don't add anything extra in the "Replace with:".

Give it a minute to update, then go back into Premiere and relink proxies using the "File Name" option and it should work now!

Hope this helps anyone else 🙂

image.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 4.07.44 pm.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-18 at 4.07.52 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Michael Grenadier    browsing the Adobe forums, so many of the various problems in Premiere Pro are due to editing on external drives, that which Premiere Pro does not like, incuding proxy workflows. I stress it again, better edit on local drives and keep external drives for backups only. When doing backups, it is good to use the collect files feature in the project management, or use backup managers like AOMEI: https://www.ubackup.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work almost exclusively with media on external drives without any of these issues...  Do you mean drives connected over a network including cloudbased media?   that can certainly cause issues..     And I work on multiple projects concurrently sometimes large feature documentaries and it's not practical to work on internal drives...  I also provide support for a number of other editors and I rarely see these issues and when I do, it's usually because they've used "reserved" characters such as *, &, /, ., etc in file and/or folder names.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are lucky enough, I wouldn't go for client projects

and tight deadlines on external drives whatever,

be that over network or any kind of external drive.

I always edit on local drives.. externals for backups only.

how come it is not practical to edit on local drives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always worked this way without issues for many years.  I work at multiple locations on a variety of computers including macs and windows usually schlepping a media drive with me.  I work at my studio and at clients offices when necessary.  The media drive has all the media, autosaves and previews/renders on it.  The premiere projects live on the startup drive in a folder that's automatically mirrored on dropbox and all the computers I work on... Can't emphasize this enough.  I have never experienced any issues with this workflow.   And I work on complex longform documentaries and shorter corporate and music videos...    The windows machines have a utility from Paragon that allows them to read macosextended drives...  Occasionally there will be an issue moving from windows to the mac or vice versa but that's just a quick relink..     Can you describe any issues you've had?    I'm trying to remember if I've had any issues with dynamic links to After Effects projects with this workflow... don't think so...  but as long as the AE project and media are on the media drive (and on the mirrored dropbox folder) wouldn't be a problem to work around this.  And I've done some very complicated projects sending material to AE for image stabilizatoin, etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so I just figured out a quick enough work around for this!

If you're on a Mac it's as easy as selecting all your proxy files in the Finder window, right clicking and selecting [Rename...] then in the "Find:" box add the extra letters or numbers you want to remove from the file name and don't add anything extra in the "Replace with:".

Give it a minute to update, then go back into Premiere and relink proxies using the "File Name" option and it should work now!

Hope this helps anyone else 🙂

image.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 4.07.44 pm.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-18 at 4.07.52 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This worked for me with the Sony A7S3 proxies, thank you. Makes sense now.. Canon C300 proxies only had the additional "_P" at the end of the filename (and changing this to _Proxy works), whereas Sony proxies have "S03" at the end. I was assuming it just needed "_Proxy" at the end but it's a bit more specific than that- it needs to be "_Proxy" at the end of the original file name only, so Rename/Replace S03 is the way to go with that.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a C300 and this solution doesn't work for me. I've renamed the proxy files with the exact same name as the video file(.CRM) and it still doesn't work. I have the link the proxy files one by one. I'm working on a doc, there's over a thousand files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Robbie ! Great issue for this problem ! It works well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thankyou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for me!  Thank you very much.

Now I have to rename my proxy files exacly the same as the original files' name. Sorry adobe you are just horrible in not fixing this issue. I am a documentary shooter, and I have hundreds and thoudsands of footages in one single project. It's impossible and time wasting for me relink them invidually. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legend Robbie! Thanks for sharing mate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if I'm working on windows? 

I don't feel like this should be marked as a correct answer - yes, it's at good work around (on mac), but Adobe have still not fixed the core issue. Premiere v22 still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, what a lifesaver. thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. Proxies are named the same and have the same extensions as the original clips. It doesen't matter what parameter I try to play with in the autolink dialogue box but it simply doesen't work! Had no issues on previous versions of premiere using the exact same workflow. Really hope this gets fixed soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just to make sure, are you able to relink individual proxies?   Are the camera original files from the same camera that worked properly in the previous version of Premiere?   As a workaround, if you didn't delete the previous version, you might try relinking the proxies in that previous version of premiere and then and then import that project into the project in the latest version of premeire and see if the proxies stay linked...    If you did delete the previous version, you can reinstall it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply! I am able to relink individual proxies, and yes the camera I've used is the exact same. I will surely try your workaround. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey all, after pulling hair out over this one, I'm pretty sure I've found a workaround:

- uncheck "file extension" before attempting to search and relink --> this seems to auto-relink just fine. Which makes me think it's a premiere bug in filename extensions or something in that area

I'd imagine the workaround of saving the project for 2021 and relinking in 2021 before opening in 2022 would work too,  since I've never seen this in the 2021 version, but this new trick is doing it for me and saving a massive headache. Hope it helps others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for posting your workaround.  Not everyone does that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, after almost 6 months, Adobe has still not fixed this even with the latest update?

Since version 22, Proxy automatic relinking is still not working...

So, I am still stuck at version 15.4.1

This is beyong ridiculous, how do they expect us to pay them money and not fix such a major issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I had this problem too.  Notice the operative word, "had". 

I spent around an hour on Adobe Chat with Bahadur, and he fixed me up by restting my preferences.  It all works great now.  I am pasting his steps below.  I realize I'm being Captain Obvious here, but make sure you have selected all your clips in any given bin prior to attaching proxies in order to ensure every clip in that bin is attached.  Also, to verify that your clip has an attached proxy, right-click on the clip and go to properties.  As usual you'll see the standard info about the clip, but look (scroll) below and if you see a section entitled 'proxy', the proxy is successfully attached.  You can check this either in the bin or when the clip is on the timeline.

Alright, enough delay, here are the steps, good luck I hope this works for you!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 2022-06-19 11:04:08 +08
To: Everyone
Step 1: Open Task manager, go to process tab and close all Adobe related programs like (Creative cloud, Core sync, CC library, services for Adobe desktop app, Adobe desktop service, AdobeIPCbroker, AAM updater).

Step 2: Go to these locations and rename the "Premiere pro” folder and change the name to "Premiere pro.old"

1. Open file explorer >> Documents >> Adobe >> Premiere pro (Rename this folder)

2. Press WIN & R keys from keyboard to open RUN prompt >> Type %appdata% >> enter >> Adobe >> Premiere pro (Rename this folder)
----------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2022-06-19 11:05:04 +08
I would like to inform you one thing after resetting preferences you might not be able to see your presets like workspaces, effect presets etc. Do you want them back or you can recreate them again?
----------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2022-06-19 11:05:30 +08
Yes I noticed that, but I'm fine I can recreate them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TVQxMan,

I have tried re-setting preferences for my Premeire Pro too many times, including with Adobe support chat help also as wella s my own.

That does not fix proxies not attaching automatically issue for me. Only when I am using Premeire Pro version 15.4.1. or older I can atatch proxies for now...

I really hope they fix this issue, otherwise I will have to migrate to another editing software...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't tell from your reply if you gave it one more shot following the steps he outlined, but either way, I am very sorry you are still stuck.  Trust me, I'm sitting on about 300 clips in my latest project and I was at a total loss how I was going to get around this.  Many were shot at 120fps 10bit 4:2:2 at 280Mbps.  Needless to say, the clips were bringing my computer to its knees.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is not seen since the beginning of the upgrade to v. 22. Users write, and Adobe employees talk about something else. It feels like they don't use these functions. I will emphasize that this is one of the most important and frequently used in the workflow, which makes it possible to work productively. And this function was cut off for us. Work, as they say, thinking how to get out of this situation.

Adobe, WHEN WILL THERE BE A FIX?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your exact problem? can you explain more about your workflow?

Here in the forums we are user to user, we are not all Adobe staff, we are here

to help each other as much as we can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem many users are having, is that they didn't change a single thing in their workflow other than updating Premiere to v22. And now a critical function doesn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines