• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Error compiling movie. Unknown Error." OR program crash when rendering

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When rendering in Premiere Pro CC I get the messge "Error compiling movie. Unknown Error." OR the program crashes.

-Adobe Premiere Pro CC V 7.0.0 (342)

-ASUS Z87-A, Intel Core i7 4 core, 16gb RAM

-450gb+ disc space

-Also installed: After Effects, Adobe Media Encoder

-All recent updates installed

-Windows7 64bit

-I am using all programs through Creative Cloud

-Footage is AVCHD 720p but doesn't work with .mts or .mp4 files

-I am trying to render speed and simple cross dissolves. Neither are working

-This has happened before on a friend's desktop. I was using his machine to edit on while I was in the process of building mine. He got the same error when I was trying to export. I restarted and the issue was fine. Restarting on my machine has not solved the issue. This leads me to think it is a bug in the program?

-I have been running After Effects and it has worked flawlessly.

Help!?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Hi,

This is an old post describing a generic problem. Create a new post with your system details, info about your media, and screenshots of any error dialog boxes you get. Crash reports also help. Feel free to attach those. Sorry for this issue, but with info, it can be solved.

Help documentation may assist this issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/error-compiling-movie-rendering-or.html

This post is locked.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 284 Replies 284
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2016 Jan 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Keith

Same here, I am seriously considering Resolve. I can't take this anymore. I've been using Premiere Pro since 2007 and I can't remember a 6month period where I didn't have one thing or the other bug me. I pay over £45 per month and its either its a rendering issue or something else. I will rather be using a free program at least I won't feel this upset that its buggy. By the way, I've used MacBooks, iMacs, PC Tower, Gaming Laptop and each one always threw up one problem or the other. Funny thing is no other software gives me as much grief as Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not going to read every single reply, but I'll tell you what worked for me.
What was throwing it off was a poorly exported graphic from Ps....
It was originally imported as layers. I went in and changed it to a single jpeg as well as a png.  I brought it into my sequence and then scaled to frame size.

Worked perfectly.  This was my experience and may not be yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. No solution so far.

Export Error

Error compiling movie.

Unknown error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just unbelievable. I really can't believe I pay money for this every single month. My issue involves putting together rendered frames from an animation program. One particular series I have is 130 frames long. It worked fine, no issues when I first rendered. I then went back into my 3d program and made a slight change to the animation and rerendered. Same resolution, same frame rate, same format, everything the same. Replaced the old footage and BAM, Error Compiling!!! So I rerendered, three times!!! To no avail. This is maddening!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Finally I have found a workaround.

- Exporting from AME or Premiere all gave me the unknown error.

- I realized that when I turn off OpenCL acceleration (I am on Mac), then it works, but since the project was 3 hours long, it was not an option for me to wait out the increased rendering time.

- I decided to use AME as always. I turned (in AME Preferences) the Preview While Encoding feature. (I do not lime it but it was necessary to see where the rendering stopped)

- Once I figured out where the issue was I replaced the clip to something else (it was a B-roll) on the timeline. It still gave me the error, so it is the weirdest thing I would think.

- Anyway I went further ahead and selected the "faulty" clip and 2-3 more clips before and after on my timeline. Then I right clicked and selected Render and Replace. I selected DNxHR preset and render-replaced all those selected clips.

See image: http://www.onethyme.com/images/shots/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-11%20at%2010.42.38%20AM.png

- Now I had to re-do stabilizing on those clips (as it did not work anymore), but after I was able to export out with OpenCL enabled from AME.

Adobe needs to fix this issue! I spent like 5-6 hours to find this workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2016 Feb 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this appears to be an OpenCL/AMD Firepro conflict, at least for me. which is frustrating since i'm running a top of the line Mac Pro with dual FirePro D700s, which are supposed to be optimized for OpenCL. ha!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2016 Feb 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fails since last update

failing on exports in prem pro cc 2015 and AME cc 2015

exports are simple time code displayed of single shot interviews with clip name effect also included

source material is MXF

problem is solved by copying MXF to ProRez in external program (catalyst) then reimport / export in Adobe

so far cannot find a solution within the adobe software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 13, 2016 Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Premiere Pro CC, just downloaded the 2015 trial version. I experienced the "Compile Failed- Unknown Error" problem too when exporting in H.264. A tip from another post led me to the apparent problem:

The compile error occurred when the export was at 97% complete, which suggested the problem was near the end of the sequence. The tip was that a cross-dissolve on an overlay track caused that fellow's error, and I had a cross-dissolve on video track 2 right near the end of my 15-minute sequence. So I removed the dissolve and the export then completed successfully.

Hope this helps some other very frustrated editors.

P.S.- As a former software writer, it's my opinion that the "Unknown Error" message is not only useless, it's unforgivable. Whoever wrote the software could certainly give relevant information about what process was involved, if not the exact nature of the problem. This business of having to start dissecting a complex sequence and running multiple time-consuming exports to diagnose and narrow down the problem area is enough to make me not purchase the product, to say the least. It's shameful that this kind of incompetence is still being encountered today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a feature film director, I choose to edit my own work. I have been experiencing this for over a week now. Even if something in this thread helps me get my film mastered, I swear to God, I am never using Premiere again. Time to start over and learn Avid. I have edited two features in a row, and half to challenge is always babying the software and troubleshooting impossible issues.

Cannot wait to wash my hands of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌If working with MXF files here is the solution as reported earlier by Keith. (The way premiere reads and encodes MXF files changed with 2015.1 and is now basically broken.)

1- Uninstall Premiere and Encoder

2- Manually download and install previous versions both AME and Premiere CC 2015 *cc 2015 just prior to 2015.1* (don't use creative cloud installer) Install a previous version of any Creative Cloud application

3- Manually download and install the 2015.02 updates for both AME and Premiere

4- Then ONLY update Premeire to the latest version leaving at AME 2015.02

When you send your edited project to the encoding cue via AME it should work now as expected even though they are not the same version.

had this problem consistently for weeks and since doing this have not had a compiling error.

good idea to clean cache folders and even open premiere and encoder before updating premiere to the latest version when completing this process.

There are random reasons you MAY encounter the compiling error, but this addresses the issue of consistent errors in every project you send to encode.

GOOD LUCK!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly this is the standards of software development we now live in.  'We'll patch it in the next version... maybe...maybe not....". The marketing departments constantly push the engineers beyond any ability to keep stability paramount.  I gave up on Sony Vegas four years ago due to instability and moved to Premiere, which was definitely more stable at the time. But the Creative Cloud development paradigm seems to be undermining that... quickly.....  This critical and extremely frustrating 3 YEAR OLD render bug continues to live strong and healthy with no apparent effort to resolve it.  I'm still amazed that any professional software engineer is allowed to report an 'unkown error' in software such as this.  I've never used Avid, but fear it suffers from bugs as well.  While hopping from editor to editor may allow you to chase the currently most stable suite, the loss of productivity due to a constant learning curve isn't great... sadly, it may be less time consuming to learn a new editor every 2 years, rather than bang your head to a bloody pulp at 3am night after night when you're trying in vain to render a paid project for clients needing it the next day.

Admitedly, a NLE incorporates so many 3rd party pieces of software, it's probably always difficult to keep it's head above water.  All the more reason for Adobe to place stability as it's core 'feature', taking critical bugs (like this 3 year old render bug... with numerous causes) extremely seriously.  Sadly they don't.  I just don't understand how stability can't be the most important feature for a 'professional' editing suite.  I love how the word professional has been dumbed down so much in today's endless marketing diarrhea. Professional should mean NASA professional.... where if the software crashes, people die.  It would be nice if Adobe valued our time just a little more.  I just don't know how these big time films that Adobe brags about can claim to have edited their feature on Premiere.  Perhaps they have the ear of the entire engineering team, and have their critical bugs taken seriously and solved quickly.  Unfortunately, the average joe editor.... which probably generates most of the monthly cloud revenue for Adobe, loses out.... waiting years in the dark for a fix to a critical bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2016 Feb 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this from

9h9 hours ago

1) Try exporting with Mercury Playback Engine software only 2) Try exporting in a different format (just a test) Thanks, ^RK

so tried  "software only" and exports of mxf material working --- not sure if this is a fix or a workaround in this case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am back where I was before. I am not able to export with OpenCL: enabled, Only software... Mercury engines always gives me the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2016 Feb 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received this error message while trying to render an effect in a sequence.  I tried a bunch of different things and finally fixed it!  The sequence I was having the problem with was created with a custom setting.  I created a new sequence using one of the Adobe presets.  I dragged a source clip into this new sequence.  A dialogue box asked me if I wanted to change the sequence to match the clip settings.  I said yes.  Now the sequence plays and renders just fine.  I don't know if this will solve the issue every time for everyone but it worked for me.

Hope this helps at least one other frustrated soul out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 27, 2016 Feb 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating my Nvidia GPU 960 driver, my "Unknown error" (on export) seemed to be resolved. But not for long... it's back again, after adding more clips and effects to my sequence. It occurs unpredictably, and varies; also now occurs with and without GPU acceleration. Sometimes if I shorten the sequence to be exported (by adjusting the gray "work area" bar and exporting only the segment under it), it works. Other times, it fails. I have no idea why, and I'm not at all interested in spending hours trying to diagnose or debug this software.

Adobe, this is extremely aggravating. I see no reason why you can't at least give some indication of what the nature of the error is, so that we could hopefully work around it. Better yet, MAKE THIS WORK !   If this continues much longer, you can say goodbye to my money. I don't have this kind of issue with NCH Video Pad. Not being able to export relatively straightforward sequences in H264 is not acceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, after a long arduous endurance, I think I may have solved this render issue, at least on my system. I changed my setup so my OS and Premiere pro are on one SSD (as before but reinstall OS and all apps) with my project files on another SSD (new, was previously on a HDD) and my ingested footage on a HDD (WD Black, was previously on a slower HDD). Its as if my system is reborn. No playback or render freeze and for the first time I had Media Encoder render two files at the same time (looked strange at first). Not sure if this will solve it for others but it sure seems to have fixed mine. Will give updates if situation changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2016 Apr 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have just had a couple of weeks of unknown error - across more than one project. In this case it seems related to the CUDA / Nvidia / GPU side of things, mainly because switching to CPU render removes the problem.

So far I've noticed these things that seem to affect the renderer;

• Adjustment layers
  • Plug-ins
  • Large stills
  • If the error comes up once, sometimes the project is no longer responsive until restart of app or system
  • Clicking on another app, ie a web browser can cause the error
  • Warp Stabilizer
  • Sometimes the sequence is 'corrupt' for lack of a better word and it needs to be copy pasted into another sequence / project
  • Optical Flow speed adjustment

I feel like the things I'm doing in the project are what are advertised as things that the software does! Sometimes the projects are complex and have After Effects linked comps, grain overlays, LUT adjustment layers, multiple plugins etc - sometimes they're pretty simple 3 lane edits. The question I keep asking myself is - is it Adobe's stance that having a complex project may cause the software to no longer work as advertised?

To be honest this has been a hugely frustrating process, making vague excuses to my clients 'it won't render - and I don't know why!?'

I've been working with Premiere since 2007 and have been embattled with Error Compiling Movie more than once, but I'm sure it has been in the last 3 years, or since CC?

At the end of the day I feel like it's just going to be a struggle to get the job out and this week for the first time since 2007 I've been seriously considering other options for software - it just sucks the success out of the job when you spend another 50% of your time fixing issues in the app!

Sometimes when I read the Adobe help or watch the tutorial videos, I feel like they're based around beginnings of projects and basic projects. It would be great if there was some communication around complex timelines, dealing with multiple layers, 10bit info etc - then maybe their tutorial guys and gals might run into these issues and have to solve them too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2016 Apr 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue: Premiere was getting hung up on the Encoding window when exporting. It would show the completion bar at 0%, then I would hit Cancel, and Premiere would freeze, then I'd have to Force Quit.

I tried exporting an FCP xml file and got errors, but in the translation error page that it spits out I noticed that all the translation errors were audio related, specifically referencing audio effects.

HERE'S MY FIX:

1. So I went back into the Project and Sequence

> selected all the audio clips

> right clicked and selected Remove All Effects

> Then check the box to only remove all audio effects and nothing else.

2. To be sure, I also save the Exported file to my Mac internal hard drive, instead of the external hard drive that all media and project files were on.

And presto! It worked. I was able to export successfully.

Now I'll be using protools to mix and master the audio, but that's not as big of a deal compared to working for months on a film and not being able to export. This is a HUGE problem that must be addressed by Adobe, as many of you have stated in this thread.

I hope this fix helps. Lots of love to you all. Editors unite!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 10, 2016 Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted in this thread a year or two ago and another error compiling thread on this forum (my other screen name was screenname_abc).  I had some horrendous issues.  Such a shame to see people are still having issues and I sympathise so much I feel obliged to respond.  Basically the Error Compiling Movie problem ruined a documentary production of mine.  I have since got a new iMac 4.2GHz 4GB video card 16GB Ram etc and I don't get the error compiling message anymore and the documentary is back on track.. it worked a dream switching to a new machine.  I use Premiere maybe 10 hours a day 7 days a week.  Occasionally I still do get the message but it's usually a case of hard drive being full or simply needing a close and reopen of Premiere.  Error Compiling movie seems to be a generic message that basically means "We have a problem".  What I don't understand is why the message can't be more specific; "Error because of - Audio effects" Error Because of CC effects.  Error because of HD space etc.....  The most frustrating thing for me is seeing people still with the same issues and there not being an all out fix by Adobe.  For some people it was audio that caused the problems.. for some people colour effects... for some people processors... I went through hell for months trying to find solutions and the goal posts always moved.  I'd find a solution and then it'd come back for some other reason that could take me days/weeks/months to trouble shoot.  At the end of the day... It was only when I upgraded to CC2014 or 2015 (I can't remember) that the errors started.  It wasn't there in previous versions.  This was caused by Adobe SW engineers.  So... seemingly if you are struggling the only way I found to really fix it was to buy a completely new computer.  An expensive solution to a bug caused by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 10, 2016 Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, be careful what you say about Adobe, otherwise Kevin Monahan will delete or move your post to the Video Lounge like he did the last two which he found 'not useful'. Although Adobe says this is a 'user-to-user' forum (i.e., it's not a support site), they like to ensure users can't commiserate. This isn't the first time I've seen Kevin's heavy-handed censorship.

To ensure my post remains for all to see, I will add the following: Adobe is wonderful! Adobe Premiere Pro is the best darn editing program on the planet, and puts Avid to shame. It also is bug-less, and never fails to work as advertised. Sign up today!

There.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

So, be careful what you say about Adobe, otherwise Kevin Monahan will delete or move your post to the Video Lounge like he did the last two which he found 'not useful'. Although Adobe says this is a 'user-to-user' forum (i.e., it's not a support site), they like to ensure users can't commiserate. This isn't the first time I've seen Kevin's heavy-handed censorship.

To ensure my post remains for all to see, I will add the following: Adobe is wonderful! Adobe Premiere Pro is the best darn editing program on the planet, and puts Avid to shame. It also is bug-less, and never fails to work as advertised. Sign up today!

Please stay on topic. If you have anything to contribute regarding this specific issue please let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello dk,

I don't get the error compiling message anymore and the documentary is back on track.

Glad to hear that you are back on track. Unfortunately, "Error Compiling Movie" is a long time issue that can be triggered for a variety of reasons. It can be triggered by hardware, media types, and yes, can be an issue with Premiere Pro.

Error Compiling movie seems to be a generic message that basically means "We have a problem".

Yes, basically. It can happen for a variety of reasons. Typically, it's because media is either not optimal, there is a corrupt preview file, a corrupt sequence, a third party effect that is not certified for that version, or an issue with Premiere Pro or how Premiere Pro is reacting to your OS/Hardware or what you've added to that hardware via connecting it or adding a driver that conflicts with Premiere Pro. There really are lots of potential things that can go wrong with export.

What I don't understand is why the message can't be more specific; "Error because of - Audio effects" Error Because of CC effects.  Error because of HD space etc.....

Agreed. I've been recommending this to the engineering team and it looks as though we may see some significant improvements in this area in upcoming versions of Premiere Pro. Others can recommend this to the team by filing a feature request. Thanks.

The most frustrating thing for me is seeing people still with the same issues and there not being an all out fix by Adobe.

The thing is that it can be caused by problems that are out of Adobe's control: unsupported media types being used, unsupported effects, people working on project files they have updated across major versions, or corrupted by some operation, using unsupported or not very powerful hardware, engaging in uncommon workflows, not managing media very carefully, drives are fragmented and/or too full, lack of general hardware maintenance, outdated drivers, weak or unsupported GPUs, etc.

If an error compiling movie error happens for other reasons, like a Premiere Pro bug, I wish to know about it. If you can ever isolate a bug like this, please PM me and I'll forward along the info. We want to fix anything we can have control over.

Thanks for your feedback, and concern. I hope that better messaging will help others in the future.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree with you, I hope Adobe reads your posts. If they could clarify what is wrong then one has a chance at resolving it. On my part my guess is my media was on a very slow drive. I changed my setup to SSDs and WD Black HDD for media and Premiere has been stable and fast including all the old projects files that used to crash. Interestingly other solutions have worked for other folks. Having one error code to represent unrelated problems is a sure way to frustrate users and risk them jumping sip to a program that at least tries to help not annoy its users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ocube,

Completely agree with you, I hope Adobe reads your posts.

I am on Adobe staff, so I am lucky enough to have direct access to the bug database. I have listed some of the things that we are seeing as the cause for this very common error.

To those bugs, I can add commentary, empirical evidence, my own findings, findings from other users, etc. I pass along as much info as I can. You can file your own feedback on any issue, including better error messaging in a bug report, as well.

On my part my guess is my media was on a very slow drive.

That's rather a common error that gets by people. Many people don't use a separate drive for encoding, so that makes the operation cumbersome for the computer. A good separate drive can help the encoding process speed along smoothly.

Premiere has been stable and fast including all the old projects files that used to crash.

Thanks for that report.

Having one error code to represent unrelated problems is a sure way to frustrate users and risk them jumping sip to a program that at least tries to help not annoy its users.

Agreed. Glad error codes will be more clear in upcoming versions.

Thank you,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2016 Apr 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin for your heartfelt comments... Meanwhile, back at work:

FOLKS: CUT/PASTE TIMELINE ASSETS TO A NEW SEQUENCE

What has worked for me many times is to "CUT" the Assets in the "BAD" Sequence and PASTE them into a new Sequence (Exit/RE-START Premiere Pro and Create a new Project/Sequence in between CUT/PASTE).

This would indicate that it is not a hardware (or Effects or Transition or Jpeg) problem, but that the Project file has become corrupted. If it was HW or Effects or Transitions... it would have been identified and fixed long ago.

This is also why it "starts working" after you spend days pulling out a bunch of assets/transitions/effects and then re-adding them one-by-one - you are essentially recreating/cleaning the Project file by hand. Eventually you do pull out the bad project file entries - and guess what? It starts working again!!

This happens a lot on sequences that I have worked on for many months - they "Age" (poorly) - i.e. Premiere Pro starts to make a mess in the project file.

Someday, Adobe will ask us for "Before" and "After" Project files to research this problem and fix it. Someday, Adobe will fire the folks who wrote ( & defend) the "unknown error" message box and hire someone to write professional code in its place. But for now, Adobe can start by doing a code review on all transactions that cause writes to the project files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines