Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

"Replace With Clip" not working

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to Premiere Pro CC 2017. Much to my dismay, the "Replace With Clip" functionality is not working.

I've restarted Premiere and restarted my computer with no results. I'm certain I have the clip selected in the bin and the clip selected in the timeline.

I'm working on a PC running Windows 7 with plenty of RAM (16GB). I've never had this problem until I upgraded to 2017.

Here's a screenshot. The "Replace With Clip" item is greyed out in the contextual menu. My keyboard shortcut to "Replace With Clip from Bin" does not work either.

I use this function all the time and need to find a solution pronto!

Premiere Pro 2017 - replace clip unavailable.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017
thxapproved2: You are right; Replace With Clip works only if you select the clip in the main Project panel, not if that same clip is in a floating panel.This bug is not new to Premiere Pro 12.0 (2018), however. This problem existed also in ver. 2017.1. The last time it worked was in ver. 2015.1. Please file a bug report: Feature Request/Bug Report Form Here it works in 2015.1:Here it does not work in 12.0 (same problem in 2017.1):

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has NOT been solved.  The bug still exists, and has existed since CC2015.  If there is functionality that worked in a previous version, and is then broken, the problem has not be solved.  You've merely found a work-around for a bug that most certainly still exists.  The problem isn't "solved" until the bug has been fixed.  And it has now been nearly 2 years that it has been a known bug.  This NEEDS to be fixed, so that paying customers can return to the workflow they successfully used when they first chose to pay for your subscription service.  We keep paying, so the expectation is that you are obligated to keep fixing things that you broke.  This has been a bug for FAR TOO LONG!

To add a little more detail, the window does not need remain a floating window to produce the problem.  It you open the subfolder (by double-clicking a folder from within the project folder), even if you un-float the window by docking the panel, the problem still exists.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan,

Rest assured, I have submitted a bug report on this problem after every update and release since CC2015. Trust me, I have.  This is why the fact it still exists, is somewhat frustrating.

Thanks

-Todd

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anybody got any recent news regarding this bug?

I can add that I don't ever use floating windows, but do use multiple tabs, and have exactly the same issue as reported. Replace with Clip from Source Monitor works fine, but From Bin is greyed out: it just stopped working a few years ago and has never been fixed.

This is a vital part of my animation editing workflow, so much so that I had it mapped to a keyboard shortcut.

I believe we have waited long enough for a fix to something that was working absolutely fine before.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was experiencing the same From Bin woes as many of you earlier and realized after poking around that there are a couple things I needed to do in order to gain access to the From Bin option. Here's what worked for me in PP CC 13.0.1:

1. Make sure you are only viewing the main "root" folder of your Projects panel in Premiere Pro. Close any sub-folder project panels or floating windows. This is a key step regardless of how you are attempting to replace your footage.

2. If you are viewing your Project panel in Icon View, switch to List View at the bottom of the Project panel. If you organize your source footage, image files, and audio into folders / sub-folders like I do, navigating to the clip you wish to replace via List View using drop down menus is the only way I've found replacing From Bin will work.

3. Click on the file you want to swap in. Go to your timeline and control + click (Mac) on the clip you wish to replace. Now when you go to Replace with Clip, From Bin should be available as an option.

Hope this is helpful to you all. Really odd glitch that Adobe has let sit for far too long IMO.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can Adobe please actually fix this bug?  Providing a work-around for something that previously worked WITHOUT a work-around is not a solution. 

We are literally paying money for a subscription that contains a bug that Adobe has had 2 years to fix.  If the premise is that we are paying for a subscription model, so that updates and bug fixes are easier to implement, then it is inexcusable that Adobe refuses to fix a bug that DID NOT exist prior to CC2017. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still a problem as of CC19, here's me talking about it a year ago with yet another workaround: https://community.adobe.com/t5/Premiere-Pro/Replace-Clip-with-Sequence-Error/td-p/10218133

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh so here's the work around that works right now (CC19). You have to do some manual work but it's better than nothing... 

01- Create nests of replacement assets. Make the timeline timecode same as the OG clip. You can do this by selecting:

clipboard_image_0.png

02- Select clip you want to replace in your master timeline.

03- Open source clip in the source panel. Copy the timecode start.

04- Open the replacement clip in the source panel. Paste timecode start. 

05- Select clip you want to replace in the timeline and:

clipboard_image_1.png

This will match the clip to the manually selected timecode and things will be right-on. 

So slow, so stupid. Why not just an alt drag of the file (like good old After Effects?) woof woof woof!!!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running CC2020....

problem is still there, option grayed out unless you have only one bin ( main project bin open )...

😞

would be great to get that bug fix ! 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug still here.  U stink adobe!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines