• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Sorry, a serious error has occurred..."

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A problem that I've had sporadically in the past has become a serious issue today. Anytime I open a project in Adobe Premiere Pro and try to edit, within 5-10 minutes I'm getting the "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Pro to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project." The crash doesn't seem to be caused by any one particular action, but it has happened every time I've attempted to run Premiere today (10 times so far). 

System/version info

Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015 v. 9.0.1

iMac (27-inchm Late 2013)

OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite)

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096MB

5D Mark II footage

No 3rd party plug-ins/software running

I should also note that all of my project files and footage are stored on a networked drive, managed by the IT department at the university I work for. I've edited many many projects this same way (over the networked drive) for years and have never had a problem.

Anyone have any guesses as to what's causing the crash? I have a screenshot of the crash report and can post that if it would be helpful.

Thank you,

-Ryan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

I believe I have found a solution for now. After endless testing, re-installing Premiere and updating to El Capitan (10.11.4) with no luck, I updated the driver for my Nvidia GeForce 780M Graphics Card (release 346.03.02) and CUDA 7.5 for Mac OS X, then changed the Rendering setting (File-Project Settings) in Premiere to CUDA from OpenCL. This seems to have made Premiere much more stable, and after several hours of work it has yet to crash. This is the first time in more than a week that I've be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it crash if you create a new project with local assets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea Peru Bob, I'll give that a try and see it it still crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Make sure all your cache files and other files are local, not on the network drive.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kevin. I've set my scratch disks to the network drive (which I've done many times in the past), but my media cache is local to the machine.

At the moment, the problem seems to be isolated to one particular project. I've done some work in other projects that are stored on the same network drive without any issues. Are there any other project-specific settings you suggest I check?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also copied the entire project folder down to my local desktop, opened the project and Premiere is still crashing within a few minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I have found a solution for now. After endless testing, re-installing Premiere and updating to El Capitan (10.11.4) with no luck, I updated the driver for my Nvidia GeForce 780M Graphics Card (release 346.03.02) and CUDA 7.5 for Mac OS X, then changed the Rendering setting (File-Project Settings) in Premiere to CUDA from OpenCL. This seems to have made Premiere much more stable, and after several hours of work it has yet to crash. This is the first time in more than a week that I've been able to work for this long without a crash, so I'm hopeful that I have found a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for reporting back rwaggoner.

K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2016 May 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed nVidia Web driver 346.03.10f01 and Cuda 7.5.29 and I select setting to Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA) on the Mac Os X 10.11.5 for Nvidia 660 Ti.

And problem is solved

Thank you for nice tip !

Kind regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does one update their drivers? I have OpenCL and Nvidia GeForce GT 750M but I don't see CUDA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is solved by going to File > Project Settings > General... and then changing the Mercury Playback Engine Software Only... then deleting all stored Previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much findingmyself​

You just saved my life & time too....

stay blessed buddy.

Love from INDIA.

THANK YOU ADOBE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2016 Oct 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried all of these suggestions but I keep getting the same Error and endless crashing.

I'm on Mac OS 10.10.5 simply trying to add captions to a film.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2016 Oct 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, two things: 1) go to File > Project Settings > General... and then changing the Mercury Playback Engine Software Only... 2) then delete all stored Previews from your Media Cache. I am not sure which of these two cause the biggest problems, but I've dealt with this problem for years and these steps seem to have taken it away!

Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 8.29.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 8.29.31 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing the serious error crash, tried all the above, no fix .. Very annoying as I am only trying to cut and copy text in a title!

System Info :

Premier CC 2017.0.1

OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

4Ghz Intel Core i7

32GB Ram

AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 BM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks findingmyself​ for providing a simple and efficient solution to this problem!  At least for a Mac user like myself.  Seeing your comment reminded me that I changed the playback settings for another project I was working on.  Once I switched it back, the project that was causing the crash opened right up and allowed me to work on it again with no problems (yet).  Thanks again!

UPDATE:  20 minutes after writing the afrorementioned fix, Premiere crashed on me again while messing with "essential" graphics.  Rrrrrr!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for posting this.  I've had this occur on multiple projects when I switch from a newer trashcan mac pro or macbook pro to my older editing tower (Older G5 Style Tower) with a Quadro 4000 installed.  If that newer machine isn't using CUDA, premiere immediately crashes upon loading media on the NVIDIA powered machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had been experiencing the "Serious Error" dialog as well. No matter what project I opened, they all would crash. I'm on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3 and went into "System Preferences" and clicked on CUDA at the bottom. Updated that driver and then went here to update my Nvidia (GeForce GTX 780m) driver. Everything works great now!

NVIDIA DRIVERS Quadro & GeForce macOS Driver Release 387.10.10.10.25.156

Hope this helps someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS. I could virtually hug you! 😄 

I was able to fix my crashes by changing the rendering settings in the projects. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

helpp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines