• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Random export window error

Engaged ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a few months now I've been getting an intermittent problem while in the export window.  When the problem happens I'm taken to the export window, all looks normal, but when I try to pick a preset, change a file name, move the preview playhead, press "export" or "send to media encoder"or anything else, all I get is a dinging sound as if there's another dialog window or something open that needs attending to.  See the attached 12 second video for an example.

The thing is, there's no dialog to be seen.  I can navigate to a different program and then back to Premiere and the problem is still there.  The only solution when this happens is to force quit Premiere via Task Manager.

This happens maybe 15% of the time I try to export.

Currently running Premiere Pro Version 22.6.2 (build 2)

Windows 10

NVidia Quadro P4000 (driver version 516.94)

Intel Core i9-9900K

64GB RAM

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure all other software is closed, so the graphics card is only used for Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is an entirely impractical suggestion in my workplace.  I require Outlook to be running to receive emails.  I require Teams to be running to receive internal calls.  I require Word to be running to copy/paste text into Premiere captions.  These are all programs that have coexisted with Premiere for years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just try it to see if its the graphics card that can or cannot handle many things at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't try it, because as I explained this same computer runs other essential software that I have to keep running.  I can't go entirely incommunicado at work to troubleshoot something that only happens approximately 15% of the time I export a video.

I have no doubt my graphics card can handle Premiere and the Microsoft programs I have running.  Nearly every day I run intensive After Effects compositions while Premiere and everything else is open and it doesn't skip a beat. 

This problem is Premiere based, I'm sure of it.  Next time it happens I'll get a screen capture of Task Manager as I end task.  I always see some strange Premiere activity in the list as it shuts down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you at least quit the other software running when you experience the problem and see if that allows you to continue?     Never easy to troubleshoot problems from a distance, so not easy to make suggestions...  What about quiting the other programs before you start the export and when the export starts, you can then relaunch the other apps...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also, do you have at least 20% free space on your startup drive?  and I'd also play around with the memory settings in preferences.    Happy to explain my thinking if you want

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 25% free space on my startup drive.  As for memory settings, my preferences are set to have Premiere and Encoder share 52GB of RAM...and these aren't ram-intensive sequences I'm running - simple HD footage with a few simple MOGRTs pulled from my CC library.

What I'm curious to hear your thinking about is why you think quitting other running software when the problem happens might allow me to re-engage with the Premiere application.  What do you think might be happening with the other running programs to cause problems with exporting but only a very small percentage of the time?  And why do you think that I'm getting a chime noise when trying to click rather than the more typical crash behavior where there's no response from the program at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

troubleshooting from a distance is not easy and you need to temporarily try things that may inhibit your usual way of working.   Since you are unwilling to work without those other apps running, I'm thinking this is a way to see if there's a conflict between one or more other apps and Premiere.   Probably a long shot, but it's a simple thing to try.    It's all about how debilitating you find this problem and what you're willing to do resolve the issue... and troubleshooting is a process of guessing and testing.  I'm guessing  that this could be a memory management issue that might be caused by the combination of programs running.  And sometimes a vestige of another software install can be screwing things up.  

Have you looked at task manager to see if there's anything odd going on when this happens?    

I can go over some other basic troubleshooting steps on windows if you want.  I mainly work on the Mac but I do have a windows machine that I run Premiere on...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  I appreciate your interest in solving the mystery, and I'm a big believer and practitioner of deductive troubleshooting.  We agree that troubleshooting is a process of guessing and testing, I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind the test you've guessed might reveal something new. 

I have experienced hundreds of Premiere Pro crashes caused by various system-related problems, but the behavior described here suggests only that something within Premiere itself is glitching.  I'll certainly try shutting down everything else the next time to see if that somehow gives me back control of Premiere.

In the second video (export error 2.mp4) which I attached to my comment below I show the odd behavior I observed in Task Manager as I end task for Premiere.

I just noticed that this person is having the same exact problem as me, though I'm unable to replicate one of the ways they are able to make it happen:  https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/windows-file-browser-doesn-t-appear-or-gets-...

Every indication is that Premiere thinks there's an active dialog box requiring some sort of interaction.  But there's no dialog box to be found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

definitely an idea to pursue...  Do you have multiple monitors attached?   Are you working in fullscreen mode?

Have you tried adjusting your screen resolution in windows display settings?   Maybe try changing/resetting your workspace?   Can you export something from the source monitor rather than the program monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, two monitors attached.  Not working in fullscreen mode.

I have not tried adjusting my Windows display resolution, but I can alt-tab and identify every open window...and none of them require me to click anything in order to continue using Premiere.

Not sure what you mean by changing/resetting my workspace.  Do you mean within Premiere?  I use multiple workspaces as I edit, continually toggling through them as required.  But when this glitch happens I'm not able to do anything with workspaces because I'm not able to do anything at all within Premiere.  Every single mouse click on the Premiere interface results in the chime sound.

Can you export something from the source monitor rather than the program monitor?

By @Michael Grenadier

I feel foolish for being a certified Premiere Pro Professional and not knowing how to export from the source monitor.  How does one do that??  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm always learning stuff that I should know, so no shame in that.  That's where monitoring this forum on a regular basis is so valuable.   And since besides editing, I also provide support for other editors for a fee...

Just load a clip in the source monitor and go file: export: media...   

There have been problems reported over the last few years working with multiple monitors...  So should be easy to set up a custom workspace (within Premiere) that has no windows on the second monitor.  If possible, you might try disconnecting the second monitor and see if that mitigates the issue.  Yeah, I know it's not a longterm solution, but again, might be a useful troubleshooting step.  Also, might change the "primary" monitor in the windows display settings...  Can't remember how to do that in windows but it is possible.  Was working with a sculptor had some issues with a gaomon monitor connected to a windows laptop  who was zooming with a zbrush expert and we had to play with all sorts of display settings to calibrate the gaomon monitor properly...   

If you're persistent, we can figure this out.  This is not a commonly reported situation, so it's probably something in your system or your premiere installation.   You might also try installing the latest beta.   That doesn't erase your current installation... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how to report a bug

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Can anyone think about what causes a dialog to appear when trying to export.  Can't think of any case that happens no matter what I try and click on in the export page.

There are some basic troubleshooting steps that I can suggest...

Have you reset your Premiere preferences?

Can you try creating a new user with administrator privileges?  Always worth a shot and shouldn't take very long.

Do you have any peripherals connected except keyboard, mouse and monitor?  If so, try disconnecting them.

And I'd try uninstalling Premiere using this

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

and then reinstalling...

Just thinking... (coffee's kicking in), could this be an issue with autosave?  Might try disabling autosave (and manually saving on a regular basis (or disabling autosave before you try and export)

This is the kind of thing that makes me crazy so it's hard for me to let it go.  Gotta say, I've been working in Premiere intensively for about 6 years (after a lifetime of Avid and FCP1-7) and I've never encountered an issue that I could either eventually attribute to operator error, solve or figure out a workaround...  but there's a first time for everything...

If you'd rather live with this (after reporting a bug), just say so. Otherwise, I'll keep ruminating (not a cause of global warming as far as I know) and see if I can think of anything else.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gah, right!  File: Export: Media!  I forgot about that.  As the problem happens so infrequently, I would have to start a new workflow of loading completed sequences into the source monitor before exporting, and then just waiting to see if it cropped up again.  Not up for that, to tell you the truth!

The majority of my work is in workspaces that only use one of the monitors (I need the other monitor for displaying the information I need from the other programs I need running as I edit!), and I can say for certain that this has only ever happend while exporting from a one-screen workspace.

No peripherals other than mouse and keyboard.

Going to trash preferences and then just wait and see.  Fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've been having this problem occasionally too. Just had it now. I closed all my other programs (like you said) and it let me export the file without having to shut down Premiere. Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened again - first time since the one I posted about on Sept 29.  I've probably completed 15-20 successful exports since then, including ten earlier today before this behavior reappeared.  I've attached a video again showing what happens, along with the process of ending the task through task manager, as the only way to get past the error.

This time I also captured the fact that when this strangeness happens, if I click over to Encoder everything seems perfectly fine.  However, if I then try to click on the Premiere window to return to that app I get the chime.  I can only return to the Premiere window by clicking the icon in the taskbar.  But even when I do get back to the app I can't use it, as nothing is clickable and all I get is the chime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Matt,

Sorry about the issue. Have you tried resetting your preferences? Are you having this issue with particular projects? Perhaps the ones that were created on older versions of Premiere Pro? After resetting the preferences, could you go to Window > Workspaces and uncheck Import Workspace from Projects and let us know if that makes any difference?

Thanks,

Ishan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great suggestions Ishan...   That's why I love this forum...  You can never tell whether you're getting any eyes on your problem from Adobe employees, bug great when you do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ishan,

The issue has happened across at least three or four projects, but it is possible that all of these projects were created in older versions of PPro - I just can't quite remember. 

I will follow your suggestions re: wiping preferences and unchecking Import Workspace from Projects, and then report back to this thread if/when the issue crops up again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can also create a new project and then import the old project.  Will sometimes solve issues...    Intermittent problems are always difficult to work thru...  since you can make a change and then not see the problem reappear immediately...    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue as well, and my my colleagues get it randomly also.

It is random when it happens but when it does, its so annoying, The export window doesn't appear and I have to force quite my Premiere.

Have you had any good feed back? 
I've tried everything!

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bevedit,  if you wan to troubleshoot your problem, you'll need to give us some basic information:  Start by telling us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Local Disc 930 GBs available 523

Processor - AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor               3.79 GHz

​RAM - 64.0 GB

Premiere - 22.6.2 Build 2

Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

what's the graphics card?  Do you have multiple monitors attached?  

I know sometimes these questions seem pointless or redundant, but if we don't explore the basic stuff thoroughly, we can waste a great deal of time exploring complex issues when the problem is caused by something very simple.  And gotta admit, that I sometimes (if not often) don't ask a basic question...  so thanks for your patience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines