• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Realistic for a novice to make a "prototype" animated video?

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am a medical doctor with very little graphic design experience. I want to make an animated patient education/consent video but the cost of using professional services at this moment is not an option financially. In order to secure funding I want to make a prototype, test it, and then hopefully get the money!

The video itself will be 4 mins long and consist of 2D animation. The graphics will be illustrative rather than scientifically accurate.

I have creative cloud and a powerful iMac. I am working through some tutorials on adobe illustrator to create vectors for use in after effects,, which I will need to learn too...

My aim is to have a prototype ready by January, 2018, and I will be dedicating 2-3 evenings a week on this project. Am i being realistic here?

Any advice/mentorship is welcome..

BW

Rosh

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should probably ask for advice or help in the forums for the programs you are  using

Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Premiere Pro CC

KS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you propose is is possible. 

I assume that you will be using a voice-over as this will be easier than relying totally on informative graphics.  Can I suggest that before you start, you put down on paper exactly what you wish to see on the screen together with the voice-over  dialogue - preparation is key.

Set up a word processor document with either two columns on a page or alternatively a two column table.  In the left hand column write down a chronological list of images/animations of what you want to see and in the right hand column alongside each item in the list  the relevant dialogue.   Add spacing to keep the items aligned.

We speak in English at three words a second, so allowing for pauses and spaces in the dialogue, allow yourself a roughly 650 words for your 4 minute piece. Record an audio guide track of the dialogue (i.e. use your own voice and the microphone in your computer) and place this on the time-line. 

Adopt the same approach to building the image content as you would when face with eating an elephant - do it one small pieces at a time - build your graphics section by section and ensure that it corresponds to the dialogue.  Once your are happy, replace the audio guide with a higher quality voice-over recording.

For the novice I suggest that you work completely in Premier Pro - avoid After Effects as the learning curve is too steep and you won't have the time.  Cartoon type animation even in its most basic form, takes time and a certain amount of artistic skill to get right. 

I would suggest that you source suitable still background images from the Internet.  These images can be resized and moved with basic key-framed motion controls in the FX panel and then the relevant text can be animated over the images using the text motion controls in Essential Graphics..

Sticking to a simple format like this, you should be able to produce a reasonably professionally looking piece.

I hope this approach helps.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks GuyUk. Great advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines