Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rendering Hangs repeatedly when using GPU Acceleration

Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am finding Premiere Pro 2021 and 2022 and Media Encoder 2021 and 2022 consistenly unreliable when rendering, and can't seem to find a fix and can't seem to diagnose the problem.

The timeline freezes when rendering ProRes in Premiere, and also Media Encoder hangs when trying to export using GPU acceleration. I was using a Vega II MPX module AND A Radeon 6800 XT in my Mac Pro,  and found the machine seems to be slightly more reliable with just the Vega MPX in there, but still it hangs loads.

If I render small parts of the timeline (less than 250 frames) it seems to be more reliable, but whenever I try to render the entire timeline it eventually seems to find a frame it hangs on, and either goes into not responding, and I have to force quit, or it crashes itself. I'll save my Crash Reports and post them here if that will help.

I'm a professional editor and worked with FCP7 then Premiere, so I'm aware of most of the fixes - have trashed prefs, cleared cache, tried resetting to defaults, different export locations, rendering with different previews, all seem to be unreliable.

CC 2021 and CC 2022 seem to do the same thing, and the only way I can usually get my exports out is either rendering the timeline in chunks in APR 422 LT then encoding this as an MP4 for upload in Media Encoder, or using Mercury Playback Engine Software Only in Premiere or Media Encoder, which takes ages, taxes my CPU, and doesn't make the most of this bloody expensive machine I have!

I'm also editing on either a LaCie 12TB RAID 5 (RW 350mbps approx) or a 4TB RAID 0 Allegro PCIe with Samsung EVO SSDs (RW 7000mbps approx) and the problem persists working on both, and if I work off my desktop.

I imagine looking at Crash Reports in detail is going to help - will post some when I have them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - if any further information is needed please let me know

Cheers

Rob

_________

Here are my specs:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro7,1

Enclosure: Rack

Processor Name: 16-Core Intel Xeon W

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 16

L2 Cache (per Core): 1 MB

L3 Cache: 22 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 128 GB

System Firmware Version: 1715.81.2.0.0 (iBridge: 19.16.10744.0.0,0)

Serial Number (system): C02GC012N5RN

Hardware UUID: D8834343-9A19-5C38-A5EB-C109819C3276

Provisioning UDID: D8834343-9A19-5C38-A5EB-C109819C3276

Activation Lock Status: Enabled

AMD Radeon Pro Vega II:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 32 GB

Vendor: AMD (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x66a3

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-D160BW-465

VBIOS Version: 113-D163A1XT-047

Option ROM Version: 113-D163A1XT-047

EFI Driver Version: 01.01.186

Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 2

Displays:

LG UltraFine:

Resolution: 5120x2880 (5K/UHD+ - Ultra High Definition Plus)

UI Looks like: 2560 x 1440 @ 60.00Hz

Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Colour (ARGB2101010)

Display Serial Number: 008NTLE21184

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Connection Type: Thunderbolt/DisplayPort

LG UltraFine:

Display Serial Number: 006NTBKDK429

LG UltraFine:

Display Serial Number: 008NTXR21026

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Export , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't an engineer's haven, we're mostly other users on this forum. So crash reports aren't all that useful here. On their Premiere Pro UserVoice site, yes ... especially with complete context for hardware, media, and steps performed prior to the crash.

The one thing I'll jump in on ... Premiere can be wonky with two GPUs installed, especially if they're different from each other. It simply cannot use multiple GPUs. So disable/remove the lesser one, and that might solve your troubles.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil, I removed the Radeon 6800 XT, and found the reliablity improved a little, but still find it crashes when trying to render using my Vega II

I am on Big Sur and don't know if an OS update + Premiere 2022 could potentially help, but if that didn't work, backpeddling is a pain. Plus it's a Mac Pro with Big Sur and Premiere 2021 and an Apple Vega II MPX, it should work without a problem!

Thanks for your response.

Cheers

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping that Mac wiz and staffer @Kevin-Monahan  might have some ideas ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just edited 60 mins of 4K B Roll shot on A7S III with PR Proxies and it was rendering PR 422 LT files no problem, I imagine it would export without a problem too, but as soon as I'm trying to render a normal edit, with a mix of audio track, several different camera sources (usually FX9 / A7S III) and AFX Dynamic Links or Renders, potentially images, y'know, the normal kinds of things you have in edits, it inevitably seems to find a frame it hangs on, sometimes it seems to stall for a moment then render it, other times it will hang, other times it will actually crash me out - I don't feel like I'm asking the system or application to do anything it should or would have a problem with.

Cheers

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Robert. This problem sounds annoying. Have you ever reset Adobe folder permissions? That's my secret voodoo. I also am a big fan of completely erasing the HD before updating macOS. Did you do that for your Big Sur install? Were all projects closed when you deleted the media cache or was your current one open? Have you tested with brand new project files and with new sequences? How about the Beta? Have you given that a spin? 

Do hope to assist.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the response Kevin.

Interesting, I haven't heard about resetting folder permissions, I'll have a look.

The Mac Pro came with Big Sur installed on it, I actually upgraded to monterey to see if it fixed the issue, but it didn't seem to help, and it actually performed worse (this was whilst I still had the two GFX cards in the system) so I backpeddled to Big Sur, which did involve erasing the HD and using a bootable USB with Big Sur as Apple are so unkind to users that want to go back an OS!

Projects were most likely open when Media Cache was cleaned, but now that you mention it, I feel like projects that have been going for longer, and potentially came from previous versions of Premiere and my old MBP 16" system are more prone to crashing, will be interesting to see how my current project performs, as that was entirely on this system and version of Premiere.

I'm on holiday tomorrow until next Wednesday, so will be putting everything down, but I'll look at resetting folder permissions, importing the problematic projects into a brand new project, trashing prefs etc and see where I'm at.

Lastly - What's the Beta? Do you mean a latest release of Premiere?

Thanks very much for your help

All the best

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin

Hope you're well.

So I reset my folder permissions, and cleared the cache without a project open, and then imported my projects created in older versions of Premiere into a new PP Project, and it does render more reliably, not perfect, it does crash several times daily (which to be honest is pretty poor!) but it's much better than crashing every time I try to render something.

I have one other issue that is a constant pain for me, which I'd like you'r insight on. I use three LG monitors, all connected via USB C to the Vega II - I like to use one as a full screen monitor, with Playback > Video Device > and check Adobe Video Monitor and it gives me a full screen however, if I have this selected when launching a project, it beachballs and crashes every time.

This is annoying as if I do get a crash, and I have my screen full screen, my workaround is then to trash preferences on opening, resync my uploaded preferences without the full screen, and enable it again if I want to use it. Pretty annoying! I leave the full screen off a lot of the time because of this, and it frustrates me I need to go through this process if I do have a crash, or remember to uncheck it whenever I close a project.

If you'd me to post this in a separate thread as this one is already about GFX please let me know, and if you'd like further info from me please shout

All the best

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the "transmit out" set to a keyboard shortcut ... mine is Shift-C ... so I can turn it on/off at need.

I've found when I tab out of Premiere, even if it's minimized ... but left T-O on, that in a couple minutes that image blows up over all four of my monitors and is a pain to get Pr under control.

So ... maybe set a key-short, and simply toggle it on/off as you need it. Especially in your case, before exiting. That way you don't have to go through the Prefs dialog.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil, turning it on and off isn't the issue so much, I can CMD , to go into prefs and uncheck it in a couple of seconds, it's more than if the edit crashes when it's enabled I have to do what I described above to get the edit back on, which is a right pain! Was hoping for a fix.

Do you experience the same issue I described?

Cheers

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I can have it on at exit, relaunch without troubles.

It's just that whole thing of when I switch to another app with T-O enabled ... the way that image will a minute or two later expand to cover all four screens. Sometimes hitting escape toggles it off, my set key-short of Shift-C rarely helps ... and sometimes the tab key helps.

But at times, I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager and force close of Premiere.

Not enjoyable, you know?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh fantastic OK lemme check that out might be just what I've been after thanks Neil!

Will have to check it works during a crash 🙂

Cheers

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not the only one having issues. My issues are different (as seen in the video below) but a real problem none the less. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyFu9vhOuHI

This video demonstrates issues with Adobe's Mercury Playback Engine. Post a link of this video on Adobe's website if you are having the same problems. Let Adobe know they have serious issues with real time playback of certain video files. Premiere Pro used to work great. They should be able to fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy,

Understood, but are you exhibiting the same issues on your Mac? Check it out.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Mac Mini is a totally different setup. There is no dedicated GPU. I did take time to make a demonstration video of what is happening with my PC. I think it is important for the Adobe programmers to be aware of my problems. Have the programmers been able to replicate it? Adobe should have a room with several Mac and several PC as well as two techs trained to trouble shoot and look for bugs and make reports to the programmers. Are the computers at Adobe Labs having issues? In a few days I will probably wipe and reload Windows. I admit it might correct the issues I am having but the Adobe upgrades have not been going smooth for the last couple of years. That being said the programmers need to be aware that Premiere Pro has some issues on some systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The team members working on any one of these apps are all over the place. Premiere's "home" is the San Jose "mothership" campus, and they've quite a few people there, but there are also many others in variuos cities around the world.

AfterEffects is 'based' in the Seattle offices, but again, some of the staffers are all over the world.

And yes, like ... duh! ... they've got a ton of computers both PCs and Macs. Most of the engineers and supers I've talked with over the years are Mac people, but they all run PCs too. Everything is run through many of both types in-house around the world.

They have to, to run and test the code out. One issue with any subset of gear these days, is that there is so freaking much variability out "in the wild" that you could have 50 or even 100 different PCs, and still have a ton of PC issues for other users, that never bother one of your machines. Same for Macs, even though they have less variability.

Anything can affect stability/performance. From other apps loaded on the machine, to sound cards adding crud in, what people have operating at the same time as Premiere/Ae/Au/Whatever, OS updates that do unexpected things with only certain hardware/software combinations ... that stuff is freaky complex.

Which is why they changed to the public beta from the private ones they used to use. They wanted more people trying things prior to 'general release'.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

If the Programmers see what happened to my system it should inspire them to support BRAW. I admit their systems might work just fine with the BMD plugin but it is time to stop depending on 3rd party support for BRAW. We uses to have to install Quicktime for Pro Res support. As you can tell my system is having problems with Pro Res. Some people are having issues that are much different than mine. I cannot help but think Premiere Pro is a sinking ship. For me and many others it is time to take a life raft and paddle over to Resolve. I have to accept the simple fact Premiere Pro will never be a stable cutting edge software program like it once was. 

Keep in mind I used to be the one to tell people that their issues might be solved by wiping and reloading Windows. It has worked for me in the past but I should not have to wipe and reload Windows for every upgrade. The Adobe upgrades should be hassles free. For the past seven years I have had fears of upgrading Premiere Pro. I don't have the same fear when upgrading Resolve, Media Composer and FCPX. Keep in mind I am using the free version of Resolve and Media Composer. BMD nor Avid has made a dime of of me. That being said Adobe is draining my back account. 

I wish Kevin could responded by saying

"Andy as an Adobe Employee it breaks my heart to see a longtime user of Premiere Pro jump ship to the competition but now is not the time to jump ship. The CEO at Adobe is aware of the free offerings from the competition. At NAB 2022 Adobe we will be announcing a brand new pricing structure. Also at NAB Adobe will be announcing full support for BRAW.  We also admit Premiere Pro should have cutting edge features. As of June 1st Premiere Pro's Nvenc and Quick Sync support will be way a head of an other NLE . There is so much more in the works Andy but I am not allowed to talk about them at this point in time". 

I must accept reality. That type of response from Kevin is not going to happen. Like many other people on these forums I have to ask myself why I am still using Premiere Pro? Is the GUI of Premiere Pro so much better than the competition that I will stay with Premiere Pro for ever? In 2022 I don't want excuses anymore. I want results that justify a monthly payment. Will there be a major announcement from Adobe at NAB. I doubt it but I hope there is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are all simply tools. Fancy hammers. Use what works for you, on your gear with your media and deliverable needs. If you're one who finds the Resolve UI fine, go for it. Many do.

And I can't think of a company that ever did good by competing with somebody else's loss leader ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines