• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

rendering with captions insanely slow (Premiere Pro 14.9, and earlier)

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time working with captions in Premiere, and it's not going well. Added captions to a simple 45 second video, ProRes 422 HQ, and they are each taking upwards of ten minutes to render in the timeline. If I don't render them in the timeline, I can't playback at all.

Running on a fully maxed out iMac Pro w/Mojave. 

Please help, thank you.

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jeftaylor,

Sorry to hear that you are facing issues with rendering. Please check if Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration is set as Renderer.

FAQ: How to change the Video Renderer in Premiere Pro?

Let us know, we’re here to help.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. My GPU Acceleration is set to Metal, I'm not sure how to set it to "renderer" – it is the renderer.

I also can't seem to export the video with the captions – when I export, the captions don't appear on the exported video. This makes the entire captions feature useless.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of captions? Closed, open? Are you trying to burn in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open captions, and yes – trying to burn in. In one sequence I can't even get them to display correctly – the formatting is all over the map.

I've tried deleting render files, re-importing subtitle file, deleting cache files.... nothing works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re the export, there is a known issue with AME not burning in open captions (or closed) if the AME preference for "import natively" is not checked. A test for that issue is to export directly from PR instead of queuing to AME. If you try setting AME to "import natively," you must set it BEFORE queuing.

The slow render is not an issue I have heard. Test this by creating a new open caption stream in PR with only a few captions.

How many captions in the file you are importing. What type of file, srt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an .srt, and it's a 45 second video so there aren't that many captions at all.

Frankly, the slow rendering isn't really the problem at this point – the inability of premiere to display the subtitles properly, or update the subtitles if I change their formatting, is the main problem. I have a deadline and I need to get these exported.

I assume you've heard of issues like this, because they're all over this forum. I also hope you have a solution.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, they can be a problem.

I am not having an issue formatting all captions in recent versions of PR. What specific dot version are you running?

The "captions don't update in the program monitor" etc is a big pain. I'll look for a link to a post with the various workarounds when I am home later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no single workaround, but a group to try:

Re: Can't edit caption style

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the most recent version of PP, and none of the workarounds work.

I don't understand why they have a feature that has so many issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Editing Captions with the captions dialogue itself is slow, let alone rendering. It uses 800% of my CPU to edit text with Premiere Pro 14.0.0, build 572.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines