• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Serious Performance Issues with Premiere Pro (14.0)

Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I'm finally reaching out to this community as surely someone else must experience similar performance issues as me with Premiere? I don't want to give up on Adobe, but it has just came to a point where their products are complely unusable.

Long story short, premiere struggles BIG time with even displaying a fluid timeline, with no effects, scaling - NOTHING applied.

The crazy part is that I just tried a AMD 5700 XT card instead of my GTX 1070 - and it's no difference at all.. 

CPU 100% and GPU 0%
My spec

• i7 @ 3.8ghz
  • 32 GB DD4 Ram
  • SSD 
  • Nvidia 1070 (tried AMD XT 5700)

I also tried wiping windows 10, fresh install with only Premiere installed

Anyone has any ideas?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just read your posts, I'm 100% sure now that it's related to PP and not hardware or OS - I run Windows and you run OSX.. Exactly same issue..!

I tried downgrading to 2019 PP, but actually have exact same issue there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am wondering if you have Hardware Accelerated Decoding available in Preferences > Media. You should be running your iGPU with any playback of H.264/HEVC footage, not the discrete GPU. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, I appreciate you attempting to troubleshoot this but we've all been saying the same thing. It's not a codec issue, it's not a iGPU or eGPU issue..... I've told you I'm using multiple machines using different versions of Mac OS. Some machines have eGPU's and some don't. My entire office is experiencing these issues. PP2019 has ZERO problems on our machines..... yet PP2020 has the same issue on EVERY machine regardless of specs or codec or footage. 

Whether it be ProRes or H.264 encoded MOV's or MP4's is irrelevant....PP has never had any issues with footage. This stutter which i have sent through multiple examples of is not improving no matter what quality playback i change it to. Clearly this is a bug. Any other footage that could be limited in playback due to codec or hardware can have the issue rectified by playing back at a lower quality. Everyone would agree that this works every time. Yet this footage stutters the same way at Full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16. Plus, the stutter is not after x amount of frames like it would usually be due to hardware and/or codec. It happens immediately as playback commences and does not change.

I beg you to please stop sending similar troubleshooting messages to us, we've been discussing this since December. Apparently back then one user was told Adobe was aware of the problem and it would be addressed in the last update. We all updated and the problem was not solved.

We all appreciate your help and thank you for being an active participant in this thread (as you are the first person from Adobe to do so).

Looking forward to a fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nath, you hit the nail right on the head. What you said is spot on, adobe needs to get their stuff together. I'm experiencing the same issue. The issue has been ongoing ever since the 2020 update, instead of actually acknowledging the problem and fixing it, they try and give boogus advice that don't work. Smh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep - here I am in October, almost a full year since PP2020 arrived, and we're still experiencing the same issues. Clearly Adobe has neither the will or understanding to address this issue. My entire company is looking into alternatives to Premiere as it's clear we'll never be able to update beyond 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They've recently released the ability to accelerate not only H.264 but also several other formats, so playback for many users in the last version is somewhat to dramatically improved.

This is of course very dependent on the gear involved however. As @RjL190365 oft posts, the difference in the ability of variuos CPUs to do accelerated work with a GPU is neither intuitive nor small.

So yes, there have been improvements for many users. Depending on your gear, you might not be on a system that can use the new code. Not a great thing if so, would be aggraviting.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read you solved your issue by changing monitor settings. Cool!

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post (by Nath_1984) is 100% dead on. 2020 (when it even wants to work with P2 media) is choppy, laggy, and quite honestly a huge dud (and it translates across to Media Encoder too) It is simply unworkable in any sort of professional setting. I typically view a lot of "complaint" posts with a dose of skeptacism, but this time, unfortuneatly, Adobe had earned the scorn. 2020 is simply awful. Something was broken in the name of streamlining. 2019 never left my machine (thankfully) and I can still do daily news with it. At this point I may never install 2020 and write it off as a lost cause unless Adobe can address these issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nath's issue turned out to be wrong settings for his monitor. Have you solved your issue yet? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of which makes me wonder why _anyone_ is using PP2020 ... it sounds like a nightmare ... my pp2019 (13.1.5) installation on Mojave seems relatively stable <crossed fingers> for now ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My system runs fine. As long as you maintain your system, it should be OK. These are edge cases. Plus, you can run 13.1 and 14.2 side by side.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thom,

Premiere Pro has many thousands of users. Even for most of the "major" bugs, they don't always affect everyone. So most users are doing fine. Which is great for them.

For those who are getting buggy/unstable behavior, yea, it can range from an annoyance to a nightmare. And it's the same for any of the major NLE software. I know shops that never ever used a single 15.x version or Resolve as in their shop, on their machines, none were stable. They have mostly moved to a 16.x version now, but not all have. I never had an issue on my rig with R15.x.

It's thankfully a lot easier to test new versions of Premiere than Resolve. As you can have multiple versions of Premiere installed at the same time. You can quickly, easily, and safely test your work in a new version. If it works, great, but if not ... don't update that project yet.

And of course, you can start new projects and work them in the newer version while still working projects in the old version.

With Premiere, the biggest problems with 'updating' come from two things. First, not using the safest way to migrate project forward, and second, not clearing the cache for any project brought forward.

"Don't ever update a project file" is sound advice but in reality, it ain't always workable. So ... to test whether a project can upgrade successfully to a new version ...

• Install the new verision (and don't uninstall/remove the prior version!)
  • Create a new project file in the new version.
  • From that project file in the new version, navigate to and select the old version project file.
  • Import/ingest that project file's contents into the new version.
  • Test the operation of that new project.

This is by far the safest way to update a project. It leaves the original project file untouched, the version of Premiere it was worked in still on the machine, and at the same time does a vastly more reliable job of getting all the metadata of the previous project file properly ensconced in the new version.

The last bit is crucial ... as simply "opening" an old project file in a new version and allowing Premiere to "update" it often doesn't work well. So many of us recommend to never update a project file. As above, create a new project file and import the old one's contents. Different process, and frequently a very different result.

Either way you migrate a project forward, always completely delete everything in the cache files for Premiere before beginning work in it in the new version. The cache/media cache database files will be rebuilt as needed, but carrying forward things there can cause issues.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil, I  and im sure many others respect Adobe staff as they try to offer and recommend trouble shooting tips to help with an issue. But as im sure you can understand how frustrating it is for us users that are widely reporting the same issue, and have confirmed and triple confirmed the issue, and even myself who has been on literally countless hours on the phone and  doing screen shares with Adobe tech support about this PPCC2020 choppy/ playback performance issue, then for adobe to still offer the same troubleshooting attempts that do not work. Just like myself and so many users have been reporting, the same clip, same settings, same everything works perfectly in PPCC2019, but does not work in PPCC2020. 

So my question is what are we to do?  It has been months already and after a couple of updates still no fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the replies are valid advice, if not always the complete truth. This stuttering and instability are, in general, caused by someone who is trying to support both outdated and modern hardware, and is also trying to support both legacy and newer codecs - all at once. And as it turns out, one can't have everything.

And just to let you know, there is absolutely NO Windows-compatible version at all whatsoever of Final Cut. That program is MacOS only, and will thus require a Mac just to even use at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm posting this to hopefully show everyone that is coming back with speed/hardware/codec feedback to see the actual issues we're dealing with...

https://we.tl/t-0Cicg5QqeI

I've included 1 sample clip. The type of clip is irreleveant as all clips arent' working.... however i've created a PP2019 project and a PP2020 project. The 2019 project runs perfectly while the Timeline monitor in the 2020 project is the one having issues.

I've also included another screen capture showing you the 2019 project working (both source and timeline) and the 2020 (source working, timeline stuttering).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is the issue fixed? I see most of these replies are from late February(ish), we are now on PPv14.2.

I downloaded the project and I only have the one installation 14.2 and both projects play fine. I can't see the issue.

I hope if was fixed for you guys and it's working OK now. I have an earlier 2020 version on my tester and will fire that up and see how it runs on there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, just fired up my tester, it has 14.04 installed. Same results, plays fine. No dropped frames, though I could get 2 dropped frames out of it if it switch in the middle of playback to a full screen with ~. I added the clip to it two more times and added a lumetri effect to the middle one and all three in a row still played back as it should without stutter or dropped frames. That's one reason why it's so hard to diagnose.

6850k (at 4.4ghz)

1070 gtx

64gb

all files running from boot nvme (tester all files run from standard ssd)

lots of optimiations +- 95 processes a few minutes after boot.

tester with14.04 not as optimized

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After closely following Neil's advice which entailed rebuilding some of my templates I use on a daily basis I finally got CC2020 stable for the most part. The only "glitch" left is when I go to export it literally hangs for 20-30 seconds, then finally catches up. It only does this on my work-issued laptop (HP Z Series) and not my personal machine at home. My thought at this point is that it is more a Windows issue rather than an Adobe issue. The laptop is heavily locked down and administrated from either New York or Los Angeles, I'm not sure which coast deals with us in Minnesota, but it seems like we are always 2 or 3 updates behind in the Windows world, and nothing we can do about it until our IT department decides everything is kosher to roll out to the masses. It is finally updating Windows it looks like, so maybe that will solve my last glitch with CC2020. I would mark Neil's response that has the different steps listed as more correct, personally, but that isn't up to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Nath? Yes. It had to do with LG monitor settings, not Premiere Pro.

We have not heard back from Tobiq, so we can only assume it's fixed for that editor too. Not everyone updates their posts, unfortunately. 

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Azzie,

Yea, that is a pain. Big one. Of course, neither I nor anyone else just seeing a post from someone can know the history of the contacts they've had about it with staffers ... or even if they have. So we start from basic troubleshooting 101.

I've heard a comment that the only thing worse than Adobe's tech support is their manuals. Can't disagree. Product Support manager Kevin Monahan always tells people to ask for the Video Que as soon as you get to a live body whether on chat or phone support, as otherwise, you get the generalists ... been there done that. Someone just going down a prepared sheet is a bit different from someone with some actual knowledge of the specific program.

And I've often wondered how much communication there is between tech support and the development teams. I know product support for the video apps (Kevin) is in pretty constant contact with the teams, but ... dunno about the tech support staff.

At Adobe MAX, I and a number of the other ACPs got to visit with Patrick Palmer (head of Adobe video apps), a couple engineers, and Ivo ... who Patrick brought in last summer to re-build the Premiere team to work better and faster at bug/stability prevention, testing, and fixing. Ivo was pleased with the massive list of bugs they'd knocked off already, some going back several versions. The engineers were thrilled with the new system and methods as they were knocking stuff out left and right that used to take a lot more time.

And ... Ivo also made it clear, they've a long, long list yet to go through. With most of the easier to diagnose ones already handled. There are several issues they have to deal with to get through the rest of the bug/stability problems and you're probably very aware of all of them. First, some of the code is rather antiquated, some new, and ... that doesn't always work so well together. Second ... some of the code is old enough no one really remembers the details as it was hashed through. So sorting out that stuff ... what does it specifically do, and how? ... even just to replace it ... is a right royal pain. But they're going after the old stuff.

Which leads right to another issue. They've a lot of ancient effects that some section of the user base is still using. But it's ancient code, effects used by a small percentage of the user base, and ... it seems ridiculous to rebuild that section when there's already newer and (for the vast majority of users) better tools to do that with. So they're slowly going through and ... some will get rebuilt. Some ... will simply get dumped. They have to modernize that code. (And yea, that's gonna tick off some users.)

And Premiere works on the widest base of gear, media, and workflows out there. Which is another issue. Adobe has a fair number of computers of both major persuasions in-house, and they've got a beta program of unspecified numbers which they do use. But ... that's still only a very, very small subset of the full range of gear, media, and workflows that are used with the app. So, many of the bugs and stability issues hitting users they simply can't replicate in-house.

And for those, they need the most detailed reports filed on the UserVoice system as possible. Those reports are read by an engineer ... every one. One of those guys was also there at the discussion. His biggest problem? Way too many UserVoice reports are simply "X ain't working fix it" sort of reports. Pretty useless other than for the metadata that X is having a problem. But nothing he can even try to sort out for troubleshooting purposes.

He did remember a couple of mine. It probably won't shock you that my bug reports are rather detailed. But he said, those were very useful ... he could know exactly what I was doing, on what gear, and ... what went bonzo. Because there's so many things that are just nuts about this software on gear mess ... like a couple versions back, all of a sudden a decent chunk of users were having about four different issues. It got sorted that this subset was mostly on Windows. But it was driving the engineers nuts. They couldn't replicate and they couldn't see any commonality that would typically lead to the problems. Especially ... all four (or whatever number it was) very different issues at once.

Finally, a user posted on here that he'd sat down and one by one removed every running app from his machine, rebooted and launched Premiere ... no change. Then went through removing related files by those apps, incuding DLLs. You know how many freaking files that is, remove one, reboot, test? Sheesh, that guy was dedicated.

When he removed the Microsoft dll for their OneDrive applet/system, voila, Premiere suddenly worked like a charm. Replaced the onedrive.dll file, dog ... remove, run like a champ. So he posted here, several others with that subset of issues tested and voila! ... they were working again. So we ACPs were posting to everyone with about any issue, try removing that onedrive.dll file. It was amazing how many users got better performance.

And the engineers were then able to figure out what the interference between onedrive.dll and Premeire was. But ... I'm still curious about that one. I'm on PC, and had none of those issues. With onedrive.dll on my machine, it wasn't a problem, while on many others, it was a major pain. Crazy.

So ... please ... post your troubles in detail on the UserVoice system so the engineers get them directly. (This forum is primarily user-to-user, not a 'tech support' system.) And even better, come back here and post a basic explanation of the troubles you are having and a link to the UserVoice post you made so anyone else can go over there and upvote.

That would accomplish two very worthwhile things ... first, the engineers get better data (and they do occasionally get back to people posting good reports asking for further comments) ... and second ... all UserVoice reports are collated and delivered to the upper managers who decide budgets. Those folk live by metrics. Give them some metrics.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on windows, and after 2 hours of ppro2020 I agree performance is way down on 2019.  Clips that played back fine in 2019 are unwatchable in 2020.  

Thankfully adobe updates so little between releases these days that using 2019 for another 6 months wont be a particular hardship. lack of progress FTW! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

Sorry for the performance woes. I had a little trouble myself with this underpowered machine I have here. I was able to solve most issues by dumping media cache and unchecking a number of options in the Program Monitor's "Settings" (Wrench/Spanner) menu. Can you check that?

Cheers,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to see it's not only me. - Has anyone tried to go back to PP2019 on OSX 10.15.5, will that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

be careful rolling back. Back up your prefs first. On windows when rolling back adobe does a clean install and deletes your prefs.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

We're mostly on OSX

Tried to go back to 2019 versions (after uninstalling 2020 version). Didn't help.

Stuck with proxies until we switch to another solution, or Adobe fixes this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines