• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow import of assets containing closed captioning

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to import (link) a 90 minute plus asset using Premiere Pro v. 15.4.2 for on-air versioning.  I have two Full HD OP1a .mxf assets that are identical, except one contains Closed Captioning on line 18 and the other does not..

The asset without CC is acquired in less than a minute and the version containing CC requires more than 10 minutes to accomplish the same task. It makes no difference if Preferences > Media > Include Captions on import option is checked or unchecked. The outcome is the same when CC is present..

The additional time is affecting workflows... please advise.
Thank you

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Import , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Has there been a fix for the slow import of an XDCAM 50 MXF Op1a file with embedded EIA-607/708 captions into Adobe Premiere 2024? This issue renders Adobe Premiere almost useless. This issue apparently dates back many years and seems to still be happenening . I know I can "disable import of CC" however I need the captions. Thanks all for any feedback.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think at least one other user reported that turning "include captions" off did not change this behavior.

I'd file a bug report:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

But turning it off would be the same as importing the version without the caption, right?

Is the captioned version importing correctly?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The closed captioning is passed correctly, intact and is exportable.

Seeing that assets of extended duration that DO NOT contain closed captioning are aquired in a more reasonable amount of time (less than 1 minute), I feel the problem is a result of attempting to import (link to) those assets of extended duration that do contain closed captioning, whether or not cc is being stripped on import. To be clear - engaging or disengaging the "Preferences > Media > Include Captions on import" option has no effect on the duration of import - which requires at least 10x more time.

I have been unable to find a buried menu that could address this issue and will file a bug report. Thank you for the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it is an issue of "linking," but that may be a matter of semantics. Captions are encoded in the Project File, as hex code. a) It should be possible to turn off import of the captions. But if you need them in the project, you wouldn't have them without importing them separately. b) It should not take that much longer no matter the mechanism.

Post a link to your bug report so it can be upvoted.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, embedded metadata such as closed captioning is a reality and its presence appears to be exponentially slowing down the import of the asset whether or not the option to import the its embedded closed captioning is chosen or not.

Seeing that here in Canada the broadcast of closed captioning is mandated by the CRTC, format editors must use the cc or flag it to be added to the programming. I have never witnessed work flow being impacted by closed captioning's presence, so it has me scratching my head. This issue must be a bug or there is a undocumented setting that must be addressed...

Here is the link to the report...

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/44497326-very-slow-import-o...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I'll try to test with something long, but my test with a 6 minute sample imports too fast to show anything. I used exports from PR with no captions, embed 608, and embed 608 and 708.

What is your source and what type of captions?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help Stan.

In Toronto shows are formatted using Avid Media Composer and EDIUS but the specifications should be same throughout the network. Montreal started using Premiere Pro a few weeks ago using Avid NEXIS for media and Project storage. I have personally used NEXIS with After Effects obtaining excellent results in Full HD projects, UHD, 8K and higher.

The files in question should be compressed to an minimum XDCAMHD (1920 x 1080), CBR file @ 50Mbps, Long GOP, 4: 2: 2 Profile, High Level with a frame rate of 59.94 and is contained in a MXF (OP1a) wrapper.

Closed captioned is EIA-708B and compliant with EIA-608B. The Closed Captioning is embedded in the digital video signal (VANC) as per SMPTE334M-1:2007. The captions shall be of EIA-708 data and backward
compatible in EIA-608 mode.

I will email the editors in Montreal to confirm.

Cheers,
mfl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Has there been a fix for the slow import of an XDCAM 50 MXF Op1a file with embedded EIA-607/708 captions into Adobe Premiere 2024? This issue renders Adobe Premiere almost useless. This issue apparently dates back many years and seems to still be happenening . I know I can "disable import of CC" however I need the captions. Thanks all for any feedback.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines