• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow Motion 75% in 50fps footage still has duplicate frames?!

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,
so I've gone through various threads to understand how Premiere handles slomo but I can't solve my problem:

I have 50fps footage. I pull it onto a 25fps timeline, Premiere drops half the frames and displays it running at real time as if it had 25fps, so far so good. Then I stretch the clip to 75% playback speed, which considering the 50fps source material, means that some frames will be dropped. BUT it shouldn't mean there suddenly are duplicate frames. Yet there they are, right in there, those nasty buggers.

Is there a way for me to prevent that? Do I need to import from a 50fps timeline? So confused. Thanks guys!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't, but the thing is, since there are more frames in my source material (50fps) than I would need to play out (37,5 fps), I shouldn't need frame interpolation anyway. That's why I'm so confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

off the top of my head, it seems you wouldn't get better than 50% as that would be maxed at 1:1 before premiere started creating duplicates again to fill in the last 25% of "missing data" to slow down. you can either:

1. 50% speed

2. frame mix

3. pixel mix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, but that doesn't make sense to me. 75% is faster than 50%. If I went to 50% I would use all of my 50fps. But I'm only going to 75%, so it should actually drop some frames, not duplicate them. Let alone interpolate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is source footage definitely 50p and not 50i?

I wish I was at home right now, because I'm working on a project with 60p clips in 30p sequence with lots of 50% slow motion, which looks perfect...I want to try 75% and see if I have the issue you describe because you are correct, doesn't seem like there should be duplicated frames.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried putting your original 50p clip on a 50p sequence and then slowing down to 75% just to see how it looks.  If that's acceptable, you could render the timeline out at 25p and re-import into you working project.  also, if the clip plays as you want it, rather than render out, you may be able to nest the sequence into your working project.  Not sure how well that would work though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Jeff,

yeah it's most definitely 50p. So weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines