• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Software as a Service has broken adobe products

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since adobe switched to a subscription model, the quality of each release has gotten significantly worse and worse.  CC18 is a disaster.  I work inside Premiere every day in a small creative office, along with 3 other editors.  Each day we navigate whatever awful new bug has found its way into the newest update.  Scrubbing tool broken?  Yes.  Audio issues during export?  Yes.  Work spaces broken?  Yes.  Try opening up a bin - does it open so that the tool bar populates off screen and can't be moved?  Sure it does!  Finding any meaningful response from adobe on this website addressing any of these serious issues?  Absolutely not.  Keep in mind, each of these issues were total non-issues when I was using Final Cut 7 in 2009.  Our company pays close to $4000 a year to use this "professional" software, and what we get are constant headaches and a huge amount of software we never intend to use - but guess what, it's all included to help justify an astronomically expensive subscription price, so we get to eat the cost.  Even if your software wasn't broken - which it is - why in the world should anyone have to have 4 different versions of the same project just to keep up with adobe's constant (and broken) iterations???

I was totally grossed out by Final Cut X when it was initially released but, I swear, if adobe doesn't get their act together I'm going to be switching back.  This is, without question, one of the most disappointing experiences I've ever had with software and the company that provides it.  The one thing adobe is proving - who cares about quality products when you have your hooks in people's wallets.

FYI, I'm on a 2017 iMac, running 10.12.6  All my other apps fly.  Adobe breaks.  At this point, it's what I expect.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry that you're having issues.  I confronted that issue when Newtek ended the Video Toaster years ago.

"subscription model"  aka:  constant upgrades, runs counter to a field of work that depends heavily on reliability.   Ask any salt of this fact and staying with what works until it runs into the ground is the only solution.

That said, I'm using 2018 on a Win 7 machine without issue.  However, I use native formats with MXF, wav and PSD/Tiff throughout.  I also stick to templates and avoid dynamic linking.  Treating AE and AU files as separate projects. That is, it's not just software, it's a system approach.  I dumped Mac's over 15 years ago and only use Precision's, (they're not cheap.  My first cost $4500 and my recent hit me up for $10,500).  From all the posts I've read, it seems the Mac side of things is suffering as of late.

Folks argue up, down and sideways with me.  I didn't invent any new wheels.  I found what works and refuse to budge.  I do not uninstall old versions and carefully test new ones.  I can easily edit a 2014 version project alongside a newly created 2018.  Again, this is a systems approach.  The software is only part of the equation.  Adobe can't fix it for you, it's impossible to meet the specs for the sea of configurations out there.  Find one that works and duplicate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"subscription model"  aka:  constant upgrades, runs counter to a field of work that depends heavily on reliability.   Ask any salt of this fact and staying with what works until it runs into the ground is the only solution.

I agree with this completely.

We're stuck with Mac in our office as it stands now, and it does sound like High Sierra is experiencing the bulk of the most recent issues.  I stay away from Dynamic Link like the plague, I've never had a good experience with it.  Compartmentalizing projects has been my workflow, too, and it helps subvert some issues.  That said, with each update, I find more and more issues lurking inside individual applications.

It's difficult for us as a company to stay inside a software bubble because we often swap projects with other agencies or freelancers.  Keeping up-to-date (used to be) the easiest way to be sure everyone could open the same project without compatibility issues.

I appreciate your advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really annoyed that two years after this was posted the same problemd persist. Adobe's quality control is so bad now that I'm genuinely unable to rely on it... when I've got a deadline I feel so much extra stress because I spent probably 20% of my day troubleshooting. There really is always something. I think 2020 might be the worst release. 

I'm not so much annoyed by the subscription model as I am with the way Adobe chase that cash - they seem to think that they have to have a major release every year or people won't subscribe, so they rush out each release, maybe with some PR friendly "cool" new feature that inevitably doesn't work or get used (content aware fill in AE? No editor/compositor I know uses that), but bugs and feature requests that have persisted for 6-7 years are still there! It's a ridiculous, broken model. You can't even stay on a stable release because there isn't one... just the same broken product each time. Not to mention that an annual update cycle causes all sorts of problems with compatibility of third party plugins. Right now I have a dual boot system with one boot just frozen in time where I know my £5k worth of plugins still work... the boot I use for video is a mess, what with Apple and Adobe's annual update cycle. The office I work in has to juggle different versions because there's always some problem. I'd be more than happy with a 3 year major release cycle and they release bug fixes. I'd still pay! Right now I want to cancel CC and move it all over to Resolve. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the problem:

Relatively speaking, it costs Adobe more money to develop even simple features into its software (relative to other software companies). If they had concentrated solely on stability, we would not have even 1080p60 support (nor any higher-resolution video support) at all in Premiere Pro, nor would we have any proper support for anything that's newer than 15 years old. And that's not to mention that we would not have any support at all whatsoever for any of the increasingly-popular smartphone video formats/codecs.

Stability is one thing. But if stability makes an editing software renders as sluggishly as or even more sluggish on a modern multicore PC than it does on even a cheapo single-core/single-thread CPU-based PC that's 15 years old, then nobody would want to buy that piece of software at all, even if it were totally free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I find it fascinating that people still talk about "Adobe" constantly rushing out with tons of new features. Look back at the last couple full cycles ... for Premiere there's been really auto-reframe and the Productions workflow changes. That's about it.

The current head of the video apps brought in a guy a year back to restructure their teams for incorporating bug-identification and stability/performance work earlier in the development process. And basically put most "new feature!" development on hold until they got the program working better. Patrick Palmer brought Ivo and a few engineers to Adobe MAX last year to talk with the ACPs that were there.

From that discussion ... Premiere had a ton of bad and ancient code, along with its legendary history of bugs that had survived through cycle after cycle. The first task was sorting out what to simply junk, what to replace. A LOT of older gear got support removed simply to get rid of bad/ancient code and streamline work moving forward. After that, they went after the long-term bugs and killed most of them.

Next was sorting through some of the stability issues and prioritizing fixes. Some old low-use format/codecs got dumped again to simplify moving forward and lower the amount of time spent bringing ancient low-use stuff up to modern use. Some formats got their support coding completely rebuilt. And other changes.

From that there were two results: 1) the number of bug/stability issues plaguing users was down dramatically across the majority of the user base and 2) those that were left were dang difficult to get after, as they are primarily things that neither their in-house computers nor the further "supply" of computers in their beta program could replicate. In other words, a vastly more difficult group of things to fix. What you can't replicate, you can't fix.

So ... they've instituted a "public beta" program to get the development apps out to more people to check for bugs/performance things. This is through the Creative Cloud app, which for many users now has a "Beta Apps" tab along the left side. Ivo is expecting they'll get a lot more things handled this way, working with a wider array of comptuers/gear/media/workflow.

And finally ... one of the engineers there was one of the ones that read every flipping UserVoice  post filed. His biggest complaint? Way too many posts there have nowhere near enough information for them to do anything. "X is broke. Fix it!" doesn't help you at all when X ain't broke on any system you have access to.

He wants data with all UV posts ... the gear in detail, media, storage, OS, effects, any plugins, and what you were doing when something unwanted or unexepected happened. Then they can see where to start looking, and what to even ask for among other users with perhaps similar issues. So for any issues, yes, PLEASE go to that link I gave and give them full details on what's bugging you. Also ... that stuff is collated and sent to the upper managers who determine budgets for engineers and such. Thos people live by metrics, so ... give them some metrics!

As I'm a contributing author on a colorist's teaching site, I spend a lot of time dealing with Resolve btw ... and the people based in that app can give you a LONG list of the issues they're having. As can the Avid users. Ain't none of them perfect, but their imperfections are all different. In the end, they're all just tools. Use the tool what works for you, whichever one it is, or whichever combination it is.

You got clients that need their work before they pay your bills. Take care of the nice clients.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines