Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sony A7S XML workflow trouble going to Resolve

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2014 Nov 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

Since upgrading to CC 2014 I have had a lot of trouble getting Sony A7S media to grade in Resolve.

I have no tricky workflows - I merely edit the XAVC-S natively on PP, then clean up the track and FCP XML it to Resolve. It has worked before and is still working just fine with just about any media - Alexa, RED, etc. This is even after updating to 2014.1.

Recenty, I have not been able to get any sequences into Resolve that have A7S media. Resolve cannot locate any media used in the timeline and says "timecode extents do not match". I inspected the XML and it seems that no REEL information is provided in the XML. An XML that has QTs from Alexa has reel numbers, although I don't think this is the issue. Force conforming the clips also does not work, because the IN/OUTs do not match my timeline. I have tried different project settings in Resolve, but to luck. 

The only workaround was to use the Project Manager to archive and transcode the project media into something else, open it, then create a new XML from the new project and then into Resolve. That worked, but it's a serious hassle.

So - what is wrong with XAVC-S originating from the Sony A7S? Why won't it XML properly? It worked just fine with CS6, also with CC - but the workflow failed after the CC 2014 version.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May you should try to export a single Clip out of PR.
Something with high bitrate DNxHD / MOV Animation Setting / DPX Sequence / TIFF Sequence and so on ..

-------

For 4K Export

-------

4K Export doesn´t work for DNxHD in PR. If you are on a MAC you should your use 4KProRes.
On Windows I would use 16bit TIFF or DPX Files and a SSD RAiD/HBA.

If you have slow HDDs and Windows I would try MXF OP1a > XAVC Intra 4K Class300 4096x2160.
But Performance is really bad in Resolve on 4K XAVC.
------

Reimport that Clip in your PR Timeline (into an new Track) and use Shortcuts to redo every Edit to your new exported Single Clip.

Select your Clip > Arrow down to jump to the next Edit and Strg + K for cut. Go fast

After you have done all cuts. Duplicate your Timeline > rename it > open it and delete all the "old" footage Clips.

Export your XML and import it into Resolve.

If you use transitions you have to delete it manually and re-add it after re-import.
After deleting the transition add some handles an export every file desperately. You Know.

Give it a try
Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff ; I'll try this.

Or maybe without re-cutting the clip; i'll try to use the scene cut detection into resolve

I really hope that this timecode issu will be resolved soon, i work evey day on a7s footages and this thing drives me crazy !

I also do not really know which dnxhd preset to use .. i used to work with prores on my old mac. do you think dnx 185x 1080p25 is a good preset ?

And do i lost quality when transcoding in dnx hd ?

Thank you very much

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes ... If you have 10bit 4:2:2 footage 185x 1080p25 is a good setting ...

If it is only 8bit you can use 185 1080p25 (without x) ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes i have both bitrates in my timeline.. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2015 Nov 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a same issue today hope resolve or premiere can give a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been driving me nuts for 2 weeks but i've discovered a good workaround.

Unless you're set on working in Sonys native .MP4 codec I would strongly recommend transcoding your footage to Pro Res with a program such as:

http://www.aiseesoft.com/hd-converter-for-mac.html

Once you've completed your edit in Premiere, export an XML as normal and then import it into DaVinci (tested with Resolve 12).

Due to the files now being ProRes, DaVinci has no problem sourcing the clips and they even playback better because the program is more compatible with Pro Res anyway.

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually , the XAVC S codec it shoots in wraps its files into MP4s. These files are extremely difficult to import into all my major film editing software, like Davinci Resolve. According to our experience and other user's feedback, to make your Sony Alpha a7S XAVC-S work well in Davinci Resolve, it’s highly recommended converting a7S XAVC-S clips to DNxHD.mov for Davinci Resolve editing use.

Enable XAVC S files from Sony A7S work with Davinci Resolve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines