Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spinning ball for a minute at a time throughout editing

Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Throughout the edit process I keep getting Macs spinning colour ball. This goes on for around a minute at 

a time and is happening every few minutes. It's triggered by simple tasks such as clicking on a clip, clicking on motion or clicking on essential sound. I've not had this issue before and it's happening on all projects. It's being going on for around two weeks. 
I'm using macOS Monterey version 12.6.2 

premiere pro version 23.1.0 

I've tried trashing preferences, reinstalling premiere and trashing preferences but to no avail. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a number of tight deadlines and this is making everything take an age. 
Thanks 

Ian 

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ian,

Welcome to the community! I am Kevin, one of the community managers here. Nice to meet you and glad to have you aboard.

Sorry that you found this bug. It's frustrated a lot of people. It's fixed in Premiere Pro 23.2. Thank goodness. You can choose to update your software. Let us know how it goes after you do. If the advice is not working, let us know ASAP.

We love it when editors come back and tell us if they found success with advice here. Thanks again for stopping by and I hope we hear from you again soon. Not too soon, though, you have some editing to do. Have a great weekend.

Take Care,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, 

Brilliant. I just updated and all seems to be working as usual. 

Really glad the update fixed the issue! 

All the best, 

Ian 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, 

I'm afraid I am still having the same problem after the update and it's really slowing my workflow down to snails pace. Are other users finding this and do you have any ideas for a fix?

Thanks 

Ian 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you try to reset the preferences again after updating?

are there any clips dynamically linked to After Effects? (make sure you update AE as well)

try to clean your media cache, and import one of your old projects

into a fresh new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos, Thanks for your message. 

I tried all that you suggested but am still experiencing the same problem. I have a film due to a client tomorrow and another on Thursday so I'm tearing my hair out. 

Any other suggestions would be great. 

Thanks, 

Ian 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We actually need more info to thouroughly troubleshoot whare you are experiencing. Hardware specsc Ram, CPU, GPU, Where is your media living? your OS? Projects? Media Cache? Type of footage codec? Seqyence settings and workflow? How did you clear the Media Cache? Locally or system wide?  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thansk for getting back, 

I'm editing on a macbook pro and my project is on an external hard drive.

Processor 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory 32 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X

The media is living on an external hard drive which is plugged into the macbook pro. 

The operating system is macOS Monterey 

The majority of the footage was shot on a sony PXW-Z90 - 

MXF File details: Wrapper type: MXF OP1a (type: SingleItem SinglePackage MultiTrack Stream Internal) File generated by: Sony, Mem (2.00) H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Long GOP High Profile 4:2:0 Unconstrained Coding Bitstream Format: Sony Class 100

Other footage was shot on an iphone using Filmic pro 

Video Codec Type: MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0

Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 23.39.17.png

Above are the sequence seetings. 

Hope that helps, 

Ian 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me. Is the Iphone footage VFR or Constant? Also, if you're editing with 4K h264 or h.265 long gop footage then that is a heavy burden on your system resources which are a bit underpowered. The optimal workflow would be to transcode your footage to a edit friendly codec like ProRes 422 which would do in your case. Even beeferer systems would have trouble editing that footage. If you could please, tell me about the external drives your are using. SSDs? HDDs? And whats the read/write spead of each one? Finally, if you could tell me the PP Version and Build that would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how did you clean your media cache? I know you're in a rush but I wouldn't ask if I didn't think it necessary. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind. I see that your updated to 23.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help.

I am now using proxy files and I think this is helpin the whole system. 

I also think you're right about the iphone footage being the problem -  The proxy files has helped this. Thansk for the help.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wish you continued editorial success my friend. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines