Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SRT caption import issue - stops Premiere Pro working correctly

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, hope someone can help.

I have a subtitle/caption files provided in VTT format to add to a video.

Premiere Pro does not allow theis file type. I convert these to SRT, which PP does allow.

The video and software work fine intitially, but as soon as I import the SRT caption file,  PP stops working correctly.

If you try to move the blue arrow line on the timeline, it doesn't move, but the captions and video do act as if it has moved. It feels like a bug, but I keep getting it and it makes it impossible to edit once the captions are on, but I need the captions on to edit them in to the right places. I'm a bit stuck. 

Thanks all.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specific version of PR? A screenshot might help.

Are you importing to the project and then placing in a sequence? Or, in a sequence, importing as a caption track?

Yes, the lack of VTT import is disappointing. I don't recall a feature request for this, but suspect there might be one:
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan, thanks for your reply. I'm up to date on Premiere Pro 22.2 via CC I believe. 

I create a new project, then import the MP4 video file. Then I select to import captions, and select the SRT file I have created  (after having used a VTT to SRT online converter). 

I have attached a screen shot, blurred to preserve client content. It shows the timeline 'blue lin'e is still sat near the start, but I have clocked/selected a minute in and it hasn't moved.

The captions have jumped to the right place ( highlighted in top left window) and the video has jumped to the right place (video on top right has moved to match the caption positon). But the timeline hasn't moved.

If I press play on the top right video window, the blue line will jump to correct place on the time line. But then if I go back to it and try and move it back or forward, it will stay static again, whilst the captions and video do move to right place.

The slider bars also won't work on the timeline, its like importing the cpations is creating a blocker to allowign the timeline to work correctly.

Thanks in advance,

Brendan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unable to replicate the performance problem until January. See this post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/slow-performance-with-subtitles-premiere-202...

See this post for some workaround options and a bug report to upvote:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/captions-timeline-slowing-computer-to-a-craw...

I would also look for any performance issues on your machine: you have a pending restart for some type of (OS?) update.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Stan, thanks for these - I'll take a look and see they lead me to a solution. (The OS update is me holding off on Windows 11 upgrade, so shouldn't be causing an issue - I'm expecting more issues when I do eventually upgrade, haha!) . Computer itself is prety new and high powered and been handling captions and videos fine when they are generated within PP, so I think its something to do with th VTT to SRT file conversion causing an issue but couldn't find anything online to answer it.

Thanks for your time, really appreciate it! 

Brendan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines