Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange auto-scrolling behavior in timeline

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've searched the forum but can't find a thread about this... I'm experiencing a strange feature/bug that's pretty irritating. A few minutes after I start Premiere, the timeline will start scrolling whenever I move my mouse cursor away from the center of the screen. You can see this happening at the link below:

Private Video on Vimeo

the password is: autoscroll

To be clear: this doesn't happen when I first start Premiere. It's usually 5-10 minutes into a session, and then I have to quit and re-start the program to get a few minutes of peace. Is this something I've accidentally turned on, that I can deactivate? It's really annoying to have the timeline scroll to follow my cursor, when I go for my effects or media browser.

iMac running 10.10.3, Premiere Pro CC 2014

Thanks for your help!

Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Hello All,

Update to Premiere Pro CC 2015 (9.0.1) from the Creative Cloud application to solve this issue.

If you do not see the update in the Creative Cloud application:

1. Relaunch the Creative Cloud application (gear icon)
  2. Sign out of the Creative Cloud application, then sign back in. (gear icon > Preferences)
  3. Restart the computer

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 155 Replies 155
New Here ,
May 31, 2015 May 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been suffering from the same symptoms with the Premiere timeline scrolling left and right chasing my mouse when mousing to my alternate monitor. It started after an update from OSX 10.8.5 to 10.10.3, and similar to other posters restarting Premiere solved it temporarily.

Something that I thought I would try seems to have stopped it (but I'll repost if the symptoms come back).

I disabled "Displays have separate spaces" in the Mission Control system settings. I remembered that this caused me some grief with my Wacom drivers on my home computer when I updated to Mavericks. The link below is for Mavericks but is still a suitable guide to disbaling this setting in Yosemite.

How To Disable The Second Menu Bar In OS X Mavericks | MacTrast

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2015 May 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something that I thought I would try seems to have stopped it (but I'll repost if the symptoms come back).

They're back ... my bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kinora Films,

Sorry for this issue. This bug certainly coincides with OS X 10.10.3. Let me investigate further. In the mean time, I hope everyone with this issue can file a bug so we can make sure that the team knows how serious the issue is. Here is the link: http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2015 Jun 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's related to Mac OS X 10.10.3...how did it show up on @pjm460's PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2015 Jun 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's related to Mac OS X 10.10.3...how did it show up on @pjm460's PC?

Possibly because it was a different issue and may have just  been co incidental.  It certainly was an isolated one amongst Windows Users..

That poster was able to sort his issue by a method that apparently has not worked  for others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Fully updated... dual monitor setup. Let's get this fixed!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same problem (on my Mac). These half-baked 2015 updates are really frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've running PP CC 2015, OS X 10.10.3 and dual monitors and I;m having this issue too.

Changing the workspace to the stock "Editing" workspace fixes the issue temporarily but then after about 30-60 seconds Premiere crashes.

Another day, another Premiere bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all who have reported and otherwise assisted in isolating the cause of this problem We're working on reproducing it internally now and will do our best to get it fixed as soon as possible. For now, I'd like to verify the following:

1. It is NOT specific to 2015 (happens in 2014)

2. It IS specific to mac 10.10.3 (does not occur on mac 10.10.2)

3. It requires a dual monitor setup

Does anyone have any information which may supplementary of or contrary to that?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

-James Strawn

PrPro QE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem occurred on an iMac 27" which of course does not have 2 monitors. My situation was occurring during a project that I was working on both at my office (on an iMac) and my home (on a PC). The files were backed up on an external hard drive and transported back and forth. The problem stopped (perhaps coincidentally) after I deleted my synced user settings from creative cloud and reset them locally. The behavior I witnessed was as if the mouse inadvertently got switched to act like a jog/shuttle wheel, a behavior that I believe I have used with another NLE software program (Edius?) several years ago. Move you mouse to the right ...  shuttles right ... move it faster and farther to the right, it shuttles faster to the right, etc., etc. My hunch was that perhaps a latent keystroke command switched the "feature"on, which is why I deleted my settings. I though maybe the translation between my Mac keyboard and my PC keyboard during the opening and saving of the project on both computers may have contributed somehow to the anomaly. I have been following this thread and it seems as though my situation may just be a weird coincidence, but I have not experienced the problem since my setting change as well as finishing that project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2015 Jul 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly nothing specific to 10.10.3 because issue is still here on 10.10.4 (installed it 2 days ago).

Patiently waiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it has nothing to do with the mouse. I'm using a wacom pen. jstrawn‌ here is my info:

Setup: Retina iMac + Monoprice 27" IPS-ZERO-G Slim Monitor (lighning to DVI)

Latest Premiere 2015 update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a logitech M570 trackball. However, when I am just using my Macbook Pro (single screen), the M570 does not cause the autoscroll. Normally, once you go beyond a certain region it will start the scroll regardless of the window that is active. I've attached an image of where the scrolling would begin if you moved left of the area highlighted. I will test tonight with my second screenScreen Shot 2015-07-06 at 11.20.23 AM.png, as I am not at the location where my second screen is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok it happened with the wacom pen today so ill take that back. it was working fine till i dragged over from the bin to the timeline. i was adding reverb to an audio track.

GT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open call to everyone experiencing this issue...

I've tried reproducing this in-house for quite awhile and have so far been unable to come up with the combination of factors that leads to this autoscrolling behavior. I'm working with a late 2013 Mac Pro with a dual monitor setup, 10.10.3, and both Premiere Pro CC 2014 and 2015. No matter how I drag, trim, scroll and any other mouse action, I can't get this behavior to occur. That's not saying this doesn't happen--I've seen the videos that some have posted and I believe it is happening! But, as James has said earlier in this thread, this isn't happening internally and it's not happening for everyone, so if we can't recreate the situation we can't fix it. That means we need your help in reproducing this issue.

My thinking is that it's something related to how a workspace is set up, and how you interact with that workspace. Throughout this thread and others, there doesn't seem to be one particular action that causes the scrolling--for some it happens while dragging clips to and fro in the Timeline panel, while I've seen others report that it happens when dragging from the Project Panel or Effects Panel to the Timeline. That suggests to me that there is some sort of "hot zone" that when a mouse pointer is dragged across it, cause the application to act like the mouse button remains depressed even when it isn't. But it's that location of the hot zone that is a mystery. Bear in mind, this is just a theory, but if you're encountering this issue randomly, with this in mind you can mentally track what you were doing and where in Premiere Pro when this started occurring.

That all said, if you have a solid 100% reproducible situation, please let me know via PM. I'd love to get a project file from you (no media necessary) containing your workspace that can help isolate the issue. I'll need specifics on what you're doing when the scrolling starts. Thanks in advance for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok i found something that might help i think. for me when it happens i close all of my timelines and re open one. then it stops, but usually crashes with in a minute.... so here is the crash report hope it helps

GT

Dropbox - crashreport02GT.rtf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for including that log, Greg. If/when you see that again please make sure you click the option to send it in to adobe along with some simple steps or info about what you were doing at the time. From the log details it's definitely something happening in the timeline framework at that moment, but here's no way to day for sure if it has to do with scrolling or not. If other users are seeing the same or similar crash in conjunction with he auto scrolling behavior, then that will be a pretty good clue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going off the closing the timeline solution/fix/workaround: I've found that if I toggle to the Metalogging workspace and back the problem goes away. Why?...I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact that the Metalogging layout is the only one without a timeline opened automatically. Now why this makes it stop I have no idea. This is a real thing, Adobe, and what a pain to go for the new Lumetri Panel and have your timeline disappear. It starts when the cursor (mouse or pen driven) gets to within about the last 10% of edge of the timeline on either side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It starts when the cursor (mouse or pen driven) gets to within about the last 10% of edge of the timeline on either side.

Can you be more specific, in regards to what you're doing there when it happens? Are you trimming? Are you moving clips around? Are you adjusting keyframe rubberbands? Are you dragging effects in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me i have the time line, source record on my imac monitor. on my second monitor i have my project bins and effects. when i drag over an effect or a clip from the bins to the time line 1 out of 10 times it triggers the effect. Im usually zoomed in on the time line when it has the issue.

GT

2-monitors.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No clicking with the mouse or pen. Just get the cursor at the edge of the timeline and it starts scrolling. Imagine you simply move over to the Lumetri Panel and before you even have a chance to click on anything your timeline takes off scrolling. That's the behavior.

I have been able to reproduce this behavior on clips with effects (native and Red Giant) after the computer has come out of sleep. The behavior does not occur on timelines without any effects after it comes out of sleep. This is not to say it doesn't occur sometimes while I'm in the middle of something, just saying that I can make it happen by leaving a timeline with effects open until the computer goes to sleep. I don't use a screensaver I just have the displays turn off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting--thanks for the additional info.

When you say "sleep," are you just referring to the monitors, or is the entire computer going into a powersave mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 10.44.31 AM.png

That's all I've got going on here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything I said before still stands, but now this is happening all the time like right in the middle of moving a clip. Mayday! Mayday! Switching workspaces no longer helps as now it just crashes after the switch. I think somebody mentioned this was happening to them too. C'mon guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case it happens when I add an effect to the video in the time line, such as auto color or auto levels... It only effects the timeline I'me working on, I usually have several timelines open [tabs], and the other timelines work fine. When I go back to the effected one, it still scrolls. Started in CC2014 a few weeks ago, also doing it in CC2015. Close and open only solution, and my current project has >8TB of footage and takes quite a while to load. After closing PPCC15 effected timeline is fine. 3 monitors. One other thing... also appeared at the same time... I am playing footage in time line... and use blade tool. first cut fine, second cut above first cut sends me to pinwheel of death... there is no escape... it has spun overnight... only force quit works... if you can get the computer away from PPCC in the first place. no crash log... just stops. Started occurring generally the same time as scrolling issue.sysfile.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines