Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subtitles don't work / won't appear

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Premire Pro CC 2020)

I've looked at the other threads on this, and none of them lead to a solution. 

I have followed the instructions, as given, but when I put in subtitles on the time line, they appear only in the source panel. They don't appear in the program panel, and after exporting, there is no subtitle track.

Yes, I've checked the "enable captioning" in all the wrench menus, and I've made sure the settings are the same. I've done everything pointed out in the previous threads on this. I've followed the instructions as given. But they just don't show up.

Are others have this problem, too? What could it be?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> "put in subtitles...."

What kind of "subtitles"? Open Captions, Open Subtitling, Closed Caption 608, etc.

Please post a screenshot of your Caption Panel with the caption stream selected. Also the Source and Program Monitors, and timeline with the caption stream visible.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem.

Using the captioning tool, set to 'open subtitles' on a standard timeline which contains only a quicktime movie (Prores 422 on Mac).

Subs appear in my program monitor, but do not playback via Mercury Transmit on my monitoring screen. Nor do they export at all.

I have set the export captions to 'burn into video' and all that happens is a static subtitle appears in the export preview, with 'type your captions here' on it!!!

The subtitle creation mechanics seem to work fine, but to no effect on playback or export.

My system is:

2019 MBP 16"

2.3GHz 8 core i9

64GB RAM

MD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

OSX 10.15.4

PP 14.1.0

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like it may be an update issue For Export Options that is being investigated. Could you please try:

1) Save

2) Close Project

3) Reopen the Project

4) Save again. Now go to Export Settings and see of the Caption is now correct for Burn Captions into Video.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much, Trent. That seems to have worked. It was the first time I have used captions since upgrading to the latest version (new computer too), so I was rather frustrated to find it didn't work as normal.

It was the 'save again' that made the difference, as I had tried closing and reopening and even rebooting, but to no avail. 

Thanks so much!

Best,

Dominic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for the frustration, Dominic. This is a pesky issue that is under investigation, but glad the workaround got you up and running again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you actually have the same problem. etmiller sees his captions only in the Source Monitor; not the Program Monitor as you do.

But the fact that you see "type your captions here" (the default text when you create a new caption stream) suggests that you don't have the correct caption stream in the sequence you are working with. (But then that one caption should show in an export.)

Also, "Open Subtitling" is a form of closed caption, so to see them on playout, your reference monitor (or whatever you are sending to) must be set to show them, same as the PR Program and Source Monitors.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan. Trent seems to have fixed it for me. I know the settings for showing captions in the standard monitors, but can find no reference for the external playback monitor I use. Is that a hardware thing? It has always worked in previous versions of PP, so I may well be out of date!

Thanks for your help, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines