Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Synchronizing multiple clips of multiple cameras

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

our company often records interviews with two or more cameras where the audio is recorded directly onto the camera.

We mostly work with a clapperboard and start a new clip with each take. This workflow has proven to be the most efficient.

Not very efficient seems to be the synchronizing feature in Premiere.

If I drag the cameras on different tracks of one timeline, the synchronizing feature only works if just one single clip from each track is selected.

The feature is greyed out if I select more than that.

Multicam is basically capable of doing that, but the editing is too cumbersome for these purposes and it also f***s up the syncing quite often, especially when syncing by audio.

We have used Pluraleyes in the past, but the Premiere syncing algorithm seems to do a much better job. Furthermore we have only one license of Pluraleyes right now and as we're quickly expanding, the 300 bucks (thanks Red Giant...) for each NLE costs a pretty penny.

Is there a way to do this without investing in Tentacle or changing the workflow?

Thanks and regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, multicam editing is what I do most. I have good experience with multicam editing in premiere, at least at getting clips aligned and start the edit (I'm not talking about blacked out cameras or lagging because of diffrent kHz of the audiotracks and so on; to date I could get over all bugs of these kind). Aligning clips with audio especially when using a clapper, fails very rarely in my experience. So what exactly do you mean by "editing with multicam is to cumbersome"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Start filming, use the clapper, do the interview, stop filming.

2. Use cameras that won't break up long clips into multiple files.

This gives you one clip per camera per interview.  Very easy to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thanks for your answers.

Cumbersome meant working with the Multicamsequence itself. The main issue though is that the processing of multiple clips often results in multiple timelines which have the clips scattered all over them. Aligning them in a timeline and then just start a syncing process would be what I'm looking for (like in Pluraleyes ).

1. Start filming, use the clapper, do the interview, stop filming.

2. Use cameras that won't break up long clips into multiple files.

This gives you one clip per camera per interview.  Very easy to work with.

That was our previous approach and may be the case for a simple set-and-forget-scenario, but it doesn't work for many of our projects any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then you may be left with syncing one group of clips at a time, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines