Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The Editors' R.O.T.s

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editors' R.O.T.

What the heck is an R.O.T.? It's short for "Rule of Thumb" and it refers to a series of unwritten rules that used to be passed down from a master craftsman (in any trade) to his or her apprentice. The apprentice then becomes the master and then the cycle repeats.

Unfortunately, this doesn't happen any more as we now have a little thing called "the internet." The internet is where tips are handed out randomly and sporadically like small packages of candy. Many of these vital tips are simply glossed over or never surfaced to be important enough to the fledgling editor.

This is rather a shame that this ancient practice has largely ended, but we here in the Adobe Community intend to remedy that with a series of tips in that same spirit.

We feel that the beginner (and even an experienced editor) can glean some small nuggets of wisdom to make their lives a little easier. I know some of the advice here may seem "preachy" or even condescending but that is not the intent. The real reason to talk about and learn about such things is that these will help us all grow and learn as a community.

We call it the Editor's R.O.T.

Welcome.

List of R.O.T.s

If you have a question or would like more info on a R.O.T. that you like, please comment below.

....more to come.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am impressed with your sentiment ( craft, and passing it on, where applicable ). Youth has a way of breaking rules sometimes, and making 'art' more relevant to their own generation, but usually it's cause they already know the rules. You can't break rules well and replace it with new magic from a position of ignorance.

I always thought you were both tolerant and dedicated, but this post of yours really raised you up a notch in my estimation of your heart and mind's desire to help people and avoid pitfalls; but rather be successful in making ( editing and delivering) product.

To a large extent this forum has been doing that exact thing via the many really nice people who've contributed over the years. They all have different experiences ( re: consumer, pro-consumer, or pro ) AND environments. I know a man who shoots weddings while I was working on movies, and I never learned what critical issues he dealt with ( shooting and editing for final product to customer ). I rather looked down my nose at that a while back. It's only now I have finally learned how different venues require different solutions ( of both shooting and editing ).

Luckily, your idea of ROT transcends all that … the technology of shooting and editing .. and focuses more on basic pitfalls to avoid. Nor does it focus on any particular 'genre' ( film, capturing gameplay, jumping out of an airplane with camera on head, etc.)

I personally have found that writing stuff down on paper helps a lot, no matter what I have worked on,

It allows me to pick up from where I left off more readily. Or helps me plan ahead. If already shot and I'm just looking at what takes I have to work with, I make notes about what is good ( in those cases the director already said PRINT for dallies, or he's got the same shit I do).

So my contribution is ( so far ) , make notes, write stuff down on paper... even if it's just a napkin at some coffee house.

: )

Stuff happens in your HEAD ( imagination and solutions ) … and for God's sake, Don't Rush it if you can help it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

These are great resources. I am sure they will be linked frequently in regular threads. I like that you added a link from the individual ROT to this document.

I couldn't figure out how to label the original posts as "helpful," but I see that for this document and the individual ROTs, there is a "like" button at the top right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines