• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The Mac CS6 "Serious Error" thread

Enthusiast ,
Jun 03, 2012 Jun 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like there are 4-6 disjointed threads about some big problems Mac users are finding with CS6 (and 6.0.1)  To give us a better place to figure out solutions and for others to find with a search, maybe we can post a discussion here.

The Adobe engineers are participating and receiving crash logs, and hopefully a pattern can develop.

I'm on a MacPro 4,1, Lion 10.7.4, CS6.0.1, 32GB RAM, GTX 285 with the latest nVidia and CUDA drivers.  I am seeing 2 primary issues:

Lots of Serious Error crashes.  This happens without any noticeable pattern - sometimes with the title tool, trim monitor, or simply just scrubbing the timeline.  It seems to happen more frequently with Dynamic Links in the timeline.  Also, I believe it is happening more often (or maybe exclusively)  with the MPE GPU option enabled.  I think in Software Only mode, it may not be present, although further testing required.

Also, I am having an issue where Pr will display black only in the source and program monitors, unless I click around the timeline and will get flashes of images.  This is remedied by changing over to Software Only for the MPE.  It seems to be worse if Safari is running.

Wil - an Adobe engineer - has taken a look at my crash logs and seems to think something is funky with the graphcs drivers in both cases, but crash logs from other users seem to not agree. 

CS6 on the mac - for  me and a few others - is incredibly flaky.  If you are having issues, can you post and explain what you are seeing and what your hardware/driver config is.  Any patterns we can find will help the engineers troubleshoot and get this taken care of. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 535 Replies 535
Enthusiast ,
Jun 25, 2012 Jun 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally, Premiere will suddenly stop scrubbing the video, i.e. I can press the play/stop button but nothing will play.

I get this issue too - I don't know if it is related to the Serious Error, or if this is just another bug.  For me, the only way to handle it is to switch over to "Software Only" on the MPE and I get picture back.  It feels like the CUDA driver is getting funky and causing a GPU error when this is happening.  I may be wrong, but it seems to happen if I have Safari open and have played back some flash content or HTML5 video.  Not positive on that link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching over to "Software Only" eliminated my errors (at least during the intial testing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, except my machine is already running on Software Only, I don't have a CUDA card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read somewhere in this thread someone asking if anyone on a mac was not getting "serious errors", so I thought I'd mention that we have 3 macs running CS6 that are all working fine. All are on 10.7.4, and were built recently as a clean install without migrating data. A Mac Pro 2,1 and a 2007 Macbook Pro both with no cuda, and a Mac Pro 3,1 with a GTX285. CUDA drivers were not updated on the 3,1 as the drivers out of the box are the right version for another piece of software we use. I'm not sure if that lends support to the CUDA drivers being to blame? Dunno.

The only problems we've had since upgrading from 5.5 are to do with AVCHD files that have been wrapped as .movs, which worked in 5.5. but don't in 6 (media constantly pending), but I think that's a seperate issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SimonHy,

Thanks for adding this.  do you know (or can you find out) what CUDA driver version you are running?   I'm also on a Mc Pro 3,1 with GTX285 and I'm seeing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah no problem.

CUDA Driver Version: 4.0.19

GPU Driver Version: 7.18.18 270.05.25f01

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CUDA Driver Version: 4.0.19

GPU Driver Version: 7.18.18 270.05.25f01

I am also running the GTX285 and would love to try it out with these older drivers.  Without having them on a Time Machine backup, do you know any way to get these old drivers?  I am guessing they aren't archived on the nVidia site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downgraded to the drivers you listed above, played video for 3 seconds and got a "Serious Error."  Getting unbelievably frustrating. 

Thanks for the glimmer of hope, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@needles27,  this could possibly be pointing us to a solution through your misfortune.  If downgrading to an older drive is causing the error to happen more frequently, is it possible that our issue IS the driver?  I know there are many reports of non CUDA enabled GPU's receiving the error, so possibly it is the GPU driver not the CUDA driver that is continually triggering this error?

@ExactImage,  I've been editing only ProRes timelines, mixed format: mpg, avi, mov, P2, Canon 5D and 7D only, C300 only, Sony F3 only, all of which at some point or another have given me the "serious error". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SimonHy,

What type of footage (codecs) are you editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that hasn't helped out.

I'm cutting a variety or media; AVCHD .mts files from an FS100, XDCAM HD422 and XDCAM EX (both imported using Sony's XDCAM transfer for Mac, so turned into the Apple flavour of XDCAM .mov), ProRes, DV, HDV and a couple h264 flavours from DSLRs and from a GoPro camera. I'm working in an XDCAM HD422 50i timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I posted my issues on another thread, but  this seems to be the place to consolodate. Updated:

I am getting full-blown kernal panics (requiring hard power cycle to unfreeze), "serious error", and "Premiere Pro has encountered an error". The last of which allows me to save, but keeps re-posting the error dialogue. The resulting "save" in this state is a corrupted PrP proj.

PrP projects seem to get corrupted just after I have dynamically linked  with After Effects and begin to tweak the resulting timeline in AE (masks, levels... regular stuff/no special plugins).

I have seen all three crashes even after running Disk Warrior. It doesn't seem to be related to invoking dynamic link. I've also gotten it just by scrubbing in my timeline, or by switching render settings from "performance" to "memory".

I have gotten "serious error" after creating a new admin user and importing a non corrupted project into it to try to begin again.

Crashes:

• "Premiere Pro has encountered an error.

[/Volumes/BuildDisk/builds/tightykilt/shared/adobe/MediaCore/AudioRend erer/Make/Mac/../../Src/AudioRender/AudioPrefetch.cpp-87]"

• "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Pro to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project."

• kernel panic

Specifics:

SYSTEM:

Premiere Pro 6.0.1

Mac OS 10.7.4

MacPro5,1

32 GB Ram

PROJECT & MEDIA drive: Mercury Accelsior. Blackmagic Disk Speed Test: > 500 MB/s read/write

CACHE drive: Internal SATA Raid 0. Blackmagic Disk Speed Test: > 400 MB/s read/write

Nvidia Quadro 4000 Mac

CUDA Driver Version: 4.2.10

GPU Driver Version: 1.3.4.0 (270.00.00f06)

Cineform 1.2.0.127 codec installed for access to GoPro footage

FOOTAGE:

• h.264 from GoPro Hero 2: 720p60, 1080p30

• h.264 from Canon D5: 1080p30, 1080p24

• h.264 from Canon D7: 720p60, 1080p30, 1080p24

• ProRes 422 720p24 recompressed Hero 2 footage which is longer than 10 minutes to avoid sluggish response.

SEQUENCE:

• 720p24. I have tried both "no" compression, and DSLR PrP settings.

PROCESS AFTER CRASH:

• delete Premiere prefs. with Prefrence Manager Version 3.2.1 (3210)

• trash cache files

• repair permissions

• restart

• duplicate latest auto-save and try to avoid using dynamic link.

I'm going to try disabling my GPU... If that doesn't work, I'm going to try pulling my Nvidia Quadro

Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm the sole user of my computer. I'd prefer to junk the entire "permission" concept altogether. If any non-user is bored enough to "Read and Write" on my computer then that's a non-risk I'm willing to take. I'm an open book.

If I could bypass this permission crap I could finally rule it out as the cause of my permanently-muted audio, perenially-slow processing, and multiple-other glitches. 

It's infuriating how many times I run Disk Utilty—even in a row—only to find case after case of "unexpected" permissions that need "repairing."  Here's my view: THEY'RE ALL UNEXPECTED. I never wanted permissions on my computer to begin with.

Does any Mac user on this thread know whether or not we can grant open access to everything on our computers and to every non-existent "Guest User" under the sun and be free and clear of this nonsense? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

genefama wrote:

Does any Mac user on this thread know whether or not we can grant open access to everything on our computers and to every non-existent "Guest User" under the sun and be free and clear of this nonsense? 

For what it's worth: it may seem like "nonsense" to you, but file permissions are key to the UNIX underpinnings of OS X.  It's one of the ways that UNIX (and therefore OS X) is so secure from things like general hacking, viruses, and what have you.  I hate to say it, but you're not going to get "free and clear" of it unless you want to back-grade to OS 9.  Which was a turd of an OS.

Now, why you have to keep correcting file permissions like that is an interesting mystery.  Without seeing what's actually being corrected, I can't really tell you what or why.  My strong suspicion, however, is that it has absolutely nothing at all to do with your Premiere Pro issues.  In fact I'll bet a paycheck on it.

jas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a second data drive (don't do this to your main boot drive) you can right click on it, choose get info, then in the lower left choose to ignore permissions for this drive.   However, that is not the pancea it may first appear to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My MacBook Pro 17 inch late 2011, 2.4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM with AMD Radeon 6770M suffers the same crashing problem and it knocked out the audio system.

Not just muted, it also ruin other system such as iTunes won't play (stays at 0:00) and hitting spacebar for Preview don't work on video files (only shows the bigger version of the thumbnail).

I've reinstall Lion (via Recovery mode) and updated to 10.7.4, now everything works normal again. Phew...

What is wrong with Premiere Pro CS6 and the Mac?

I hope Adobe engineers come up with the update that will address this issue once and for all ASAP..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AudyErel wrote:

My MacBook Pro 17 inch late 2011, 2.4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM with AMD Radeon 6770M suffers the same crashing problem and it knocked out the audio system.

AudyErel, since our laptops are identical (except for ram and probably additional software) and we are not yet having these issues I'm wondering if there is any third-party stuff happening that is causing the problems. We do not have any third-party codecs other than the stuff that comes with ProRes (via installing Motion, etc) and Avid DNxHD. On this mobile system we have not installed any third-party plugins for Premiere, or any for the Adobe suite.

We do have drivers installed for a Sonnet card reader that interfaces via their Thunderbolt/eSATA interface and our external mini raid hard drive is connected to eSATA via a Sonnet express 34 card. So that would be all with any extra thrid party drivers that I can think of. We have the latest version of Lion and CS 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I remember other than the CS6 master collection my MacBook was installed with: VLC player, Any Video Converter, 5DtoRGB converter, Adobe CS5 master collection, Final Cut Pro X, Motion, Compressor, Red Giant Magic Bullet Suite plug-ins for After Effects & FCPX (which include Colorista II, Denoiser II, Looks, Mojo, Grinder, Knoll light, Trapcode, etc),  Twixtor plug-in and Ableton.

I am now trying to reinstall CS6 back to my newly restored Lion 10.7.4, fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running out of patience.  7 Serious Errors in this last hour of editing.  Attention to any Mac users researching whether to switch to Premiere CS6:  Don't do it.  It doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been able to avoid "serious error" and kernel panic for the last two days by doing the following (not sure which steps are essential):

1. Creating a new admin user.

2. Setting PrP to use CPU instead of CPU

3. Ignore "...line 87" error by moving the dialog out of the way; obsessibly click it if I need to read the audio waveforms.

Yes my spendy Nvidia Quadro 4000 Mac is dormant, and red render lines abound, but PrP has never been so responsive. Exports do seem to take much longer, but I haven't timed them.

Next steps:

1. Boot from external Lion FW drive

2. Erase/Instal Lion.

3. Update to 10.7.4

4. Make sure I have latest CUDA

5. Fresh instal CS 6 Production Premium

6. See if I can use PrP with GPU instead of CPU

7. Instal and check after each step: GoPro CinePro codec, FCP, Mocha, etc.

8. Post results

CD 6 Production Premium  Main System: Mac OS 10.7.4 | MacPro5,1 | 32 GB Ram | PROJECT & MEDIA drive: Mercury Accelsior. Blackmagic Disk Speed Test: > 500 MB/s read/write | CACHE drive: Internal SATA Raid 0. Blackmagic Disk Speed Test: > 400 MB/s read/write | Nvidia Quadro 4000 Mac | CUDA Driver Version: 4.2.10 | GPU Driver Version: 1.3.4.0 (270.00.00f06) | Cineform 1.2.0.127 codec installed for access to GoPro footage |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@needles27, I'm with you on that, Smoke on Mac is going to get some serious testing starting this weekend.  I can't be constantly trouble shooting my editing software.  I don't want to publicly bad mouth a company, but I feel like other editors looking at a solid and professional editing application should be seriously warned about the issues Premiere cs6 has on the mac. 

@Benjamin Goldman,  thanks for your possibly avoidance of the "serious error".  Please let us know how the external boot disk performs, curious to know if it has any affect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding Mac Pro5,1: I  had a  very stable FCP, AE, PS CS5/6 station since mid-2010 (from 10.6 to 10.7.4). I updated software/repaired permissions regularly. I used Permission Manager, SuperDuper, and DiskWarrior to keep my ducks in a row. (see config below)

Unhappy with Apple's commitment to FCP/Pro users, I geared up for switching from FCP to PrP, specifically, I added a Nvidia Quadro 4000 Mac (which seemed like the most powerful card Adobe was recommending to take advantage of CS6 improvements). I also added a fast cache volume.

I decided to learn PrP by editing a DSLR project with it. (No recompress of h.264? Awesome!!, I thought). Though I had the latest Cuda drivers and Mac & Adobe updates, the day I started using PrP to  edit, I got kernel panics, serious errors, and what I would later learn is a harmless/annoying line 87 error. (Thanks @benwinter!)

Phone calls with Adobe tech support: escalated to a higher tier. An employee who shall be referred to as "V" told me to try creating a new Admin account, and to email him the results. The results were: "serious error" in the first few minutes of use. I sent the update to V along with my crash report. He has not yet responded but has (or has allowed the system to) mark my case #0183359996 as "withdrawn" for some reason. But I digress! I have great news, keep reading!

@Jim Simon asked if I had tried simply wiping/rebuilding my system. I didn't have time in the middle of the project (and why would I have to wipe/rebuild a highly functional box?? Was this a wild goose chase??? What's the deal?? I'm on a deadline, waa waa!) I hobbled through the project by turning rendering from GPU to CPU, quitting PrP after it sent anything to another program, and incessantly clicking the error 87 dialogue until it disappeared for a while.

But as soon as my project was finished, I wiped/rebuilt my system. ALL CLEAR SO FAR! Thanks Jim!

My next steps are to back up my functional system and begin adding all of the things I need to really use it: Wacom diver, Epson Expression 10000 XL driver, GoPro CinePro codec etc...

In the age of the App Store, Apple makes a fresh install tricky. I have listed the obsessive steps I took to create a fully-fresh&functional edit system that dynamically links to AE and AU the way I always hoped it would. I will definitely update this post if I encounter  kernel panics and serious errors as I incorporate the rest of my programs/peripherals.

Details:

1. Download Lion (again) from App Store and make a bootable install disc on an external FW drive using these fantastic instructions:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20080989-263/how-to-create-an-os-x-lion-installation-disc/

2. Boot from FW; Erase my system drive; Install 10.7; (note: no migration, no time machine, just a fresh install) restart

3. Upgrade to 10.7.4; restart

4. Download/instal latest Mac Cuda driver (4.2.10)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda-mac-driver.html; restart

5. Give Admin Automatic login; un-require password for sleep and screensaver

6. Instal CS6: PrP, AE, AU, PS, AI, FL; I did NOT launch any of the applications.

7. Launched AAM Updates Notifier; downloaded/installed all updates; restart

8. Launched PrP; it asked me to (click to) install Java Runtime; I complied; PrP downloaded Java, installed it, then launched.

9. I made a new project:

10. General tab: I left everything as is -- Renderer is set to the default "Mercury playback...GPU" (come on Quadro 4000, I'm rooting for you!!);

11. Scratch Disc tab: I set all capture/cache directories to a folder within my dedicated CACHE volume; I set the proj file directory to a folder on my dedicated project and media drive.

12. Sequence Preset: DSLR 720p24 @23.976

13. It took five seconds to load the interface, so I quit and relaunched; much snappier results on the second launch.

14. Edited a project with various h.264s from Canon 5D & Canon 7D; no problem, works great!

15. Made a 1080p24 sequence. Warp stabilize a shaky shot in that? No problem! Load the result into my 720p24 sequence? Sure! I'll even "Scale to Frame Size" (NOTE: Though i love the one-stop scale feature -- I've notice a bug or bizarre interface choice at this point: I have 1080p footage in a 720p sequence, I can see the whole frame but  the footage shows a scale of 100% in its effects control; the correct value is about 66.7%)

16. Highlighted all clips in sequence and initiated "Replace with After Effects Sequence"; It launched AE

17. AE Prefs; I left everything the same except -- I set all of my caches to a folder on my designated Cache drive. (Note: I point all disposable Adobe data to a folder called "CACHEs" in every App that gives me the choice on where to save temp stuff. Along with preferences, this folder gets emptied/trashed when things run-amok.)

18. Rotated, scaled, masked, vignetted and otherwise jacked around with footage in AE; was astounded to see near-instant update in PrP. Some clips had poor playback on first drag-through, but very quickly cached themselves and suddenly I was living the dream: not rendering in AE :)))

19. Sent sequence audio to AU; changed temp directory to designated cache volume/folder; it told me changes would take place after I restarted App, so I restarted and re-opened the XML PrP had previously sent to AU.

20. EQed and sent back to PrP; no problem!

21. Went back into AE; turned on raytracing, added some lights, shadows, bending... back in PrP things were a bit more sluggish on that clip as expected. (About the same as dragging through the AE timeline ) Rendered in PrP... Heard the Quadro fan kick in... Green lines, good playback...

CS 6 Production Premium | Mac OS 10.7.4 | MacPro5,1 | 32 GB Ram | PROJECT & MEDIA drive: Mercury Accelsior. Blackmagic Disk Speed Test: > 500 MB/s read/write | CACHE drive: Internal SATA Raid 0. Blackmagic Disk Speed Test: > 400 MB/s read/write | Nvidia Quadro 4000 Mac | CUDA Driver Version: 4.2.10 | GPU Driver Version: 1.3.4.0 (270.00.00f06) |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow.  That's insane.

I'll be curious to see if you return to the thread saying, "They're baaack!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Curtis wrote:

Wow.  That's insane.

I'll be curious to see if you return to the thread saying, "They're baaack!"

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm sure the problems will come back.  My install is fresh; I have nothing on my system except Firefox, and 2 pieces of Adobe software (Premiere Pro and Photoshop).  The install was as of about a month ago.

jas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines