Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timeline Video Thumbnails - Slowing Down Everything

Enthusiast ,
Feb 02, 2019 Feb 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the bold question below!

I'm editing a 45 minute film all shot on Sony A9 using 4k24p at 100Mbps. My 3 year old PC seems to be slowed down by the presence...or really the generation...of VIDEO THUMBNAILS on the TIMELINE. When I uncheck the option to view these video thumbnails I can zoom in/out on the timeline and scroll around and wherever I place the playhead the scene will pop up in the PROGRAM monitor within maybe a second or two and I can begin playing.

HOWEVER...

If I enable viewing VIDEO THUMBNAILS on the Timeline panel, and zoom in/out on the timeline and scroll around, I have to wait several seconds (sometimes maybe even up to 10) for all the little thumbnails to generate and pop up on the clips and then finally when they're all done populating the span of the timeline that is showing, the clip on the playhead will pop up on the PROGRAM monitor and THEN I can hit play.

I really would like to have Video Thumbnails showing, but it's so painful to move around the film and work quickly with that delay of several seconds that happens every single time I scroll through the timeline or zoom in/out on the timeline. So annoying.

Is there any way to get these video thumbnails to load faster????

My Setup:

(PPro v12.1.2, x99 Deluxe, Windows 10, 5960x CPU, 64gb RAM, GTX 970, Multiple SSD Drives for Media, Cache,  Projects, etc)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend using Cineform proxies for that media.

Work offline using proxy media |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will in the future for sure.

1) Would using Cineform proxies resolve that issue of the timeline thumbnails loading so slow?

2) What part of the computer is being used to load those TIMELINE thumbnails? (SSD? CPU? GPU? Memory?)  When I de-select "show video thumbnails" on the timeline, its so much quicker and smoother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Possibly.

2. CPU and storage medium.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 25, 2019 May 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

same here. it's so slow. all my temporary files / cache / whatever premiere generates are stored on my super fast M2 drive, only the "real" video's are on the "normal" disk. what's the point of having cache files if they are not used? it seems every time i scroll the time line, or zoom in on it, it reads the original video files again (on the slower disk) just for the thumbnails, which can take many many seconds and disturbs a nice editing flow.

why not store those thumbnails on the quickest disk where the cache is?

david

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines