Exit

Timeline WONT STOP playing ?!?!?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While editing, the playback won't stop.

That is right, you read correctly, 
I hit play, and then cannot stop it.Keyboard no longer gets any result from any keys in Premiere.

Mouse moves fine, but nothing responds to clicks.

It plays as long as it wants, at least seven minutes, sometimes an hour.

When it stops it does whatever key clicks I entered, during its time as a runaway.

It will save, or open panels, or make markers,   whatever keys I had pressed.

I was using wireless.  Now I am using the second of two WIRED keyboards and a wired mouse.

Still same problem.
Impossible to edit like this.

This just happened now, while perfecting a three camera edit in Multicam.

I had just tweaked an edit point with the rolling edit tool in the middle of a 90 minute timeline.

Restarting the program, or rebooting makes no difference.

CC 2017  with Windows 7.

But I have experienced this with many earlier versions of PP.

This has happened in projects that are newly started as well as older projects. 

ANY IDEAS ?  This is something that is hard to search for due to being similar words as other problems.

Please, can anyone help me ?

not sure what tags to use on this post - its not about playback, its about NOT STOPPING playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

One fix could be related to NVIDIA drivers. Please install the 528.49 studio driver and let us know how it goes with 23.2. Any other driver, especially game ready drivers can cause unexpected behavior. Furthermore, take note of the GeForce Experience. Do not run it concurrently with Premiere Pro. NVIDIA drivers have been faulty for a couple of months now and have caused multicam editors a lot of problems. Check it out.

@ShaunK321 has also found a potential solution for those running 23.1 and A

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Hello,

I am so sorry that some of you are still experiencing this bug in current versions. I appreciate everyone that wrote constructive posts and commentary. Unfortunately, the Premiere Pro team does not respond in this user-to-user forum, but they do read the Bug Reports and Ideas forums. Please address them there.

For action on this bug, please upvote and make further comments on this bug report. That would be the best thing we can do as a community. As a community manager here, I will also

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 154 Replies 154
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid this is what's gonna end up happening. I'm just gonna stop paying for a pricey buggy software and get on with a reliable and open source solution . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happenning to me.  2017 iMac Pro, latest updates etc.  Working on a project with a couple nested sequences and all pretty small raw media sizes off a Samsung T5 SSD, but it's been happenning on most projects now.  Haven't had much luck with the fixes listed above.  Every time I hit stop is between 15-20 seconds before it actually stops playing.

From the comments above, looks like it's finally time for me to jump ship to DaVinci after almost a decade with Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far the only thing that has worked for me is to regularly reset my work space to saved layout. It fixes the issue for a few hours or days, it's annoying but this tricks saves me a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot believe it. I still have that problem in 2020. I have to wait for the whole timeline to play. Cannot stop anything. 

I tried resetting the workspace, I tried so many things. 

ANY SUGGESTIONS before I quit definitly Adobe???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mathieu,

This is likely a project specific error. By reading this, it's probably a corrupt sequence or project.

This can happen in all NLEs, especially for older projects, larger projects, and those updated across multiple versions. It is also why experienced editors create multiple backups of projects so that one can always move back into a version where, say, timeline playback was working more reliably.

How to fix stuff like this?

Typically, in troubleshooting the issue, an editor in this predicament would copy the old sequence into a new sequence. If that won't work, you can create a new project and import the sequence into the new project.

If these things do not work, kindly contact us.

Thank You,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aug 18 2020 - more than 6 years since this was first reported, and also here
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/fast-playback-multicam-won-t-stop-until-end-of-timeline-...

and here
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/premiere-2018-won-t-stop-playing/td-p/10266235

and there's literally been no progress whatsoever on this serious bug.

No repro case? Seriously just throw a bunch of cineform clips into a simple MC sequence, hit play/pause a few times and watch it ignore all further input for however long it fancies. Copy everything to new sequence in a new project, sure. It'll work for an hour before resuming the same song and dance.

W10 Pro, i9-9900, RTX2080, triple screens.

Don't give me the "work on a single display" garbage when you dare to charge "professional" subscription fees.

Mod note: File bugs here. This is a user to user forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not "Adobe", just another user.

I can't repro this issue. As I noted in a post long ago above, there is apparently a small subset of users like yourself that still get this behavior. Is it maddening? Of course.

Please post your complete data on this over on their bug reports forum, the system you have, media, and workflow. Posting here talks to other users, posting there gets data directly to the engineers. They've fixed several hundred issues over the last couple years. This is another one that needs work.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It boggles the mind that this is still a problem. Every time I work with a large project, this always happens. Simply opening sequences in new projects/copying projects from previous sequences to new sequences does not fix the problem. There is literally no fix to this problem from what I can tell, and all of my hardware is top notch.

Mod note: This is a user to user forum. File bugs here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021 - Problem still here... Thanks for nothing Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

This issue is happening to a lot of users. It is NOT a project specific problem. We both know this. How many times have you heard this exact issue and from how many users?

Excuses will not fix a problem that obviously should be taken seriously. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, like the other ACPs here, I'm not a staffer, just a volunteer with a fair amount of experience troubleshooting Premiere Pro over a number of years.

Kevin wasn't dismissing the problem. His suggestions are what has shown in working operation to be the main 'fixes' when people have this issue. And just because a number of people have similar problems doesn't mean it's a complete app-wide bug ... just that on certain systems, when something X, Y, or Q-prime happens, G follows. And is fixed by T.

This app is used by hundreds of thousands of people. What seems like "quite a few users" can actually be an incredibly small percentage of the overall user base. And no matter what the issue, if there's a practical fix the user can take care of right now, Kevin's product support staffers and the volunteers and peers around here will suggest it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to fix the problem by turning off time-remapping on a clip on my timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Literally just logged in to say thanks...  My timeline would not stop playing no matter what after I tried to Nest a Clip adding Warp Stabilize, then Reversed the clip in the actual timeline...  It falls over with that combo for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sam

I have the problem constantly with no time mapping on ANY clips?

NS5666

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

specially logged it add my voice to this pathetic bug in the system. This has been going on for years and about time Adobe fixed it. I honestly don't know why I even bother still using Premiere Pro...

Mod note: Address issues Adobe should fix here. This is a user to user forum with limited feedback from Adobe Devs. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, it is 21/02/2021 and I'm also having this issue. I have a project I was working on for a very long time and I can't finish it because of that stupid bug. Can I be fixed, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can it be fixed**

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What troublshootings steps have you tried? Unless we know, it's hard to know how to suggest potential fixes.

The typical things are things like say dump all of PrPro's cache/cache database files. That might do it.

Create a new project, ingest some of the media ... does that project work? As if it does, then it's either a corrupt project file or something in that sequence, either the sequence file itself or the processing order or something within it.

But until we know more, it's hard to say much.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem on every project I edit, multiple machines different project files. It is not as extreme as Mathieus, usually the runnaway is between 5 and 30s but it is an ongoing irritation that makes even a simple edit a real pain to work on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a long time Premiere Pro user and I keep having this problem. I'm currently on Windows but have had the problem on Mac for 8+ years.

The hardware is more than adequate.

I have tried all the recommended solutions, sometimes with success sometimes without.

• Lock/unlock audio layers
  • Delete all caches
  • Renamed config folder to have Premiere create new ones
  • Used only one display
  • Deactivate hardware acceleration de-/encoding
  • Reset settings during start-up of Premiere (ALT+SHIFT on Windows or OPT+SHIFT on Mac during start-up)

Even done even the pram/vram voodoo non-sense on MacOS 😉 

My current best solution that works most often is the following:

• Remove all time reversed clips.

Even though it solved my current problem, it's time for me to switch to DaVinci Resolve. I can't afford to use a non-functional software just before a deadline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only solution I have ever found is disabling all clips with an altered speed.  Altering the speed doesn't always cause the problem - but removing or disabling it does appear to consistently solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I jinxed myself.  After a few weeks without the issue, I've ground to a halt, constantly rebooting because of a runaway playhead.  I'm on a hard deadline, so I'm going to finish the commerical in After Effects (ugh) and then look for an alternative to Premiere after YEARS of using it.  It's been getting buggier and buggier and I can't count on it anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just finished my last Premiere project and already being in the middle of a Davinci project. Just awesome to have non of the issues I got used to work around over the last years

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer to the problem is to use Handbrake to convert your video from a variable frame rate to a constant frame rate (29.97 or 30 fps)

Premiere’s timeline can’t handle variable timecode and it messes up the playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really! But my entire project was shot in 4k25 and I still have the same issue.

Any brilliant ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines