Exit

Timeline WONT STOP playing ?!?!?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While editing, the playback won't stop.

That is right, you read correctly, 
I hit play, and then cannot stop it.Keyboard no longer gets any result from any keys in Premiere.

Mouse moves fine, but nothing responds to clicks.

It plays as long as it wants, at least seven minutes, sometimes an hour.

When it stops it does whatever key clicks I entered, during its time as a runaway.

It will save, or open panels, or make markers,   whatever keys I had pressed.

I was using wireless.  Now I am using the second of two WIRED keyboards and a wired mouse.

Still same problem.
Impossible to edit like this.

This just happened now, while perfecting a three camera edit in Multicam.

I had just tweaked an edit point with the rolling edit tool in the middle of a 90 minute timeline.

Restarting the program, or rebooting makes no difference.

CC 2017  with Windows 7.

But I have experienced this with many earlier versions of PP.

This has happened in projects that are newly started as well as older projects. 

ANY IDEAS ?  This is something that is hard to search for due to being similar words as other problems.

Please, can anyone help me ?

not sure what tags to use on this post - its not about playback, its about NOT STOPPING playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

One fix could be related to NVIDIA drivers. Please install the 528.49 studio driver and let us know how it goes with 23.2. Any other driver, especially game ready drivers can cause unexpected behavior. Furthermore, take note of the GeForce Experience. Do not run it concurrently with Premiere Pro. NVIDIA drivers have been faulty for a couple of months now and have caused multicam editors a lot of problems. Check it out.

@ShaunK321 has also found a potential solution for those running 23.1 and A

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Hello,

I am so sorry that some of you are still experiencing this bug in current versions. I appreciate everyone that wrote constructive posts and commentary. Unfortunately, the Premiere Pro team does not respond in this user-to-user forum, but they do read the Bug Reports and Ideas forums. Please address them there.

For action on this bug, please upvote and make further comments on this bug report. That would be the best thing we can do as a community. As a community manager here, I will also

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 154 Replies 154
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem since 2017. Different machines, different companies, different computers, different drives, different methods, same problem. Maybe Adobe could use some debugging logs to figure out what is happening. It would be nice to be able to edit one day without issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi V,

We have no info on your system, media, or workflow so we can't help. Feel free to log a bug or give us more info in a post of your own. As an editor with my own projects, I've never seen this happen. Sorry it happens to you. Hope we can help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think at this point logging a bug is a moot point. This thread was started in 2017.

Although many previous posters have left their system info, you are one of the few (maybe only) adobe employee responding to this VERY SERIOUS issue (and over 4 years after the thread was started).

I started having this issue about 2 months ago (only when using 2021). It is extremely frustrating and not what I would expect from a "professional" editing system that is over 20 years old. Here are my specs:

specs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The date of the original bug report is irrelevant. This behavior has had several different causes over the years from I think two or three different bugs to local system settings and issues. It's not the same cause all this time.

Hence ... Kevin's troubleshooting information requests. It could be one of several things, only one of which is an actual bug in the software.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the frustraton. This is a user to user forum. A post here is not a support ticket. If you need to get Adobe support, you need to contact us. I'm just here to try to faciliate you getting help.

Although many previous posters have left their system info

Perhaps, but very few have left their media info—and their media is probably not optimized. Have you tried to optimize media to edit with it better?

If an "optimized media" workflow is not working, I can assist you in filing a bug. Reproducible bugs do get fixed, these "sometimes" bugs people here are complaining about are not reproducible so far. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My feeling all along is that the issue (multicamera playback performance) is performance related in most cases. The media used (some flavor of H.264, typically) is too non-performant in a computer that might not be suitable for multicamera editing (no Intel CPU for Quick Sync, and a less performant GPU that uses Metal).

In my case I don't think it can be blamed on hardware.  My dual Xeon system with dual Quadro cards and 64 GB of ECC memory, a dedicated SSD for cache, and dedicated 24TB raid over SAS (hitting well over 1200MB/s) surely can't be the issue (if it is, then that is an issue with Premiere).  These are tiny projects with no FX other than Lumetri.  Any single timeline is from one camera (all the same format and size), with the occassional drone footage peppered in.  I do around 10 of these particular videos a day, and if I had to transcode all the in-camera H.264 footage to ProRes before I could begin editing, I would certainly be looking for different software just for the sake of convenience in the workflow (other editing programs don't seem to have this issue with playback just because of  H.264 footage).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digabyte,

Thanks for the reply.

In my case I don't think it can be blamed on hardware.  

I'm actually more concerned about your media optimization strategy, considering your hardware; not your hardware specifically. Let's take a look objectively.

My dual Xeon system with dual Quadro cards and 64 GB of ECC memory, a dedicated SSD for cache, and dedicated 24TB raid over SAS (hitting well over 1200MB/s) surely can't be the issue (if it is, then that is an issue with Premiere).  

Xeon processors do not have Intel Quick Sync, so you are relying solely on the standalone GPU for H.264 decoding and for accelerating certain effects, like Lumetri. Add on any scaling you are doing from 4K to HD. If you chose CPUs with Intel Quick Sync, I think you would be in better shape for native H.264 multicam workflows. Otherwise, you should look into transcoding or creating proxies on ingest. At that point, your system would really fly. Sorry if this sounds like overkill. I don't think it is.

These are tiny projects with no FX other than Lumetri.  

Thank you. You are using H.264 footage, right? Is it 4K footage from this camera? Your "drone footage." What is that? Is it HEVC? 10 bit? 4:2:2. That's pretty nasty! Is it a HD Timeline? What are the sequence settings? Lumetri is a GPU accelerated effect, so it needs to be considered too, for sure.

if I had to transcode all the in-camera H.264 footage to ProRes before I could begin editing, I would certainly be looking for different software just for the sake of convenience in the workflow 

My opinion is that it is totally normal to transcode footage you want to work with, particularly when you are editing a multicamera edit. At least, in my experience. That said, I've seen a good number of editors coming on the scene that are, like you, wanting no part of optimizing footage. I think the "I don't want to wait" issue cropped up there too. 

Here's the thing, you don't have to wait to begin editing. You import via Media Browser, check off one box (set up in Project Settngs), and just start editing with the native files and AME works in the background and replaces the connection with the non-performant files with way better new ProRes files as you are working. It's so fast that by the time you set up your project, the files are already ready. This function is called transcode on ingest. Then, you can cut multicam like butter with a Xeon Proc rig with tons of other horsepower. Right now, your rig can't operate with multicam as well as one that might've been built with H.264 production in mind - for example with Intel processors with Quick Sync.

(other editing programs don't seem to have this issue with playback just because of  H.264 footage).

Are you speaking about multicamera playback? You really need good hardware assistance to handle multiple streams of that stuff easily. It is truly one of the worst codecs to edit with and it should not be taken lightly.

I'm not a dev, just in support trying to help you have a better experience with Premeire Pro. I don't have multicam experience with other apps and not sure what they do in order to optimize playback and editing of multiple streams of H.264.

Let me know if I can help at all finding you a solution. Keep in mind that all these ProRes files can be deleted after you export. They do take up room, but only temporarily. If this simply won't work, sorry. That's what I'd try.

If all this is not helpful, you can always file a bug on User Voice where devs are reading.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vlarchitecht,

Sorry friend. Multicamera editing is no small feat. You may need to take action. Try 720p or even 640 x 360 ProRes Proxy streams instead of H.264 to edit with. Give us details on the computer you are working with and what happens once you try more performant media to edit with. Good luck.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fabufab,

What kind of footage are you editing with? What camera did it come from?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sounds like a performance issue. Sounds like your machine can't handle 4K proxies. Why not create 720P proxies in ProRes Proxy? Then you might get better performance.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi D,

Sorry. We didn't hear back from you. Can we assume that your issue is OK now? If not, you say you are using 4K proxies. Are these 4K H.264 proxies? Can you try smaller 720p ProRes Proxy proxies instead? Give us a message, OK?

Thank You,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this issue the last 3 years. Every time I'm suffering to do cc cleaner tool or even reinstall windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here. I am still praying for an Adobe Miracle Pro Solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alfredo,

We're sorry for the experience. Have you considered resetting the preferences? https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premie...

Let us know.

Regards,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah! This tip solved my problem for a while!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the problem comes back to test my patience. I forgot to say that I was working on the beta version. My bad. So, I downgrade my project to the stable version, deleted the preferences and now Premiere is behaving itself very well. I think it's something related to the beta version in my case. 

Thanks for the help. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue I have the latest version of premiere pro cc 22.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (16.0 GB usable)
GTX 1050 TI GAMING X 4G
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kdwent,

Sorry. All media is not created equal. Have you tried transcoding your media to an editing codec like ProRes, GoPro Cineform, or Avid DNxHD/HR? Please try that and report back.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually use ProRes footage but have the same issue. All versions of Adobe are affected since I first encoutered this happening at least 3 years ago now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this problem and it's so debilitating. It's insane really because it has gotten to the point of making this completely worthless. I've already created so many projects though that it's going to be very hard for me to switch to something else. But, I'm forced to because this issue and so many others over the years are just destroying my life. 

1. I do a lot of volunteer work for my channel. It's become my livelihood since I became "nonessential" as a videographer for my corporate gigs. So, having to deal with this issue 3 times now each time taking at least a couple of days is just devistating. I've lost my entire weekend this weekend. I mean, I should be days ahead with my editing. A human can only take so much working in front of a computer that it's essential to not waste any of it troubleshooting someone elses product. This is killing me physically, emotionally, and monetarily. I do my work to help the world so I don't charge for what I produce for my channel. This means I pay for travel, gear, my computers, software, etc... and it's all pointless because of adobe, the bottleneck always ends up being adobe. I have top end gear too.
    My computer is an

9 9900 cpu

2080 ti gpu

64 gigs ram

m.2 drives and ssd

assets, os & software, cache, and projects all on separate drives

I mean, my resources are like nothing when running this but adobe premiere is hanging up. I'll playback at 2x speed and stop it with the space bar and a few seconds later that feels like minutes it finally stops. The latest, gratest adobe 2022 does this so bad it's completely unusable. I'm not trying to watch these projects in real time. I need smooth playback not choppy and to speed up playback and have it stop when I hit the spacebar, not a thousand frames later. Even if it's just pressing the L key twice. 
I'm about to try my old C25 DVD. But, really, I just downloaded Divinci, so I'll see if I can handle figuring that out and using my ppro projects in it before they come up with a solution. Dread... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah22161787bifd ,

Sorry for this problem again. We have improved this workflow in the latest beta build. Can you please try the latest beta build version 22.5.0.27(or higher) from the creative cloud and let us know how it goes there?

You can download the latest Premiere Pro Beta build from Creative Cloud --> Beta apps --> Premiere Pro (Beta)

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/creative-cloud-public-beta.html

If you still face this issue, please share your media files(& project) here and we will check at our end https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/share.html

I hope it will help.

Thanks,

Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently having the same issue on my PC. Unbelievably frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue...March 2022, latest version, tried all suggested tips.

Seems to be worse playing nested clips, so frustrating, in the middle of a paid project but can not finish it because of this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very frustrating...this is no longer a professional quality application.

I first played around with premiere in the late 90's, At the time I thought
it was not suitable for professional use. Then in 2016 I was hired for a
company that only used premiere and when I re-learned it, found it
completely usable in a professional environment.

Fast forward to present day and it is once again not an option for
professional use.

Mike Cardeiro
Video Editor

[Personal information removed by moderator.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the frustration. Can you give us complete details of your system and media? Please try creating proxies or transcodes of your media and see how your system behaves afterward. Can you let us know what happens?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines