• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Title Tool not kerning & other recent bugs

Engaged ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is going on with PP 2017?  Is this a conscious decision to remove functionality, or an oversight?

Is anyone else experiencing the Title Tool unable to manually kern by using the alt (option) + arrow keys?  I use(d) this *daily* to adjust the kerning of a particularly nasty typeface (for instance a pair of "1"s with default kern drives our Creative Director nuts).

Now holding alt+hitting the arrow keys does...nothing.  Where have you moved my cheese to?

Seeing as PP doesn't have any batch-renaming functionality (like that of Bridge) people who have to generate countless derivative versions with incremental numbers do this manually with the numberpad, but Adobe changed the functionality of the ENTER key to be ALL STOP, instead of CONTINUE,  which is the way it has functioned since the beginning of time, crossing over into other software like EXCEL.

Re: Renaming Behavior in 2017

Are you a power-user?  Do you make use of numerous self-styled shortcut keys using the numberpad?  Not anymore you don't!  PP 2017 wipes them all out.  How thoughtful.

Where did all the numeric-keypad shortcuts go in Premiere CC 2017?

As a frustrated user testing the waters of 2017 I must say I'm not impressed.  Can someone shed any light on why all this long-standing functionality is being stripped away?  It is truly infuriating...

(Oh, and don't bother relying on the numerous presets you've created for AME--they'll have been altered (DNxHD I'm looking at you) such that they are incapable of completing a render.  Somehow a DNxHD 1080p 8bit preset got internally altered to be 720p 10bit.  No worries--only took me about forever and a day to discover that had happened transparently.  Not everyday you go through your presets with a fine-toothed comb!  Maybe there's a known issues document I should be consulting before losing it here...I'm going off to look...)

Mod note: title changed to reflect issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Known issues in Premiere Pro CC 2017

Nothing in there--unless pushing a render to AME counts as a dynamic link.

Hold on--now the playhead will no longer scrub the timeline forward when manually pushed off the edge of the screen?  Is this an option somewhere?  Why on earth did this change?  It scrolled at a snail's pace--someone had a problem with that?

Put this thing back in the oven.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping this.  Can someone from Adobe (or anyone in the know) explain to me like I'm five years old how I am to kern individual letters now quickly and effectively?

Seriously--alt/option+arrow keys were--and continue to be in other applications--a lifesaver.

When you move cheese--in this case, decades old cheese--it's customary to at least let people know where you've put it.

I'm actually OK with moved cheese--it's when you throw my cheese away we've got problems.

smh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't replicate your issue. I can kern letters in the Title Tool holding down the Option key and using the left/right arrow keys. Running on a Mac based system:

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Meg The Dog

Thanks for chiming in.  I'm on on a PC, Win 10 rolling updates of death, using a "premiere" re-badged Mac keyboard.  Any other PC users able to confirm what I'm seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Cloud Disaster,

Circling back to this issue. I see that it is a reproducible bug on my PC system. I apologize for the inconvenience. If you could file the issue here, it would be most helpful. Please also indicate any other keyboard shortcuts that are not functioning.

Anyone else experiencing the issue should also file. As a workaround, there are controls for kerning in the Titling panel, just no shortcut to engage kerning on PC.

I will also file an internal bug and advocate for a fix.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Cloud Disaster,

The internal bug is now filed with a link to this post. Thanks in advance if you have time to file a bug of your own. We really appreciate it when customers file, as it helps us understand your situation a lot better.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin,

I've filed a bug report for the kerning.  Within the same bug report I detailed the changes to the "enter" key and its inherit functionality on the numpad.

I feel my original post is quite detailed, with links to other issues that have arisen within 2017, with little feedback and no resolution(s).  Lots for the QC team to dig into.

I really don't mean to shoot the messenger / moderator, but recent Adobe releases have needed a lot more time in QC than they've received. 

Off the top of my head:

Lightroom 6.2 fiasco

Let's re-write our software to call SSE 4.1, but not actually test the CPUs listed on our requiremen...

Glad you've posted it internally Kevin--appreciate it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I feel I should add that I hesitate to issue bug reports until I've verified it's a bug.  That's a 'me' thing.

Internally we drown in support tickets--many of which are simply user error.

Personally I don't like to add noise to the signal, but perhaps just filing bug reports for encountered issues is Adobe's preferred way of dealing with these issues, erroneous bug reports included? 

The official Adobe presence on these forums seems to be minimal.  If I'm wasting my time trying to verify if something I'm experiencing is a bug or not and should just file a report at the onset, then that's the approach I can take if it saves everyone time / energy.

(said reflectively, not combatively)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I select the letters in the title, then engage kerning, I can use Alt arrows up or down for kerning. I am using a Windows (8.1) computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I select the letters in the title, then engage kerning, I can use Alt arrows up or down for kerning. I am using a Windows (8.1) computer.

Do you mean clicking within the kerning box to activate it?  Because that works--no need to hold 'alt' with the arrow keys (here on Win 10). 

Oddly enough I just learned you can click between letters, and 'alt'+up arrow to decrease leading, yet you can't increase it with the down arrow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cloud Disaster,

I think that there are number of small bugs related to keyboard shortcuts because of the new Keyboard Editor. Please file any of these bugs with us so that we can tighten up that issue by the next release.

Thanks again for your candid feedback,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same question for a while — BUT just realized that you can customize the keyboard shortcuts in the keyboard editor. My forward and back cursor keys had been reassigned to trim-forward and trim-backward. I reassigned them back to kerning, and now all is right with the world.
Customizing shortcuts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

daveh97481781  wrote

I had the same question for a while — BUT just realized that you can customize the keyboard shortcuts in the keyboard editor. My forward and back cursor keys had been reassigned to trim-forward and trim-backward. I reassigned them back to kerning, and now all is right with the world.
Customizing shortcuts

Hey, thanks for sharing that!  This works for the new titling system, but doesn't appear to work with "legacy titles"--which account for about 200 projects we use.

Adobe's gone all THE LAST JEDI on us--forget the past, kill it if you have to.  Or more accurately, "mangle functionality with legacy titlling/renaming conventions and move on bro!"

Ain't nihilism grand?

*fist bump*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back atcha CloudDisaster​!

I may have more good news. If you're using 12.0.0 (Build 224) for Mac — well in that version I can get kerning to work for me in the "legacy titles" too with the reset keyboard shortcuts.

(Agree this would all be easier if the new titler had more of the legacy functionality ... can someone get me some style sheets and an ALL CAPS setting?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YES! Thank you. 

I also assigned the Shift+alt+direction keys to get the 5 step kerning option too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines