Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transform effect + shutter angle is messing up clip position

Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am using the transform effect for minor animations because of its motion blur abilities when using shutter angle. Lately however it seems like the shutter angle is messing with the positioning of the anchor point or something like that.

For example I wanted an image to rotate a couple times around its own midpoint like a wheel, this worked perfectly fine, then I adjusted the shutter angle to simulate motion blur and all of a sudden the image is rotating around a point somewhere just offscreen. 

The same thing happened when I did only a small scale animation, I made an image pop out a bit by having the scale increase in a short amount of time, then I adjust the shutter angle and now it doesn't pop out of its own middle but from some angle in the screen. 

The amount of shutter angle does not matter, it either does not happen when it's off or happens all the way when either barely or fully adjusted.

Am I goofing? or is this not supposed to happen? Any advice is appreciated!!

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Its incredible - this issue hasnt been fixed for 4 years. Nesting is a disturbing work around that harms the workflow. Adobe please fix a basic effect that hasnt been working for 4 years...

Picture 1 and two demomstrates the position of the emoji where the only difference is a shutter angle on 50 on picture 2, which for some annoying reason completely misplaces the emoji to some random place instead of the center

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly which effect are you using, I can't find one with shutter angle blur.

Ignore I've just found it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my PC it rotates around the centre anchor with any setting of shutter angle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On mine too, but with oversized clips that do not match the timeline, apparently you need to check Scale to Framesize first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But this will affect the resolution (in a negative way) - noticible when you're zooming into overscanned images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any other effects applied to the clip? Let me know, Petro.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it happens with only the transform effect as well. I read somewhere that this could be due to no GPU acceleration enabled, in my settings ''renderer'' is set to ''Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (Metal) - Recommended''

However, I am on a 2020 iMac with an ''AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB'' graphics card, and I have read somewhere else that premiere does not properly support this card so acceleration would not be fully functioning. Could that be the problem?

Thanks for your reply!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So would you have any idea what the problem could be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the Transform Effect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes only the transform effect on a .png image for either rotation or scaling animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same happened to me. So in my case, i have a video clip that is tilted horizontally. I wanted to make it upright so I added one "Transform" and change the "Rotation" of the whole clip to 270 degrees (without keyframes, i didnt do any movement, just rotated the clip). Then later on, i wanted to do a zoomed in effect of that clip. I used the same "Transform" and added keyframes for "Position" and "Scale". It all works fine, the "Transform" did exactly what I intend on using it for. The clip is rotated and the zoom in effect is present. But for the zoom in part, i wanted some motion blur, so on the same "Transform" tab, i increase the shutter angle, but the whole clip moves. It's as if it is cut off and moved off frame. Like the original comment mentioned, the value of shutter angle doesnt determine how far off the clip is messed up. It's either 0 and it's fine, or any shutter angle applied and it's messed up.

Sorry, this is not a solution, just want to add my side of the problem if anyone knows what's up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same exact problem, I wish I could post a video. 
Shutter angle will not be applied, after using "Scale" and "Rotation" in "Transform" effects. The PNG file, in this case the logo will change position, way off centre. 
There appears to be two axis to the PNG file, and it’s impossible to align them without changing the other. 
It is a really annoying bug, as After Effects does not seem to support the animation made inside Premiere as it will not apply any blur, unless it’s directional. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this same issue for a long time. There's a workaround that works for me most of the time - nest the clip and apply the transform effect on the nested sequence. I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2024 Mar 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you much kind sir, it worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make sure to check the option Scale to Frame size in the context menu.

I just tested it on a 6K source clip on a 1080p timeline and with the option checked, rotation is from the center.

If you need to apply the effect to different part of the image, please scale it to the desired size first, create a nested sequence and apply the transform effect to that nest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is known to happen, especially if transform is combined with something else. Consider nesting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, is there a fix coming for this? It's a bug in the software. All these workarounds are cumbersome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, August 2022 and this bug is still not fixed. What do we pay you for monthly?? Buggy software with no solution in sight?
Nesting might resolve the problem, but it reduces your resolution during zoom-in and defeats the advantage of zooming into a higher-res clip.
I'm fed up with buggy software from a company that pockets millions from students and educators every year. This help post was made a full year ago and should have been an easy code fix if it only has to do with sequence/source scaling mismatch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On top of that, Premiere is guaranteed to take a 15 second edit, and turn it into an hour-long headache of having to contact customer support about a basic effect that doesn't work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BB,

Effects construction can be exasperating. Sorry! I think it helps to know that video effects work by mathematics: for example, RGB values get plugged into virtual arrays for some effects. Things like that.

What's not widely known: the math for effects needs to obey a particular order of operations, referred to as the "render order pipeline." To place certain functions before others in the pipeline (when they cannot behave alongside others), they need to reside in parentheses, which (as I understand it) appear to editors as "nests."

I do wonder if you made the nest larger than the native frame size, do you still face the quality issue when scaling?

I am sorry for the frustration; that's what's happening there. I think. All NLEs and mograph programs face similar issues with the render order pipeline.

Continue to file bug reports and feature requests. Some issues might be resolved by background operations or other engineering work.

I sure hope the team can fix your issues with this effects technique.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same case here.

The shutter angle messes up the position of a clip. The only workaround working for me is to nest it and use the transform on the nested clip.

I've tried the Scale to Frame size approach without success.

I'd be grateful if a fix for this year-old issue is provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a pain to always use a nested clip to just have a centered scaling with a shutter angle. I use that kind of animation a lot, so the project gets messed up with workarounds and the render preview becomes slow on every nested clip animation.

Looking forward to a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has not yet been fixed in 22.6, i just discovered it.  Changing shutter angle in Transform effect changes clip position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also experiencing this issue. Read thru the thread and didn't see much help. I went back to work and may have just found a fix for this.

I have a 4k clip in a 1080 sequence at 100%. I dropped the transform effect and set the shutter angle first. Then set my scale + position keyframes. This just worked for me. No weird offset, no nesting, and motion blur is great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines