• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to Obtain Premiere Project Files From Recovered Data

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my problem: My hard drive crashed and the data had to be recovered. The data was recovered, but I cannot locate any of my Premiere project files even though I know there were about hundred on the crashed hard drive. I'm wondering when the data was recovered were the Premiere files converted to another format. If so, what would that format be? If not, is this just a case where the Premiere project files just were not recoverable? 

Any assistance or feedback for this problem would be sincerely appreciated.

RGB

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd ask the Recovery company if they recovered everything.

I assume you've searched your drive for all .prproj files? Have you searched for the names of any projects?

.prproj files are actually zip files so I suppose it's possible some recovery software could have detected this and renamed them to .zip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mike. I didn't think to look into the Zip archive that was part of the recovery. 

There are quite a few number of Zips that I'll have to go through. But that's a great starting point. So, again, much appreciation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you putting your autosaves on the same drive?     I always keep the autosave folder on my media drive and save my projects in a folder on my startup drive that's automatically mirrored on dropbox.     And not sure if the recovery process renamed the .prproj files to .zip that unarchiving the .zip would work.  You might just need to rename the extension to .prproj.  Just guessing on this, so duplicate any .zip files before trying this...    If you want to discuss setting up a safer workflow in the future, post back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your feedback.

I think I've found the zip folders that may contain my Premiere project files by looking at the file size of the zip file. The file size is usually in the MB range, as opposed to the K byte range, Whith that stated, when I try to unzip the file, I get an "Error 79 - Inappropriate File Type or Format" message. And if I change .zip to .prproj and open the file with Premiere, I get a "The files appears to be damaged..." message and it won't open.

I've even tried using thre Mac Terminal to try and open the files, but no luck there either. Any further assistence would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how crazy do you want to make yourself?  Seems to me, there was a way to edit the premiere project files described here a year or so ago so you should be able to view the file and see if it's actually a premiere project...  Do some searching on how to adjust a premiere project so it will open in a previous version of Premiere and you should see how to actually see the contents of the file and edit it...  There was also someone who would "fix" corrupt premiere project files...  If you can't find anything, post back and I'll see if I can find something.  Any excuse not to do the work I should be doing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well...seems I'm about as crazy as I'm going to get. Nothing seems to be working. I am able to unzip what appears to be asset files and folders that are components of a Premiere project, but I'm still unable to unzip and actual Premiere project file. Zip files I think might be Project files when I try to unzip them still give me the "Error 79 - Inappropriate File Type or Format" or "Error -1 - No Such Process" message. Or if I change the .zip extension to .prproj and try to open it, I still get the "The project appears to be damaged, it cannor be opened" message.

Unfortunately, there are over 18,000 Zipped files in my Zip archives folder that were recovered. Even if there were Zip files that are actual Premiere project files in the folder, it seems like I would be searchiung for a needle in a haystack. Just wish I had a powerful enough "magnet" to find that one needle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are programs that will let you look at the contents of a file as text...  and if you look at an actual premiere project file you'll see certain text that should be in these problematic files.   Have you searched the forum for the way to edit a premiere project so it will open in an earlier version of premiere?  That should give you the way to look at the text of the file....  I don't have the time to do this digging for you...  but if you can't find what I'm talking about, maybe someone else can point you in the right direction.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

found this doing a quick google

https://www.mediacollege.com/adobe/premiere/pro/troubleshooter/corrupt-project.html

Look at step 2 for looking into the contents of the premiere project.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

RGB,

I could swear I posted in this thread. But I see it was another thread. Sorry this is a bit rambling, but I known you are, as I would be in the same situation, a bit desperate.

In any event, on the 19th, I did some research and tests on how you might search inside zipped files. There the issue was looking for a sequence name in a .prproj file:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/how-to-locate-missing-timeline-sequence/m-p/...

I concluded it wouldn't work, because apps that will search inside zip archives will only find file names, not text content inside a zipped file.

In any event, you are looking for a filename/extension. This example is out of date, and I have not used it:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/searchinzipfiles/?source=directory But I wonder if there is a method for looking inside a zip file for files named with a .prproj extension.

I'm not convinced you're looking in the right directory for the PR files. The "Zip archive that was part of the recovery" you refer to. Is that a directory created by the recovery people for fragments they located? Or are you referring to a directory you had that was composed of zip files you were saving (archiving)?

I do agree that Mike may be onto something (the recovery service put a problem file in a .zip named container). But it is a long shot. If they did not actually recover a file intact enough for them to get the filename, it is not likely to be intact enough to recover the PR project.

I would talk to the recovery guys and, based on what you now know, tell them what you are looking for. The original filename extension was .prproj. It was zipped file but with that extension. I believe the type of zip file is gzip. That is what I use (on Windows) to rezip a file if being edited for opening in an earlier version of PR. If they found such a file is there a chance they saved it a) in a regular zip archive or b) with a .zip extension rather than .prproj?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines