• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unsupported GPU for CS5

New Here ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all the interest of the "unsupported" GPUs, I thought it was time to start a specific thread.

Please post your questions and experiences.

Hacking is not advised and the unsupported cards are not ready for production use.

You've been warned! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 218 Replies 218
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2010 Jun 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cannot agree more.

but well, i'm building it for my brother who doesn't need 10 layers to paly with but the MPE will come handy for his old CPU.

So I am hoping this could help the overall performance by a great amount before I upgrade his computer to the up coming Intel sandy bridge.

But for the amount of work he has now, the main obstacle is the play back lagging and he can cope with the rest for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I consider it a waste of money to buy a new card on this old machine, that is severly handicapped, when you have perfectly decent cards laying around.

To make another analogy: You don't install a perfectly affordable TomTom or Garmin navigation system on an electrically driven invalid car.

Your brothers system is severly handicapped and probably also in terms of memory, hard disks and other components, that it looks like a complete waste of money when you intend to upgrade his system anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not agree. Stair-stepping is necessary when you're short on funds. From

my experience, I would go with the 250, as per I'm rocking with it now, even

on a slower processor.

Plus, a video card can move over with you easily when you do decide to

upgrade, but it's my belief that you'll actually see such a performance

boost that you may be happy with it for a while.

Another cheaper but awesome option would be upgrading via the AMD route

(check out the AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, lot of bang for the buck). Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered:

I have a 8800GTX, 8800GTS, 8600GT and a 5870 laying here

On another note:

Another cheaper but awesome option would be upgrading via the AMD route

(check out the AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, lot of bang for the buck). Good luck!

so you end up with a system that is at least 5 - 10 times slower than a good performing i7. That puts bang for the buck in another perspective, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advices guys.

I'm terribily sorry for my brother that he has to stuck with a crappy CPU for now and before this 2 weeks of reading, I had no idea his 8800GTS or the 8800GTX I previously have do not work with the MPE. I guess the best route is upgrading for his system sooner or later, but I do hope the new video card can save him some major time at the moment.

And I do like upgrade in the "stair-step" style, this is how I built my i7 and it costed alot less and usually ended up with the best deals for months to come. I really don't like seeng getting ripped off after a week of purchase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2010 Jul 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing is for sure, no nutzoid, in their right

mind is actually buying into any of these +2500.00 Quadro cards, or is it "Quando, quado, quado... baby"

COMON !!! Adobe, da games' up, its OpenCL , embrace a little OpenSource and you got it made in the shade.

Lets GO now, will we ???!!!

-Squeaky Wheel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2010 Jul 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> COMON !!! Adobe, da games' up, its OpenCL , embrace a little OpenSource and you got it made in the shade.

Lets GO now, will we ???!!!

This is a user-to-user forum. In general, Adobe employees don't read these forums (though some do). The best way to make a request for a new or changed feature is to file a feature request. And, yes, we actually read all of those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already have another thread on this topic title "Large Images + MPE Hardware = Decreased Performance?", but I thought I would post it here hoping that someone with or without a supported card would see if they could reproduce my error/bug.  Best practices for using images aside, here is what causes the problem:

1) Create a new project with a HD timeline (I used the DSLR 1080p @ 29.97)

2) Make sure Rendering with CUDA Hardware is Enabled in the project settings.

3) Import at least two images greater than 4,000 pixels along the long edge (Mine are Jpeg @ approx. 4,300 pixels along the long edge).

4) Place both images on track one and apply a cross dissolve of 2 seconds between the images.

5) Animate the images using the intrinsic motion filter keyframing the position and scale.

6) Export the timeline using the "Export" option.

This is where I run into problems.  The timeline comes to a crawl where the cross dissolve is located and most of the time will crash the exporting process.  If you place large images on the timeline and do nothing else to them but apply a cross dissolve, there isn't a problem and the fast CUDA exports are present.  If you animate the scale and position of a large image and don't apply transitions (cross dissolve) there isn't a problem and the fast CUDA exports are present.  The problem only occurs during a combination of large images, animate scale and position, and cross dissolves.

I reduced my images down to 3,800 pixels along the long edge, and everything works great.  I am just curious to see if the problem is specific to my system, using an unsupported card, or CUDA in general.

It would be great if other using the "hack" could give it a go.  I wish I could find someone with a GTX 285 to try it as well, but I guess if people have a supported card they are not reading this thread :-).

Thanks for any help.  It is greatly appreciated.

KMS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KMS, Adobe has admitted in a few different places that there is a "bug" relating to still images and rendering. They've admitted problems with image sequences, and it appears you've uncovered further problems with large animated stills.

If you have After Effects, maybe you could replicate your original project in a comp and render it out. I had a legacy PPro CS4 sequence that would crash on rendering in PPro CS5 that I was able to import and successfully render in AE CS5. And I have found the AE CS5 uses GPU rendering, as well, based upon the GPU load reading on GPU-Z.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As said above, there are known issues with large stills in the timeline,  though I'm not sure if your exact experience has been reported before.  One question, do you see a yellow or red line in the sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I use images around 4,300 pixels on the long edge I get a yellow line on the timeline.  Tried some images from my T2i around 5,200 pixels on the long edge and I get a red line.  My guess is that the images around 4,300 pixels are reaching the threshold for the GPU?  Just a guess.  Images around 3,800 pixels on the long edge do not pose a problem.  As stated before, software mode makes all the problems go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand your posts, regardless of image size so long as you have a yellow line you have no problems. Is this right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's kind of a mixed bag.

Image Size (Long Edge)        Bar Color            Render Export (yes = no problem/no = crash)

3,800                                  Yellow                          Yes

4,300                                  Yellow                          No (crashes at the start of the cross dissolve)

5,300                                  Red                              Yes

Note:  All images render fine in software mode. The observations from above are using the GPU to export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't already, I suggest you file a bug report at http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Even if this is a known problem, you might have some details that will help provide more insight. The Pr development team always welcomes additional data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 20, 2010 Jul 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> If I use images around 4,300 pixels on the long edge I get a yellow line on the timeline.  Tried some images from my T2i around 5,200 pixels on the long edge and I get a red line.  My guess is that the images around 4,300 pixels are reaching the threshold for the GPU?

Sorry it took so long, but here's a post that might clear things up for you:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/07/maximum_dimensions_in_premiere.html

I used the T2i as an example specifically to address your question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did the hack with my newly installed

Palit GeForce GTX 260 Core 216

on an overclocked i7 920 @ 3.2ghz with 6GB of CL7 OCZ triple channel memory and MAN.. This thing is SWEET... Mostly yellow line playing hacked GH1-3 AVCHD footage as smooth as butta... VERY impressive. I'm exporting now to check encoding rates. So far it's awesome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 29, 2010 Jul 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an FYI... my Sr. Network Admin put together a new HP Z800 for me and got a Quadro FX 1800 because he said it met the ram requirement with 768MB. Well of course I'm unable to activate GPU acceleration in PPro. When I ran the GPUSniffer after performing the hack, it said that it was not "choosen" because 765MB was the minimum and the FX 1800 only has 741.

Go figure.  So now it remains to be seen whether or not there's a hack/update/workaround or whatever that will make the GPUSniffer see ALL the ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2010 Jul 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Within this forum you can find a workaround/hack for including your video card.

Doug

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 02, 2010 Aug 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded premiere CS5 on a trial basis. I have got an EVG GTX 285 2GB in my workstation and the installation went on as expected.

After installation I imported some quicktime mov files 1920 x 1080 (stock footage from Actionbacks) 24fps with alpha channel. Apparently Premiere CS5 could not play this in real time, just one layer and with MPE selected! Other files played back smoothly with effects up to 3 layers.

Has anyone encountered this problem at all or can someone replicate it and find out who has got a full licence of Premiere CS5. I want to buy CS5 once the matrox RT X2 drivers are out.

System

• Vista 64 business
  • Xeon E5440 quad 2.83 Ghz
  • 22GB ram
  • RAID 0 3TB
  • EVG GTX 285 2GB GPU
  • CS4 PP
  • Matrox RT X2

Thanx

Shadreck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines