Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using a mask and feathering, also feathers the edges of whatever layer it's on

Contributor ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would this happen at all?

It makes no sense that using the mask now also feathers the edges of my layer -_-

This premiere pro version has just been riddled with the most weird bugs I hope 2020 is better.

Anyone know of anyway to fix this?

Tried in the attached image, placed the mask OUTSIDE the image, used feather, and the image is still feathering. Why Adobe -_-

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Turns out, turning off linear compositing in sequence settings fixes this. Not sure if I explained it properly maybe why you say it's normal but when feathering a mask, the layer shouldn't be getting feathered nowhere near the mask.

Anyway! This fixes it

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of the timeline and the effects panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Effect Controls tab, expend the Mask Feather parameter and change it to zero.

PR Mask Feather.png

Or, click and drag the feather control back toward the mask.

PR-feather-loop.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I need the mask to have a feather....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normal mask feathering behavior goes both in and out from the mask boundaries and that hasn't changed at all. So there's no weird new behavior.

It does make a huge visual difference whether you place the mask on the lower or upper track affected. As always.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not normal haha, the feathering is affecting so far away from the mask boundries.... This is very weird behaviour. Mainly as I've been doing this effect for a long time and I've never had this problem before

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out, turning off linear compositing in sequence settings fixes this. Not sure if I explained it properly maybe why you say it's normal but when feathering a mask, the layer shouldn't be getting feathered nowhere near the mask.

Anyway! This fixes it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you good man for posting the solution once you found it. Not all heroes wear capes. Just had the same issue, turning off linear compositing indeed helps. I don't think anyone alse understood what was the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have what i believe to be the eact same issue, but turning off composite in linear colour did not change anything... Is it a different setting that you guys are talking about

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also try turning off the GPU accelerator, this is a huge pain in the ass though for obvious reasons, but check to see if that makes a difference 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This partially fixed things for me. I still get feathering on the edges but less than before.

I bought a mac thinking Adobe runs better on mac os. In the first week I stumbled upon various bugs in premiere pro, it crashed a few times. Photoshop crashed. Even illustrator which I thought it was the only one stable crashed. Yet we pay hundreds of dolars yearly to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any app can encounter errors on either platform for the same reasons.

The Creative Cloud apps can be stable on either platform for the same reasons as well.

I hope you were able to work out the isues.  It's great to have Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and Premiere Pro open at the same time and the last thing anyone needs is a crash interrupting creative flow between these exceptional programs.

While there's excellent expert help here in the community forums, don't hesitate to start a chat with Adobe support via the chat bubble at the lower right of the support pages.  It can take about an hour or two, but a support agent can verify that your software is installed correctly and launching as expected at no additional charge. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Did you try the suggestions provided above by the experts?

Looking forward for the response.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they didn't work. Turning off linear compositing works though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. This has been p#ssing me off for ages...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have run into this on countless projects and the linear compositioning toggle doesn't fix it. It always happens on the right side of whatever I am masking. See screenshot, the feather is WAY closer on the left but the right side is feathered despite the mask box being nearly out of the frame. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, havec you figured it out by any chance?
In my screenshot you can see the problem, the vertical feather is what I want, but for some reason it's bein feathered on the right side even though the mask boundaries are far outside the frame. 

Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 15.23.30.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a constant frustration for years and now it's 2023! Turning Linear Compositing off makes it harder to see but it's still broken, and it renders in final files.

premiere-feather-from-right-side.jpg

This is why pros get so frustrated with wasting resources fixing things that aren't broken (like the new document and export windows) at the expense of stuff that's actually broken!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was having the same problem. I created a rectangular shape and extended the borders beyond the screen, added a mask and inverted the opacity. Then when I feathered the mask, the right edge of the screen was also feathering. See screenshot: Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 09.57.18.png

But then I adjusted the SCALE to 110 and it pushes the screen edge feathering out. 

Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 10.00.00.png

Pulling the scale down I can see the full rectangular shape, and the outer right edge is clearly feathered (along with the mask inside the rectangle) while the other outer edges are not. Strange.

Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 10.02.44.png

Hope that helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines