Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Variable frame rate mode (under MPEG source settings) greyed out

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to change my video configuration from "Variable frame rate" to "Constant frame rate" using Premiere pro version 12.1.2 (Build 69).

According to adobe help page, VFR to CFR should have been possible from version 12.0.1.

I am able to right click on the clip

----> Source Settings ---> MPEG source settings ----> Variable frame rate mode.

However here the mode is greyed out with "Not Applicable" field.

All my videos are in mp4 format.

Can you please suggest on how to change VFR to CFR using premiere pro. I have spent lot of time troubleshooting this, there is no concrete answer in any of the forums nor there is any steps/tutorial from Adobe. Can you please help!

Thanks,

Priyanka

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Hi Priyanka,

Sorry for the frustration.

• Can you please suggest on how to change VFR to CFR using premiere pro.

There is no way within Premiere Pro to change VFR to CFR. Normally, transcode the clip. Transcoding Media Encoder could work, but often you need to use a third party application, like Handbrake.

Premiere Pro does accept VFR files for playback now, however, and that's the feature I think you may have misunderstood. Go to the Effect Controls tab's "Master" tab.

It looks lik

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

I tried everything: Media Encoeder didn't help, could not find the "MPEG" option, tried the other suggestions here, finally downloaded Handbrake and it worked. You have to go in and click "constant framerate" under video. I saw one comment that you had to manually enter FPS. I don't know if that's right, but I changed to the 29.97 option. And it actually worked.

I'm disappointed that Adobe doesn't offer this option in the Premiere Pro app. it seems like a small "aske" for a very annoying problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Priyanka,

Sorry for the frustration.

• Can you please suggest on how to change VFR to CFR using premiere pro.

There is no way within Premiere Pro to change VFR to CFR. Normally, transcode the clip. Transcoding Media Encoder could work, but often you need to use a third party application, like Handbrake.

Premiere Pro does accept VFR files for playback now, however, and that's the feature I think you may have misunderstood. Go to the Effect Controls tab's "Master" tab.

It looks like this:

Check to see if Premiere Pro detects the clips as a VFR ClipCheck to see if Premiere Pro detects the clips as a VFR ClipIf VFR adjustments are not available to favor audio sync or smooth playback, it is because Premiere Pro does not detect VFR and sees the clip as CFR.

This is not an unreasonable request, however. Make that here: Premiere Pro: Hot (3654 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Come back with any questions.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a source clip that Adobe accuratly identifies as VFR however, the "MPEG Source settings"  and "Preserve Audio Sync" Video Effects are nowhere to be found.  Adobe 2020  v14.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem! I imported my video from my phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I'm up to Premiere Pro 14.0 and I have the same problem. I'm producing a "virtual choir" video, so choir members send me videos recorded on whatever equipment they have (cell phones, tablets, laptops). About 80% of the videos are from cellphones, all claim to detect VFR, and none offer MPEG Source Settings under the Effect Controls panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes, with VFR you can right-click a file and choose Modify/Interpret Footage, and select "Assume this frame rate ... " and set a frame rate, and the file plays better.

Sometimes ... batch converting with HandBrake  is still a better option. Just make sure to set the Video tab there to both check the CFR button and to set a specific number for the frame-rate.

Neil 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having the same issue of being unable to find the "MPEG Source Settings" in the Effects Controls panel. I appreciate that you have given a few work arounds to the problem, but do you know if I'll be able to access these settings now?

I'm working in Adobe Premiere Pro 2020 v14.2

Thanks in advance

-Cobalt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've no clue what "Mpeg Source Settings" you are mentioning is.

This thread is about using VFR (variable frame-rate media) in Premiere. It can play some VFR media adequately, but for most editing purposes it is still wise to convert all VFR media to CFR in Handbrake as mentioned above.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-work-with-variable-frame-rate-vfr-media-in-pr...

In this FAQ, an Adobe Employee shows that we should be able to access MPEG Source Settings in the Effects Controls tab, where we should have the option to select Preserve Audio Sync or Smooth Video Motion

-Cobalt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For VFR I've used in Premiere, it's "detected" that media as VFR some of the time, often, not. I've never seen a clip that had the Master clip tab available for VFR media. So thanks for including that link, now I know that at some point with some clip I might be able to set something there.

So ... it's technically possible to have Premiere note and allow some modification of VFR media, but I think much of the time Premiere still doesn't work well with VFR clips.

I'm a realist, I just wanna get to work and get the job done as well as possible in a reasonable amount of time. What always ... always! ... works?

Spend a couple minutes opening Handbrake, and applying the preset I've created to batch convert a whole folder of clips. If there's quite a few, I do that at end-of-day. That way I come in the next day, I can start working in Premiere with clips that are decent to edit with ... at least as far as H.264 can be.

I wish Handbrake would allow ProRes, Cineform, or DNxHD/R, some decent intraframe codec, but ... it's only long-GOP but oh well. At least it's not VFR anymore.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that isn't at all an answer. Do you make editing software that can do this? is it a no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chris,

Sorry you didn't find my answer acceptable. Yes, I can edit most VFR files in Premiere Pro. More info.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is VFR file with no source settings. What i need to to to see option to change source settings? 

Moonkiss5C75_0-1603821125289.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I've seen YT videos of the "preserve audio sync" option in the master tab for MPEGS's, but can't find it. I have detected VFR clips yet I have no master tab or PAS option. I'm on a Mac, version 15.4 Still no solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried everything: Media Encoeder didn't help, could not find the "MPEG" option, tried the other suggestions here, finally downloaded Handbrake and it worked. You have to go in and click "constant framerate" under video. I saw one comment that you had to manually enter FPS. I don't know if that's right, but I changed to the 29.97 option. And it actually worked.

I'm disappointed that Adobe doesn't offer this option in the Premiere Pro app. it seems like a small "aske" for a very annoying problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @sunshinegrrl,

Sorry about that. To explain, some format issues are not solvable with Adobe encoder and decoder software that is customized for pro level media and supported formats in Premiere Pro. If you use media from mobile devices, drones, or streaming video, VFR frame rates may be too far out of spec for those encoder and decoders written by Adobe. Handbrake and Shutter Encoder (my preferred app) uses Open Source encoders and decoders (based on what's called "FFMPEG") that Adobe does not use for reasons that are not known to me. 

I, too, hope that someday Adobe can spend the time, money, and man hours to bring the internal software into spec for those non-supported VFR media files that are more out of spec or find some way to incorporate FFMPEG into the software. It's a bit above my pay grade, but I can suggest it again to them on behalf of users. So sorry for the frustration, but you'll find that Handbrake, Shutter Encoder, and even some paid apps are crucial to getting certain work done. 

Thanks.
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines