• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very Laggy Premiere Pro on Powerful PC

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, first of all I'm not very good with Premiere pro so I do not know if this is normal. I's using Premiere pro to edit recordings of games. I have started recently to record longer videos, more than 60 minutes up to a few hours. When I edit videos I usually import the file , I wait for it to comform and than I start to edit, I'm not doing complex stuff, just cut parts of the video. In the source window I just click on the time and than I move my mouse to the left or right, when I have a short video, for like 30 min , the video works perfectly fine, the image doesn't freeze, even if I skip a big portions of the video,. When I have a longer video, when I scroll through the first 50 60 min of the video it works perfectly fine but when I try to scroll after like one hour, the image is very laggy and the image freezes when I scroll quick trough the video and when I have a video for like 3 hours, i really cannot edit, the image just freezes even when I move frame by frame. I have an HDD and an SSD and the problem happens on both of them.

So basically if i have a 4 hour long video and I need only two minutes from like the last hour of the video, is really slow, i scroll i wait for the image to load and than i scroll again and so on, but if i need from the first hour, the video works perfectly fine. Is this normal ?

This is my PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Marian006/saved/jg2YTW

I'm running Windows 10 64 Bit

I have the latest Nvidia drivers: 417.71

The premiere pro version that I'm using is : 13.0.2 (Build 38)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a bizzare problem to have.
The only thing I can think of is that your video might have few to no I-frames. So the longer it plays, the more decoding is needed to see what the frame should look like. But that... shoudln't be possible..?

What file format are you using?

Try transcoding it into another format.

Also, if I had this issue and couldn't diagnose it, I'd just cut the video into hour-long segments, re-export each one, and use those for my editing instead.

Also, if you have the legacy titler open, make sure to close it while you're editing.

Lumetri scopes, and the Audio track mixer, might also slow down video playback a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm recording with OBS when i play on my PC and with Elgato HD60 when I play on PS4. The file format I'm using for both is mp4.I will use Handbrake tonight to change one of the videos from mp4 to mkv and I will let you know tomorrow if it worked.

And at the moment I actually set up my alarm every 50 min so i can stop the video recording, just so I can edit the video without lagging.

And also, I have no idea what I-frames are.

Thanks for the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marian,

Do you have a mic attached to your computer? Unplug it, check Audio Hardware preferences for correct settings. Then restart Premiere Pro. How are things behaving now? If you're trying to transcode, try using an editing codec, like ProRes LT or 422. MKV is not even supported.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I should note that the Downgrading to 2018 has solved all my problems too, and I work for a broadcast.

Yes. All my hardware is upto date with drivers. Yes, I downloaded NVIDIA's latest CUDA kit. Yes, I have sought out possible interferences, such as old drivers, etc.

Premiere 2019 is a mess, gentlemen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't go to .mkv. Pretty sure Premiere can't handle it.

Try, uh... .avi, maybe?

or maybe .mov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in the end I found a simpler solution, it seems that only Premiere Pro 2019 has this problem, I installed an older version, from 2018, and it works perfectly fine, I dont even need to wait for the video to comform, it doesnt freezes at all.

Thank for your replies anyway, just to answer you, no I dont have a mic connected and also I had lumetri scopes and the other things closed, no idea what the exact problem was, but if Premiere Pro 2018 works , thats fine by me .

Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines