• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video and audio tracks unlinking on their own?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2015 Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anybody experienced this very bizarre problem with Premiere Pro CC 2015.0.2? (I'm using Mac OS X 10.10.5.)

Several times per day while working with Premiere Pro, the "linked selection" option randomly stops working. The only solution that I have found for this is to completely quit & relaunch Premiere Pro... but then the problem comes back a little while later.

The problem is this: Even though the "Linked Selection" option is selected for my timeline, if I click on a video clip, the linked audio clip DOES NOT automatically select with it! If I click on an audio clip, the linked video clip DOES NOT automatically select with it! Even if I hold down the option key, the video & audio clips will not select together. This happens for ALL THE CLIPS IN THE ENTIRE SEQUENCE! I am forced to quit & relaunch Premiere Pro, and then the problem is fixed... for a little while.

Please see the 2 screenshots below.

The 1st screenshot shows WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN when I select either a linked video clip or a linked audio clip in the timeline -- the 2 clips (audio + video) are selected together.

Screen_Shot_2015-10-10_at_9_39_08_AM.png

The 2nd screenshot shows WHAT OFTEN HAPPENS RANDOMLY ON ITS OWN. Premiere Pro will just randomly decide to select the clip that I click on -- without also selecting the linked audio or video clip! Once this starts happening, it happens for ALL THE CLIPS IN THE ENTIRE SEQUENCE! Then, I am forced to quit & relaunch Premiere Pro -- and the problem fixes itself.

Screen_Shot_2015-10-10_at_9_12_23_AM.png

Thoughts on how to prevent this problem from happening?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

An old thread - but I've also experienced this with CC 2017...

My feeling is it is related somehow to the Ctrl-K (windows) shortcut for making a razorblade cut, as mentioned above.

This is a bug that needs to be squished...  heading over to the bug report form.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this problem.  I notice it mostly when I'm using the cmd-K shortcut to make a cut in both the audio and video of a linked clip.  It frequently happens that only the audio or only the video is cut and this essentially makes the shortcut useless as I then have to either ctr-click on the clip to select "link" from the context menu and then cmd-K again or use my mouse to manually blade the portion of the clip that was not cut.  Surprising how frequently this has been happening in the past couple of days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very interesting. I never knew about that command-K shortcut, so this strange "unlinking problem" seems to be happening under a WIDE VARIETY of circumstances. Surely, this must be a gigantic bug in Premiere Pro. And I'm pulling all my hair out over this one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found (at least in Windows) that you do not have to select any tracks for the Ctrl-K (command-K in Mac) shortcut to make a cut whenever to move to a spot on the timeline. But if you wish to make a cut on different items in the timeline, you have to choose the tracks.

Also, you can link by right clicking the centre icon under the time code in the timeline. See circled grarphic.Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much... what I'm referring to is that our video & audio tracks in the sequence will just automatically unlink on their own, without any interaction on our part at all. For example, we will be working in a sequence where all the video & audio clips are linked. Then, we will work in a few other sequences in the project... then, when we come back to the original sequence later, many of the clips have been linked. The "linked selection" button is already highlighted. (We're also not accidentally pressing command-L, either, which would unlink clips.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encountered this unintentional unlinking of previously linked clips this morning.  I have a seven minute sequence made up mostly of linked interview clips.  When I scan the sequence, I notice that most of the clips have the "" next to the video track name -- indicating that it's linked to the audio beneath it.  But I also see that many of the clips no longer have this "" and have, without any action on my part, become unlinked. I'm going through them each individually and choosing link in the context menu.  Strange.

Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 9.21.52 AM.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. If I link them with CLIP>LINK   they immediately unlink themselves. This is a real problem. Is there any fix in sight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On our end, the clips automatically unlink themselves without us doing ANYTHING in the program! The clips just have a mind of their own -- unlinking on their own. This is definitely a huge bug in the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone figured this issue out? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An old thread - but I've also experienced this with CC 2017...

My feeling is it is related somehow to the Ctrl-K (windows) shortcut for making a razorblade cut, as mentioned above.

This is a bug that needs to be squished...  heading over to the bug report form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Others on this thread to log this same bug to help the product team weigh its importance: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this thread's last response was in March. Just updated premiere last night and am now encountering same problem. Most of my sequences in my current project have linked clips but the one I am working on now has all clips unlinked which is a total hassle. Guess that bug still needs to be squished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running Windows or Mac? Because I only have experienced this bug on Mac. Both systems are running CC2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chris.

Running windows 10 pro, 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also having this same issue in CC2017 on Win 10 pro 64-bit.

Just opened a project I hadn't worked on in a few weeks and in one sequence *all* the video clips are unlinked from their audio component without me having done anything.

And the worst part is, there's no option to select all and then hit re-link. You have to go back and do each clip individually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MelissaD,

Sorry about the pain. We have a similar bug filed but I would like more info, if you don't mind. What kind of footage is this with? Which camera was the footage shot on? Was this a new project or an updated one? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, I'm having the same issue with footage randomly unlinking on the timeline.  Also copy and paste linked media from a different sequence is pasting as unlinked.  Footage is AVCHD, project is a new one.  Hope that helps

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

How strange. Are you importing the AVCHD footage via the Media Browser?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes it is being imported via the media browser.  This problem is also happening on both our PC and Mac machines. 

It's hard to say what is triggering it. - Certainly copying clips between sequences reproduces the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey can you please tell me if this bug has been identified and is in the queue to be resolved, it's very annoying and time consuming having to re-link all the clips individually each time they are unlinked.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am having the same problem.

Premiere 2017 Windows 10 all my videos and audios are unlinked by default and worse is that I cannot, link them manually. If i select a video and an audio then righ click select 'link' they dont link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm have the same issue with Premiere 2017 Windows 10.  When I drag a clip into the timeline, and without manually unlinking, the audio and video move independently. NOT Ideal! It's helpful when I don't want the clips linked, but I generally work with audio and video in sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure this will be the "perfect" fix, but it did seem to clear up most of the linking issues I've been having:

"Linked Selection toggle button available from Timeline

Premiere Pro provides a Linked Selection command that can be applied to all open sequences in the Timeline panels. You can use the Linked Selection command as a toggle that you can turn on and off. Linked Selection is turned on by default. 

The Linked Selection command is available as a button from the Timeline, and from the Sequence menu. You can also assign a keyboard shortcut to this feature.

When Linked Selection is turned on, clicking a linked clip in the Timeline automatically selects all the associated tracks. For example, if you click the video part of a linked A/V clip, the audio is automatically selected.

When Linked Selection is turned off, only the single track item that you click is selected, and not all the associated tracks.

You can temporarily override a toggle state by pressing Alt (Win) or Opt (Mac) while selecting the track. For example, if Linked Selection is turned on, and you press Alt (Win) or Opt (Mac) while selecting a linked clip, only the single track that you click is selected."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem of unlinking video and audio while using ctrl-k to cut in Premiere v.12 windows 10 64bit regardless of linking toggle turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having this issue today I've tried everything and my linked selection is on and it still will not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines