• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video playback doesn't work; crashes program.

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open Premiere, the program works fine. Projects will load. I can access the drop-down menus. I can close projects and open new ones.

When I try to play a video, the Play button turns to the Stop button, but the video won't play. Then Premiere crashes. This happens in the source clip window (I hope that's what it's called) and the sequence viewer.

A friend more computerly inclined informed me that DVDfab, which I had recently installed, may have done something bad. Or it might have been a screen-recording program I installed. I uninstalled both apps and tried to find and delete any associated files.

I've also uninstalled and reinstalled Premiere, as well as the Creative Cloud launcher. I checked for driver updates. And I tried one or two other things my friend suggested, although I can't recall atm what those were.

My situation, as it were: Premiere Pro CC 2018; Windows 10 Home; AMD FX 8320 Eight-core processor, 3.50 GHz; 16 gigs DDR3 RAM, HyperX; nvidia gforce gtx 750 graphics card.

As for source video, mostly .avi, but I've tried other formats that don't work, either.

There's no error code that I've seen. And this happens with older projects that have worked fine in the past, as well as new projects I've created since this problem popped up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Sorry for taking so long to get back to everyone. I did try all of the suggestions above, but none of them fixed the problem. Or I didn't do something right, which is also possible.

What I ended up doing was formatting my hard drive and reinstalling Windows. It's something I'd been wanting to do for a while anyway, as I'd installed and uninstalled a lot of big and small programs since I got my current machine, and it was starting to slow down.

Plus, I'm starting to look for freelance work and wil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Dec 31, 2017 Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had similar trouble with older versions of prmiere in the past. 3 main-reasons:

1. corrupted cash. solution: clean up cash maually FAQ: How to clean media cache files?

2. audio (an Achilles heel of premiere): a mix of audiotracks with different khz caused crashes in projects of mine in the past, especially in Multitrack Sequnces.

3. plugins like red giant. but in my experience usually only when they are applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2017 Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start with Step 2B below.  Report back.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had exactly the same problem.
Tried everything as well nothing worked, until I did this:

- Uninstall Premiere Pro
- Go to the adobe folder in documents where your projects are stored.
- Backup your projects and all the other files you need
- Delete the whole 'premiere pro' map and the 'media encoder' map
- Go to appdata in your system (run: %appdata%) , then go to adobe, delete the 'common' folder
- Within the appdata adobe folder there is another 'adobe' folder, within this folder delete the 'common' folder as well.
- Install premiere pro again

NOTE: this will erase all your preferences, plugins, etc, if you want to save any of those, back them up and paste them in after the fresh installation. I'm not sure if it's necessary to delete all of those folders, but this was the only way it worked for me.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ChristopherF,

Are you still having trouble? Have you tried what SamuelG suggested? This basically corrects faulty permissions. Please try it.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for taking so long to get back to everyone. I did try all of the suggestions above, but none of them fixed the problem. Or I didn't do something right, which is also possible.

What I ended up doing was formatting my hard drive and reinstalling Windows. It's something I'd been wanting to do for a while anyway, as I'd installed and uninstalled a lot of big and small programs since I got my current machine, and it was starting to slow down.

Plus, I'm starting to look for freelance work and will (hopefully) be using this machine for jobs. So I wanted to clear out all the cobwebs and start over with a more discerning attitude toward what I install from now on.

Thanks everybody for taking the time to offer some guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines