• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Whats new in Adobe CS6 Production Premium? Im glad you asked!

Advocate ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 will surprise and delight everyone here. PrP and AE have worked on the basics and added new tools. I am so excited to see everyones reaction at NAB this year.

http://success.adobe.com/en/na/programs/events/1203_16108_nab.html

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 130 Replies 130
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"thanks to the enhanced Mercury Playback Engine, the new Uninterrupted Playback feature lets you make color corrections while your footage plays."

I love that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

"thanks to the enhanced Mercury Playback Engine, the new Uninterrupted Playback feature lets you make color corrections while your footage plays."

I love that.

Yep, that's going to be awesome. I seriously have 2 projects starting NEXT WEEK on the edit bay and I can't tell you how excited I would be if the CS6 upgrade was in place in time for those projects. I can already see about a 15-20% time savings on those projects just with a handful of the features being touted for the new release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 15, 2012 Apr 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope they implemented "no auto save while image plays."  That is very annoying.

Jim Simon wrote:

I love that.

I also don't see any mention of being able to save or copy and paste audio filter settings.  That's a very needed, and I would say basic function.

However, I am so looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is this mayor bug from CS 5.5 (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3935647) repaired in CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> is this mayor bug from CS 5.5 (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3935647) repaired in CS6?

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope I just missed it, but please tell me we can use more than 4 cameras in multi-cam like every other pro editor out there. We've been holding out on this for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can use more than 4 camera. Performance will depend on your edit system and the kind of clips in your multicam sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at this tute by Todd http://www.video2brain.com/en/play-product-321.htm#/?video_id=13065

And he has many more very nice presentations on the new features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be upgrading for Speed Grade. I wonder if the adjustment layers and custom buttons will function like Avid's?

I'm hoping they have some kind of shortcut to add transitions without having to drag them from the effects panel. If you could assign them a custom button that would be a huge time saver.

Otherwise having to upgrade every year or two is kind of expensive!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping they have some kind of shortcut to add transitions without having to drag them from the effects panel. If you could assign them a custom button that would be a huge time saver.

You can now double-click an effects and it will add it to all selected clips on the timeline. That's a new feature to CS6. However, there have always been shortcuts for the default transitions for audio tracks and video tracks, and you can specify what the default transitions are (as well as the default duration). That functionality has been around for almost a decade in Premiere Pro. As far as I know, there are no shortcut options beyond the default transition (which, again, you can select from ANY transitions).

Otherwise having to upgrade every year or two is kind of expensive!

Yeah, it is, but if you're using it as a basis for your employment - or self-employment - then it should only require a couple of gigs to pay it off, and usually the features in each version do help to justify the upgrade cost in terms of time savings alone (Mercury certainly paid for itself in my books, very quickly, too).

There's also the Creative Cloud option where you can pay-as-you-go, only subscribing for the software on those months where you know you will need it for a certain project or projects. If you're not using the software frequently, that may be your best option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christian Jolly, did you not read my first sentance where I plan to upgrade for SpeedGrade? Or did you forget that by the end of my post?

As I said the abilty to apply a custom transition to a button like you can in Avid would be huge. I'm aware of applying defult transitons, changing the default duration, etc.  Still, I would like to see more options for saving preset transitions and the ability to apply them. I don't think this is a lack of comprehention on my part, as your post implies,  but a lack of function on the progrmas part, or is there some way to save preset transitions that I"m not aware of?

I understand the increased productivity with each upgrade. I just bought this less than a year ago and already time to upgrade before I've been able to pay for the software. I think people will need to consider the accelerated upgrade cost when trying to get started. Maybe have a break on the first upgrade within a year of purchase, but it's more important to you for Adobe to make more millions than for the little guy to catch a break every now and then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the increased productivity with each upgrade. I just bought this less than a year ago and already time to upgrade before I've been able to pay for the software. I think people will need to consider the accelerated upgrade cost when trying to get started. Maybe have a break on the first upgrade within a year of purchase, but it's more important to you for Adobe to make more millions than for the little guy to catch a break every now and then?

Its not compulsory or obligatory to upgrade.  Many do not do so on every advance  and stick with a version they can afford or are comfortable with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Its not compulsory or obligatory to upgrade.  Many do not do so on every advance  and stick with a version they can afford or are comfortable with."

I had that much figured out.  Try reading my first sentence where I'm upgrading for SPEED GRADE!!

Thanks for both of you for ruining my experince of posting here.

In fact I would appreciate no more condesending and negative comments directed at me. If you have something to contribuite to the subject, please do state them without latching onto me.  Keep in mind I was just posting my observations on the new release of 6.0 of which I own the Master Suite. If you want to take your problems out on someone please go some place else that is more suitable for imature behavior. Otherwise I'm not responding to any more trolls.

There was considerable backlash with Adobe's most recent upgrade strategy. I stated my perspective. If you have a differnt perspective please state it without latching on to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Relax. 

Nothing condescending or negative in what I posted and not meant to offend in anyway.

I was simply only stating what I know others do about upgrade cycles of the product.

Understand entirely that you are upgrading for Speed Grade.  ( So am I...but I am not complaining about it.)

In fact I cant wait to write the cheque and get to work in the new version.

FWIW - one edit gig will repay the investment.  I would be worried about my business if it took a year to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the responses voiced to your comments were more general than personal in nature, and not all that negative.  You stated that upgrading every year or so is expensive.  Others responded with their perspective.

As for the bit about default transitions, you're initial post made it seem like you wanted a way to add transitions to the timeline that didn't involve dragging.  Christian was responding to that.  I don't think he was trying to be condescending.

For the most part, recent posts have been civil and adult.  I'd like it to stay that way.  In that spirit, I edited out your insult of shooternz.  Please continue to express your ideas, opinions and suggestions.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I don't see the problem with my original post. I thought it was  obvious that Premier was well behind both FCP 7 and Avid when it came to applying transistions? Even to change and apply a default transition is more criptic than it should be.  I said I hope the buttons are like Avids, but perhaps you aren't famaliar with this function of Avids? I followed that up with the lack of saving custom transitions, but no one responded to that, and instead continued to take issue with my concerns for the cost of upgrading. I think these are ligitimate concerns and thought the response were snide and took my post out of context.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I don't see the problem with my original post. I thought it was  obvious that Premier was well behind both FCP 7 and Avid when it came to applying transistions?

If you feel that PR CS6 is well behind FCP7 and Avid, why consider upgrading? Only for Speedgrade? Well, that is your choice. But it makes not much sense to me if you feel that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If you feel that PR CS6 is well behind FCP7 and Avid, why consider upgrading? Only for Speedgrade? Well, that is your choice. But it makes not much sense to me if you feel that way."  Because I've invested in PrPro and would rather make a simple suggestion for it to be improved rather than purchase new software. I mean why bother suggesting that an individual should or shouldn't upgrade? I purchased the software with the intentions of keeping it upgraded. That's why I don't want more than one NLE for example because then I would need to keep that upgraded as well. Furthermore, it was after I purchased the software that Adobe accelerated their upgrade cycle. So what's the big deal if someone is concerned about the expense of upgrading? I don't think that would be good planning or a wise investment to purchase professional software and not keep it upgraded, especially given Adobe's whemsical policy that changes every several months.   But yes at least with this upgrade we are getting a professional color grading program. I might also hope for scopes in the AE but don't want to keep complaining too much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Custom transitions would be very nice indeed. Many (or most) 3rd party transitions have built-in custom preset capabilities, but the stock PPro transitions can't be loaded up as a preset. So I agree that would be a good feature. I'd also add that it's not necessarily a feature that I personally would use very often since most of the stock transitions that I use are not really customizable anyway (dissolve, dip to white/black). That's about 99% of the time. When I do use more customizable transitions, it's usually a 3rd party one from NewBlueFX and PPro doesn't directly access the settings that NewBlue puts in there (it just reads the data) so using a custom transition preset wouldn't work there, either, unless NewBlue decides to change the way they write their transitions.

There have been many requests on these boards for transition presets over the years but I have no idea how many people have actually filed a feature request. I personally have not because, as I mentioned, it's not really something I'd even use very often.

I'd also debate on whether or not it is obvious that PPro is "well behind" FCP7 and Avid (assumping Media Composer) when it comes to anything. All of the 3 major NLEs from Apple, Avid and Adobe have their big strengths that make the others seem useless (Avid has great media management and interoperability with multiple edit installations, Apple has....Color? and Adobe has native support and GPU leveraging....these are just quick examples). None of them is perfect by any stretch. If that were true, you'd not have heard anyone complaining the last few years when FCP7 didn't get any updates (and then the uproar over FCPX of course). If Media Composer was so amazing and perfect, then there will never be a Media Composer 7 released. Ever. Again, they all have strengths and weaknesses, most of which are documented by the users of course.

Regarding upgrade costs, I think the point that was being made was that as Premiere Pro is a professional editing tool, there is an assumption that it is being used for professional editing work, which generally is dozens of projects each year, each paying out hundreds of dollars a pop. Obviously everyone has different rates of pay and frequency of gigs, but I think it would be safe to assume that the average professional editor is paying for each upgrade within one or two projects, and still leveraging the application for an additiona 1-2 years of product cycle. Point is, I make a lot of money using Premiere Pro, and I am not even in the high-end gigs myself. If Adobe hadn't accelerated it's release cycle, then they'd pay the price. The cycles for technology and software are very rapid now compared to what it was a few years ago, so releasing a new update only every 2-3 years is a guaranteed route to failure in this industry. Adobe is only doing what they MUST do to survive, compete and win in their business. As a result, we benefit by having access to some of the most up-to-date tools available to our profession.

I do agree with you that it seems that Adobe's "policy" has changed more than 2 or 3 times in the last 2 years, but the route that they've settled on is going to be the way of business going forward, or until it proves unprofitable (that is, software as a service, via the Creative Cloud). Individual perpetual licensing will persist as long as necessary, but only time and subscription rates will tell how long that ends up being. But that's the horse they are hitched to for now.

I did not upgrade to CS5.5 because there was really only one feature that would have improved upon my workflow in CS5 and it was the Adobe Media Encoder drag-and-drop capability. Still, I've always upgraded to the newest full-integer releases going back to 6.0 (2001 or so?) and that will be true again with CS6, although possibly this time via the Creative Cloud. For you, if there is one must-have feature in CS6 and it DOES justify the additional upgrade expense, and you think it'll pay for itself in spite of whatever features DIDN'T make it into this version, then you ought to upgrade. Again, no software is perfect, and never will be. I think Adobe has come really close, however, with CS5 and CS6 should be another good step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the informative post. While, I probably have the least experience than anyone else in this thread, I am working hard trying to get to the next level. I'm also having to weigh out what to invest in to make a go of being a profesional which might include upgrading camera gear, etc, or not and just going for editing. That also might the trend of the industry, where individuals do more for less money and editing is just one hat you have to wear. I tend to agree with all of your points but did want to point out that I only claimed that FCP 7 and Avid were ahead in the abilty to apply transitions. In no way did I imply that as a whole PrPro or Adobe was inferior to any other NLE. This is the software I purchased because I thought it was better than Apple and Avid. Keep in mind also that I started last summer on FCP 7 at our local tech college and transfered what I learned to PrPro. I'm also learning Color which I transfer to ColorFinese, AE. The collge was set up on Macs so even half way through the semester Soundtrack Pro no longer works because it's not supported anymore and we have to switch over to Audition. To be honest, I learned how to change the default transiiton duration in PrPro but then couldn't find it again in the menu. Really not hard but it all kind of adds up. What I would like is to save 3 or 4 transtions such as cross disolves each with a different duration, and simply apply one to each cut as I work in the timeline. However, the title tool is much better than FCP 7, etc. I like that because everything is in one place, so no need to find some obscure preference setting in the menu. FCP can be bad about that as well and it can be a challege to learn all these at one time.

I don't want to see Abobe fall behind with not upgrading their software. I also respect that editors who are making a profit want to see more frequent upgrades, but as you indicted they are also concerned with the value of the increased performance. Also if you wait to upgrade it will cost more. I think the issue I raised is also valid because Abobe also needs to be a good option for individuals like myself who are just getting started. And I don't think the solution is simply not to upgrade. The start up cost has to be factored in for these cusomers as well.

At least for me Speed Grade will go a long way to the upgrade cost. I was looking at other CC software and this will the best option for me, although I already have a very effective CC workflow. In fact I woder how many people here even have a decent CC workflow?

Adobe has also announced it will upgade every odd and even year for 5.5 - 6.0. But what if it really isn't woth it and there really isn't any major improvement? What is the point? Shouldn't they upgrade based on the merit of the value they are offering and not every year?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very glad to see this thread return to a civil, reasoned discussion.  As for the upgrade fee, for those on CS5, the upgrade of the entire suite to 5.5 can now be found for less than $400 -- and that includes a free upgrade to 6.0 when available. How can that be seen as pricey by anyone not just doing home movies of the kids??  I think as long as the very productive Adobe elves keep pushing the software to new heights with new apps, tools, features and refinements, everyone is happily along for the ride. But the strong resentment would kick in if the monthly fee cloud approach ever leads to an arrogant or complacent Adobe that lets things stagnate like Avid and Apple have done at one point or another over the years, only to suffer the consequences.

As for transitions presets, I agree it should be easier.  But since they can be copied and pasted onto other edit points, the best workaround I might suggest you try would be to create a sequence that contains all of the transitions, effects, graphics, titles, etc. that you use on a regular basis. Then import that sequence into each new project you start and the needed settings and assets should follow, ready to copy. The only catch is that unless this was a 32-64 bit issue going into 5.0, or was addressed in 5.5 or 6, some settings don't always make the import trip completely intact. Worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isladers66.

I use to post a lot of ignorant things when i first started posting. I would ask things that if i had just spent 20 extra minutes on maybe i would have figured it out.

There is no force that makes you upgrade accept client demand and maybe "i just want it". I personally use both FCP6 and Premier cs5. The 5.5 update was not enticing to me and i normally do not do half upgrades.

This business cost a lot of money and when you can you should save yourself from jumping every year. I personally on upgrade every 2 years which started in 2010.

My philosiphy is:

What you do with what you have is much more important than what you could do with what you dont have.

So max out your systems capabilities before you get ANOTHER app. It will save you tens of thousands of dollars.

Masters cs6 is worth the dollars. and so will cs7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be safe to assume that the average professional editor is paying for each upgrade within one or two projects

Man, I must be in the poorest market in the country.  At the rates I'm forced to charge, I'm lucky if I can pay off the suite with several dozen projects.

This is not the first time I've seen such a viewpoint form other professionals.  If anyone is willing to share their rate sheets, I'd love to get a PM from you, just for comparison purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man, I must be in the poorest market in the country.  At the rates I'm forced to charge, I'm lucky if I can pay off the suite with several dozen projects.

This is not the first time I've seen such a viewpoint form other professionals.  If anyone is willing to share their rate sheets, I'd love to get a PM from you, just for comparison purposes.

I don't mind quoting here on the forum. It's not private info, I give it out to every client who asks, happy to give it to a fellow producer.

Production and post-production labor rates are identical...$500/$35/$100 for full/half/hourly. I generally don't charge for pre-production planning unless it is extensive (usually stuff like complete storyboard work and/or scripting) but my rates for pre-production are lower, $400/$250/$75.

Keep in mind, many producers don't have an hourly rate, it's half or whole day or nothing at all.

I also bill out production gear separately because it keeps my rates lower for people who subcontract us for a shoot where gear is supplied and we just show up and operate. Generally a camera package adds $100/day flat for any production, wireless mic kit is $75/day flat, 3-point light kit is $75/day flat (I use inexpensive Lowel brand kits).

Anyway, as you can see, one job is usually enough to cover my upgrade costs. Doesn't mean I don't still try to get it on the cheap (I used a 15% off coupon on the Adobe store the day after CS5 came out...saved me $80 or something like that. I bought a chili cheese dog to celebrate.

EDIT - for what it's worth, I'm neither the most accomplished nor the most expensive producer in the area. But we're not surrounded by millionaires around here....Jeff Bellune can attest to the penny-pinching nature of folks in our state. If it's not "on sale" or 50% off, people feel like they're being ripped off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, mine are off.  I'm lucky to get $30/hr. in my market  One company I work with has over 225 stores in 6 states, but they're so cheap, I have to charge them $20/hr. to get the work.

And now they even want to start bidding projects out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines