• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I open a folder in the project panel as a new panel it's part off-screen and unmovable!

Contributor ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so odd: I open a bin in the project panel (typically my footage bin), as a new panel (I like to have thumbnails/'icon view' for identifying footage and want both tabbed together for fast switching), but it opens with the top bit (ie the bit needed to move the panel) off screen! This makes it impossible to move and the only way I can work out how to rectify it is by mirroring my displays, which brings it all together and then changing PP workspace and then switching back. It's incredibly frustrating and makes no sense at all.

Can anyone help?

My system is:

MacPro 5,1 6 core 3.66GHz 48GB RAM

GTX680 Mac Edition (CUDA fully disabled and removed)

2x Dell UP2516D + 1x HP LP2475w (preview screen)

OSX 10.13.3

PP 12.0.1 (build 69) - ie latest

All other CC apps fully updated too

This problem is peculiar to PP in its latest iteration only. My system seems very stable and rarely has any issues at all. High Sierra works very well for me.

Any ideas, much appreciated!

Dominic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

BIG DEVELOPMENT!!!!!!

I just stumbled across an ACTUAL SOLUTION, which makes no sense but is working:

I put my cursor at the edge of the panel the top of which had opened off screen (thus rendering it immovable) and said cursor changed to indicate it could widen the panel, as expected. HOWEVER, when I dragged it in desperation THE WHOLE PANEL MOVED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once I could see the whole thing I tried again and it acted as expected by widening the panel only, but I tried again and was able to move

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas as to how to force a new panel to appear where it can actually be accessed and moved? Is it possible to set a default area or size for a new panel?

Am I the only one who has experienced (and is still experiencing) this?

Thanks for any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the answer provided in this forum query: Workspace turns gray

The point is to reset your workspaces (i.e. layouts). That might open the floating panel in a better place on your monitor. Do you often connect your machine to different monitors between sessions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Working on 3 screens and when I disconnect them and return to one screen before saving, closing and quitting, when I open project again on one screen (or with other screens connected,) one panel remains elusively out of reach and only the bottom right hand corner is visible but cannot be accessed. CC12.0.1 (Build 69) on Macbook pro 10.12.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jd35747024​ Create a "Three Monitor" workspace where everything is where you want things to be on each monitor. Before (or maybe also after) disconnecting from them, switch to the standard Editing workspace before doing a final save or Close Project. Later when you relaunch the app and open your project, it should open in the standard, one-monitor workspace since that's how you saved it. After you connect to your other monitors, switch to your Three Monitor workspace. That should restore things as they were originally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stefan.

I tried that but kept having same issue. The other fix mentioned for grey screen to create “old_” folder has worked…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the input, Stefan.

Unfortunately that doesn't work at all - I get exactly the same result, but it has reset where I had fixed it too! New folder now deleted and 'OLD' reinstated!

I suspect the problem lies in somehow, my PP is defaulting (in its mind only) to 1920x1200 for its main window on my second screen, whilst being aware of the screen being 2560x1440 and thinking that the window is just appearing somewhere else on screen - ie when I scale my window to full screen, this does not register in PP beyond 1920x1200, thus the window appears proportionately off my actual screen. Does that make sense?

I can find and dock the panel when I gather and mirror my screens, as I do have a 1920x1200 screen as my third, monitoring, screen.

I think this is a bug and have reported it, but only just this second came up with that theory!

Does this happen to anyone using only 1920x1200 screens? Is this only an issue with larger resolution screens?

Thanks everyone for the input so far!

Dominic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue seemed to occur as a result of using a 15 inch macbook pro (which does not allow scaling to different resolutions) and adding two more screens - a Dell and an iMac 27 inch. Have operated this way for over 12 months and only just now experiencing this VERY FRUSTRATING bug....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan,

I am having the same problem with the bin window in icon view disappearing off the top of the monitor. I tried the suggested
fix to no avail. Nothing has changed on my system other than PPCC upgrade. Please advise...I use icon view regularly and I have a large project with a deadline this is impacting my productivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mvanmetre: There have been a few fixes suggested, not just one. What happens when you choose Window > Workspaces > Reset to Saved Layout? That should snap all panels into docked panel groups. Then when you open the panel's menu and choose Undock Panel, it should become a floating panel within your visible user interface.

You also might try to trash preferences to get the panel sizes back to normal: FAQ: How to reset (trash) preferences in Premiere Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried a number of fixes, none worked…

-going to Docs, Adobe and renaming Adobe 12.0 as old.

-reset to saved layout

-undocking panel

Any other thoughts? This seems to be a known issue that occurred with the last upgrade.

michael van metre / w.415-456-2737 / c.415-606-9666 / www.vanmetreproductions.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try trashing preferences? I added that to my reply after the fact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not yet, I'm in the middle of a project and don't want to do too much.

Limping along for the moment. Have these suggestions been solutions for

people with this problem? Is this a known issue?

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 3:52 PM Stefan Gruenwedel <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, send a screen shot of your entire UI so we can see the nature of the unmovable panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get that as well. Not always, but sometimes. Nothing in my 2 screen mac setup has changed, except for the latest CC upgrade. Somtimes bin tops disappear like you said, other times I double click on a bin and it just doesn't open, or opens about a minute later. And, most annoyingly, a new bin often opens very small under other panels and I have to go hunting for it. It was never a problem before. I've tried re-saving my workspace etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke with Apple care and got nowhere. They said this falls into the area where Adobe are responsible (which seems nuts there is not some Apple shortcut to grab a window from the bottom). Used this fix from another Adobe thread, and have been able to continue on my project which is on deadline. Will have to explore further later - but this thread fix worked for me - Workspace turns gray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now given up on opening bins as new panels in full screen on my 2560 x 1440 monitors. I make sure the window is at 1920 x 1080 or smaller and THEN double click the required bin to open it separately. It almost always opens with the very top just north of the master window's boundary. I think this confirms my earlier theory that PP is confused about the size of space in which it is working. Once I have positioned the panels as I like, I can re-enter full screen without any issues.

Hopefully, this is easy to address and hopefully this workaround will help some others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dominic Witherow​: Have you logged this bug or asked for a feature request?

Premiere Pro: Hot (2601 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I logged the bug when I started this thread in February. Is there a way to follow up on it, adding any new details?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a test and discovered that you cannot edit your own post; you can only delete it. However, you can add a comment to it in its thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BIG DEVELOPMENT!!!!!!

I just stumbled across an ACTUAL SOLUTION, which makes no sense but is working:

I put my cursor at the edge of the panel the top of which had opened off screen (thus rendering it immovable) and said cursor changed to indicate it could widen the panel, as expected. HOWEVER, when I dragged it in desperation THE WHOLE PANEL MOVED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once I could see the whole thing I tried again and it acted as expected by widening the panel only, but I tried again and was able to move the whole panel again. It works consistently, but only if the cursor is right on the edge and a pixel further would take it off the panel.

I'm still on CC2018 (my MacPro, like ALL MacPros is now rendered obsolete by CC2019 processor requirements ...) and this works. Hopefully others can use it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes i agreed with @Dominic my MacPro, like ALL MacPros is now rendered obsolete by CC2019 processor requirements and this works. Hopefully others can use it too. Richestsoft

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines