• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do stereo and mono mp3 exports have the same file size?

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My podcast is in video format, that's why I edit it in Premiere Pro. But I also want to export the audio-only version in mp3 format. The easiest way for me to go about this is to do it right from Premiere Pro. I want to use mono sound because of the smaller file size. But for some reason, mono and stereo exports both have the exact same file size. Why is that?

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

But for some reason, mono and stereo exports both have the exact same file size. Why is that?

By @Florian Walther

The bitrate specified is per file and not per audio channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But for some reason, mono and stereo exports both have the exact same file size. Why is that?

By @Florian Walther

The bitrate specified is per file and not per audio channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but I don't know what to do with that information. How does this relate to the mono/audio file size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but I don't know what to do with that information. How does this relate to the mono/audio file size?

By @Florian Walther

When you export a stereo files, two channels, and set the bitrate to 128 the file will be let´s say 50 MB. If you now export a mono file, one channel, and use the same bitrate, iow 128, the file will still be 50 MB.

The resulting file size is not tied to either mono or stereo. The resulting file size is tied to the bitrate used upon export. If you want a smaller file, lower the bitrate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the explanation. But why am I reading everywhere online that stereo mp3s have twice the file size as mono? Do stereo mp3s need 2x the bitrate to have the same audible quality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But why am I reading everywhere online that stereo mp3s have twice the file size as mono?

By @Florian Walther

I don´t know.

I did a test with Adobe Audition and it provided the same result as Premiere Pro regarding stereo/mono file size at a given bitrate. Ask them what software they use and try it. Many "facts" on the internet are just myths or just untrue with nothing backing up their statements. It´s the same for video in general, lots of myths about things that none of them can prove right, or wrong.

Do stereo mp3s need 2x the bitrate to have the same audible quality?

By @Florian Walther

In theory, yes.

If you export a stereo file using 128 Kbps, 64 Kbps/channel will be used while doing the same for a mono file all 128 Kbps will be used on one channel. I have not tested and listened if one hear any difference.

mp3 is an effective codec though so it´s not like a stereo file will sound 50% worse than a mono file at the same bitrate. Going from stereo to mono will loose the stereo integrity, so i would never export to mono if the source is stereo depending on the content (music or talking) and the mix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your answer! That clarifies my questions so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines